PDA

View Full Version : '88 Audi 90 Quattro -squeals when clutch is depressed

tdreesman
10-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Ok, from my previous post I have replaced the slave cylinder. I bled it and now the clutch pedal returns after I press it and there are no leaks. (thanks old_guy)

Now, after I start it in neutral and press the clutch pedal there is a LOUD squealing sound and smoke comes out of the bellhousing & I can't get it into gear.

The transmission moves freely with the car off. I started it in 1st gear and drove it around the block just fine. No noise, good acceleration.

Is it the throwout bearing? Any other suggestions? Thanks! [:)]

old guy
10-31-2009, 12:54 PM
The loud squealing definitely sounds like a bad throwout bearing. If it collapses enough you will not be able to totally disengage the clutch thus making it hard to engage first gear. Unfortunately you will have to remove the transmission to get to it. Then you can inspect for any other problems.

Good luck!

tdreesman
10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks! I was afraid of that. I don't know how long it sat before I bought it. Maybe it rusted/seized or something?

I got the driveshaft off (only stripped two heads!) and front axles(?) off today. Tomorrow hopefully the gearbox mounts and bell housing bolts.

tdreesman
11-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Got the tranny dropped today.

This is what I found:
http://www.kaboominc.com/ebay/Audi/Audi06.jpg

I guess I'm getting a new throwout bearing!