PDA

View Full Version : Hate to ask but..... I have some questions on powdercoating wheels. help appriciated

derek2079
01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
hate to ask but after searching the forums on more info about this and finding nothing i am compelled to ask az and people with expieirence...

i have decided on 18" bbs rx wheels.

i want to either paint a high gloss black or charcoal

im not sure what exactly i am going to pay to have these painted professionally but i will call around tomorrow.

i suppose i wouldnt mind powdercoating them myself but i dont think i will because im not sure whether the paint has to be painted on or exactly how the wheels are done.

any feedback on this subject is much appriciated

Crisqo
01-03-2005, 08:01 PM
go powdercoat with wheels...
last longer and looks better....

pro. body shops would probably charge $50-60\wheel for painting...(no prepping..etc..)

derek2079
01-03-2005, 08:23 PM
you saying shops would charge 50-60$ per wheel to powdercoat them?

brettuzzi
01-03-2005, 08:26 PM
if you did the prep work yourself yes

derek2079
01-03-2005, 08:38 PM
what kind of work would that invlove to prep them?

what do they do when they powdercoat somthing? does it go ina an oven or somthing and get baked on?

sumpsfast
01-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Derek, why dont you post some pics of your car? Im sure you're lookin a loooootttttt better than your sig implies! Didnt you get an RS4 front and some Ecodes?

derek2079
01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
yeah i did sump i have posted pics but i dont have alot of new pics i have taken yet cuz i have stock 15's on it right now and my bumper mesh still isnt here from germany yet and my s4 sides arent on yet and coil overs arent on yet. just alot of stuff i havnt put on yet but is in the process ill throw some pics up when i get some stuff done tho ill take pics of my work in progress

audispeed
01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
powdercoating actually involves electrically charging the wheels so the powdercoat sticks to them. then i believe they are baked to cure the coat. its definitely not a DIY job. why get expensive rims like that and then paint them right away?

derek2079
01-03-2005, 09:12 PM
^^^^^

why not?

i am planning on painting them anyways so it makes sense to get them dope now when they are new and tires wont be on so i can take them in rather than ride around on them for a while then take them off and have it done

audispeed
01-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by derek2079
^^^^^

why not?

i am planning on painting them anyways so it makes sense to get them dope now when they are new and tires wont be on so i can take them in rather than ride around on them for a while then take them off and have it done

i can definitely see your point, but it just seems like a lot of money to me. granted alot of people get even more expensive rims.

Burntaudi
01-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Are you planning on keeping the polished lip? if you are it's gonna be a lot more involved to keep the polished lip look and powdercoat the wheel.

Basically what would be involved is they sandblast the wheel to get all the old paint off and rough up the surface so that powdercoat will stick, then they spray the powder on the surface, bake in a oven to melt and flow the powdercoat. After all that the lip would need to be machined down and polished.

You would be much better off with the BBS RXII the center can be removed and powdercoated and reassembeld.

Talk to Saturine I know he was selling a set of RXII that the centers were painted black....not sure if he still has them or not....but they looked sick.

EVIL-AUDI
01-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Painting is not the way to go for that finish. And there have been plenty of threads explaining everything in detail with pricing info.

Jooce
01-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Anyone know whats all involved in Anodizing? Thinking of anodizing the centers of my wheels... sorry to hijack your thread