PDA

View Full Version : How much am I looking to pay CV joint

Still Lost
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my car needs a cv joint and I will be taking it to the mechanic tomorrow. First off what should I expect to pay for this job w/ parts? Also is this a job that I could tackle and if so is there a DIY and where could I source the parts? This is a very trusted Audi/VW/Porsche/Benz mechanic that when needed did quality cheap work on my Jetta.

Wholsea
01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
A remanufactured axle can cost you $80 plus core.

You can do the job yourself in your own garage in like 30 mins (no joke)

all you need is:
12pt star bit (Napa has this)
17mm allen socket for the axle collar bolt (AutoZone has this in a kit)
Re-Manned axle

Loosen the collar bolt by popping off the hub cap (the lil part over the center part of the wheel) and break loose the collar bolt (it will be fused to the hub, I had to pratically stand on the breaker bar, once it is loose, it will be finger tight)

Jack up the car (both sides) put it on jack stands.

Remove the wheel, remove the collar bolt.

Use the 12pt star bit to remove the 6 (I think it was 6) bolts that hold the inner CV to the tranny, with some "force" you should be able to swing the axle out without having to take the whole suspension assembly apart.

Re-install in reverse order.

Can be intimidating at first, and it is messy as anything (CV Grease everywhere, no matter how clean you are.)

I got mine from International Parts:

INTERNATIONAL PARTS STORE THE RIGHT PART & PR
3233 E MAIN ST, COLUMBUS, OH 43213
Phone: (614) 237-7667

Talk to Jeff he'll hook you up.

oface
01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
I also did mine with the help of a friend turning the wheel back and fourth trying to wiggle the axel back in.

80.00 bucks is pretty cheap. I bought mine from blauparts.com for like 125.00 plus core fee (which gets returned of course.)

There is another thread here posted about a month ago asking about the joint too. might give you some more tips.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml

I think we need more in depth DIY pages on the Zine so we don't have to go over to AW anymore.

hadokenny
01-03-2005, 11:41 PM
80 bux is what my mechanic told me

oface
01-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by hadokenny
80 bux is what my mechanic told me

He's talking about replacing the joint not fixing just the boot.
The part alone is 80 bucks or more. unless your mechanic is gonna do it for free.

littlewhite
01-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Replaced one of them last yr summertime. I think it was the inner CV joint... so they need to take out the rotors and brakes, i forgot the total since i did corner and center balance on my car but est. ~**$200

Wholsea
01-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Call my guy, the job is pretty streight forward.

cbass
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, the job isn't very hard to do. One note though is that although most axle remanufacturers have a lifetime customer satisfaction warranty, remanufactured axles WILL go out faster than new ones no matter how good the reman was. For just a little bit more money, you can get quality axles from www.raxles.com that will last much longer and save you the hassle of replacing them as often. For me, that's worth the extra money. Give them a try, they also have a very good warranty.

Wholsea
01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Aye, if you can go new, do it, if you are looking for a budget fix for the time being, hit up some remanned deals...