PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt and stuff

fbdohc
10-23-2009, 06:12 AM
I will post some pics soon of my first audi that i bought
The car is really clean, of what i saw ! The engine runs like a champ, the interior is really in good shape, conclusion: im pretty sure that car has been threated really good for his kilometers, it has 240 000 km
And, is there a way to know if the timing belt is done or need to be changed with all the other stuff like water pump and tensionners and other stuff ?
Because i bought the car from an auction for dealership ? Maybe its not the right word sorry , i'm french and trying to type it right ! lol
Anyway, what can i check to see if its time to change all those parts
thx

EuRo_KiD
10-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey, Welcome to audizine [up] And nice purchase! Well, i may be wrong on this, but the only way to check that stuff is through like a carfax.

turbo_bootin
10-23-2009, 07:18 AM
There really is no way to tell, except if the carfax says it's been changed recently. It is better to be safe and change it.

fbdohc
10-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Alright then, i think its better to prevent than changing a block !
And like i said my block has 240 000 km, do you recommend me to change the block ? or continue with this one ?

EuRo_KiD
10-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Alright then, i think its better to prevent than changing a block !
And like i said my block has 240 000 km, do you recommend me to change the block ? or continue with this one ?

Well if the timing belt craps out on you it's the head that goes not the block. You said the car runs like a champ so i don't think it's necessary to change the block yet. Do the preventive maintenance stuff first and go from there [up]

fbdohc
10-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Yup ! ok !
And one more question about that,
are you guys recommending me an oem kit ? or any other brand ?
My last cars were all japanese and all the maintenance parts were oem but in audi is there any other brand that has the same quality?

dcampana
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
you can get the kit from one of the advertizers here (mjm autohaus, ecs, mike with ringer racing, 034... there are amny but you can probably find one that is in your country lol)

you can always do a compression check to see if all is ok with the rings/ pistons ont he bottom end.

BTW- congrats on the Audi:)

turbo_bootin
10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I would not go with OEM because I believe that they still have the water pump with the plastic impeller. Find a timing belt kit with a water pump that has a metal impeller.

fbdohc
10-23-2009, 09:18 AM
What does it change that it has a plastic impeller

turbo_bootin
10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
The plastic impeller can break and cause your car to overheat. Plus, you'll have little chunks of plastic floating around.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the Audi Family!! I'd agree with the above comments. A compression test could be a good first step in figuring out where you Audi stands. Most parts stores will rent you a compression tester too. All you have to do is pull your sparkplug, insert compression tester and crank the motor for a few cranks.

As for timing belts, it'd be a good idea to just do a new one. If the belt goes, so does your head. We offer a huge selection of timing belt kits. We also just negotiated cheaper shipping rates for out of US purchases. Check us out and PM me if you need anything.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply

http://www.ecstuning.com/product_library/4222/300/ECS%20Tuning%20Ultimate%201.8T%20Timing%20Belt%20K it-%20Early%20VIN%20AWM%20Engine%20Codes.jpg (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply)