PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the radiator hose back in!!

samleong
10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Yesterday the bottom radiator hose came off, then all the coolant has gone. When I try to fix that today, I can't push the bottom hose back in. It most likely because of I can't apply enough force(since I have to lay down on the ground). Dose anyone know any trick to get the bottom hose back in? Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot![up]

terraflata
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
If I remember correctly there should be a clamp on your radiator hose that might preventing you from getting it back on. Besides that I just suggest a rounded type tool (like those used for putting locks back into window rubber) and just "shimmy-ing" it on with the tool and some force, wet it a bit to make things easier, taking your bumper off would make things easier (and longer), but jacking the car up in the front should give you ample room to work on it. I would take a look at how it is put together, but Im in Vancouver right now, nowhere near home!

samleong
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I know there is C-clip that locks the hoses. I jacked the car up, but when I layed down on the ground, it is very hard to apply force, and I don't have much muscle...

terraflata
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Try just putting half the hose on by angling it onto the metal part, then using a screwdriver type tool (make sure nothing pointy as not to puncture your hose) just kind of slowly pull the other half on using the tool to pull on the rubber, using constant pressure to keep it from slipping off.

jpcallmotor
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Getting that bottom hose in is tough. Push in as hard as you can and slide that stupid clip in there. You will eventually get it, took me some time to do this.

tonelee1316
10-22-2009, 11:21 PM
try using a little wd-40 or something like it

xdewaynex
10-23-2009, 04:31 AM
I hate the design of the hose/radiator ends on these cars. I didnt think I was ever going to get mine back on when I changed the timing belt.

Haenszel20v
10-23-2009, 04:43 AM
no, no.

put the clip on the plastic end all the way. like its supposed to be, in the "locked" position. Make sure the o-ring and plastic ring inside the hose end are seated correct(flat, and far in there).... spray some wd-40 inside on the o-ring etc line that bitch up and push it on. you'll hear the clip "snap" into place. It wont' take much force w/the wd-40. Really, not much at all.

.Mad Hatter.
10-23-2009, 05:18 AM
is it really a good idea to put wd-40 on a rad hose fitting? it took some force but i got it without wd.

Haenszel20v
10-23-2009, 06:39 AM
is it really a good idea to put wd-40 on a rad hose fitting? it took some force but i got it without wd. Technically, no. But it works, and I've never had an issue with leaking. A "wiser" idea would be engine oil, but for ease of use/application wd-40 fits the bill for me, and usually saves a few minutes of spite-forcing the radiator hose.

.Mad Hatter.
10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
wouldnt coolant be the smartest? lol

somebody5788
10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Anti sieze? Does wonders on the pinch bolt why not here too?

terraflata
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
wouldnt coolant be the smartest? lol

Coolant or water.

samleong
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Just got it in with using some engine oil.

But I still have a big concern about the radiator hoses pop out randomly. About a month ago, the top one suddenly popped out while driving and this time is the bottom one. I suspect there will be a third time. Any way to make sure the hoses stay on?

terraflata
10-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Stronger clamps! If your hose is all loose then it's time to change it, but I doubt it considering the trouble it gave you.

.Mad Hatter.
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Anti sieze? Does wonders on the pinch bolt why not here too?

because were talking about the cooling system here

samleong
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Stronger clamps! If your hose is all loose then it's time to change it, but I doubt it considering the trouble it gave you.

you can't put a clamp on the bottom hose. Because that plactic piece at the end of the hose is hard enough that a clamp wouldn't make much difference.

terraflata
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Not sure what to say. I was sure there WAS a clamp there originally. If there isnt that might be why your losing your hoses, but like I said earlier nowhere near home, trying to remember the best I can how that bottom hose holds on. Wish I had ETKA on this computer!

.Mad Hatter.
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
there is a pin that ensures the hose wont accidentally fall off. both the male and female end (hose and fitting on rad) are grooved for it.

somebody5788
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Ya terraflata the hose ends are hard plastic and just clip on they don't have any clamps. I always have trouble popping them off but never had too much trouble installing. Sometimes I'll put a pry bar on the plastic and give it a quick tap with a hammer.

samleong
10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
there is a pin that ensures the hose wont accidentally fall off. both the male and female end (hose and fitting on rad) are grooved for it.

yeah but mine fall off twice after driving for serveral weeks.[headbang]