PDA

View Full Version : Molding bumpers and sideskirts

4BUCK
01-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I plan on molding my stock bumpers to make them one piece, as well as smoothing out some of the curves. In addition, when I get around to buying some sideskirts (so far I'm thinking either BBS or S4) I want to mold those too. Any suggestions on how to do this? Like, where to tape off, how to prep around the door sills, blending 2001 SILVER paint, etc. I have some experience doing this so I already have some ideas, but I want to do it right, the first time! Thanks!

Quattrocket
01-01-2005, 10:19 PM
i wont help u cuz your stealing my idea!!![:p]
too bad im too cheap to go buy the stuff though.

4BUCK
01-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Well that's where the idea started...most bumpers are $1000 a pair, not to mention I don't like any of them. My compressor on the other hand was bought at Sears for ~$300, it's electric and puts out 8.6cfm@90psi which is plenty to sand and paint. Most any pneumatic tools can be found on eBay for around $35, add in some materials like bondo, fiberall, paper funnels, sandpaper, etc. and you're still under $500. On top of that you now have a compressor, sweet! So any future repairs can be done by you, even more fun is picking up an orbital buffer/polisher for $50 (eBay) and using the air hose to dry the car!