PDA

View Full Version : Winter set up questions

Quattro 4 Life
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Alright so after a quick search i still have a few questions about my possible winter set up switch over.

I currently have 18's with some Avon A/S tires back at home, but the catch is one of them has a bend that needs to be fixed before I can put them back on. The 18s don't like to go very fast once they get some snow stuck on the inside so that's a slight draw back to using those.

Right now i have the stockers on the car with some summer performance tread that honestly blows in the snow. even with quattro i was shocked on how bad they did last winter.

SO i dont know which tires i should run: I am going to raise my coils up to a respectable height and was also wondering if an alinement would be necessary/recommended. I mean i realize that the camber is going to get better as the suspension goes back up but am not sure about the end result.

I wont be doing any of the swapping until i go home for thanksgiving break but these questions started popping up in my mind recently.

Thanks!

walky_talky20
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Stock rims are *perfect* for a winter tire setup. More winter tires are available in that size and the narrower tire with more sidewall is better for winter traction. Ideal size would be something like 195/65/15. As for the tires themselves, I like my Bridgestone Blizzaks but everyone has their own favorite.

With some 15's, new winter tread, and Quattro you won't know what to do with all the traction. Racing celica's and civic's between the lights in an inch of slush is fun. There is no competition except maybe a Subaru with Hakka's. Not that I would know anything about that...

jpcallmotor
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I rock 15x6 Passat steelies with 195/65/15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta(sp? my Finnish sucks) winter tires.

The ultimate setup, brought for $200 used last winter! I also have some OEM Audi logo wheel covers. Hahaha.

onemoremile
10-18-2009, 11:43 PM
16" AT Italia with Blizzaks. Bought for $450 used with 5k miles. Sold the next spring for $450. Net cost = nuthin. Good deals are out there. I found a few in the classifieds last week.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/snowtires10_verysmall.jpg