PDA

View Full Version : My head lights decide to break

lucidor
10-12-2009, 08:15 PM
The other night I switched my lights on (I have the switch on the steering column) and all of my lights minus my head lights or fog lights came on. I switched them off and back on and they came right on. They worked fine for a couple of days now they won't work. When I switch them on the parking lights come on but no head lights or fog lights. If i pull the high beam switch the high beams come on but if i push it into the on position they dont work.

I am guessing it is either the switch itself or a relay. any suggestions??[wrench]

slideitsidewayz
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I had this exact problem. There's a little copper piece in plastic that switches your headlights on or off. The copper piece gets hot over time and melts the plastic piece causing the copper piece to fail to connect correctly to turn your head lights on.

What you need to do to permanently fix this is either buy a new headlight switch and use that one. Or buy a used switch and take out the plastic and copper piece and replace that in your switch.

There is a diy on how you can temporarly clean the copper/plastic piece but eventually you will need to replace the piece or entire switch.

I bought a used switch for $25 on vwvortex. And replaced the copper/plastic piece and have been good ever since.

This was the answer you were looking for haha. Good luck dude.

Oh and to get to the piece you need to take off your steering wheel and the covers on the column. Then you can access your headlight switch.

lucidor
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
thank you[up]