PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Control Module

Kleckers69
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I have a 2001 A4 and was going to replace the module, I was wondering where it was located and how to access it.

I've done searches for it, and everything that comes back is questions about the airbag light.

thanks!

A4Rob
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Looks like it is under the center console according to ETKA

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/Rob_AP-Specialties/airmodule.jpg

TeeterTawter
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/module1.JPG

its under the climate control/radio

Kleckers69
10-13-2009, 04:28 AM
is it accessible by removing the HU? I have a double din HU, or do you have to take apart the center console?

Thanks guys!!

yung_wallace B5
10-13-2009, 05:55 AM
god i need to fix mine too and now it look like a PITA

Kleckers69
10-13-2009, 06:22 AM
LOL I hear yea, If I have to take apart the center console, that's not going to be fun.... I have the radio removal keys.. so it would be great to get to it from there... chances are, I won't be able to...

so wheres the DYI center console removal?? [:D][:D]

D's Avant
10-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Search for a pre-facelift short shifter diy and it goes into some of the details needed to remove the center console. Good starting point at least.

Matt@JHM
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately, they put it in the most inconvenient spot ever. We've replaced a few it it took some time. Just be patient with the radio removal.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
It isn't so bad, I take mine apart monthly to fix or tinker with various things. You have to bolts on either side in front of your seat belts (Slide the seats all the way back). Then one bolt by your knee when you are driving. These three bolts are covered by little plastic caps, remove them by sticking a hook or skinny screw driver in from the bottom of the plastic caps.

Then you have to pull your radio which is a PIA if it is still stock. You have two more bolts behind that which allow you to remove the plastic/wood grain trim. Behind that, two or four bolts depending on single or double din radios. All the above bolts are 10mm *I believe*

Unscrew your shift knob.

There is a little plastic pin on your ebrake on the underside which you need to pull out so you can take your ebrake plastics off.

Then there are 3 14mm bolts left. One is in the change tray/under the car phone port depending on trim level. The other two are under the rear ashtray near the OBDII port. Open the ashtray and lift/wiggle the tray out.

Assemble in reverse. When I reassemble I put the 3 14mm bolts in last to leave wiggle room for the plastics.

Ok, I think that is all of it. I'm going off memory as I am at work.

Kleckers69
10-13-2009, 03:54 PM
wow thanks guys! I'm going to tackle this in the next day or so!!

[up][up][up][up]

Kleckers69
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Wow, I just realized I was the last one to reply to this thread, over 14 months ago... obviously I haven't bothered replacing it yet. Anyone have any more info on this?? I have to tackle it and I am not really looking forward to it.. lol

Kleckers69
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM
for the future, anyone needing a DIY I found this... Going for it this weekend!

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec152.shtml

SDchargers
01-26-2016, 05:49 PM
The hardest part about this job was fitting a 1/4" ratchet to get the third 10mm nut off the front right side of airbag module itself. Man what a pain in the fucken ass, even after trying to lift up on the plastic vent that's just above it there is still little to no room to wrench anything. [headbang]