PDA

View Full Version : I feel weird paging Mike2.0 after someone else already did.. :0/

AforOuttie
10-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey,

I've got a question for you (and anyone else in the forum) and you've helped me out before and I like the answers you give.

Anyway, I'm in search of a turbo kit, but i don't think i want to buy a whole KIT (because they seem to be more expensive). I'd rather buy everything separately and as I need them. First thing's first, I consider my car kinda quick, I'd like it to be fast. But I don't need it to be super fast nor something that would get me a heavy fine for having a noticeably illegal aftermarket part. With that said, I'm pretty sure I want to rule out the bigger eliminator series turbos.

I have in mind the K04-015, a K04-15/K04-23 Hybrid (it's the compressor off the TT with a K04 housing I believe) and Maybe a GT28R. I don't want to have to change any of the flanges or inlet sizes. I hear all this stuff about the k04 only making 220hp (w/software on stock?). How much would my total hp come out to if I already have a catback exhaust, cold air intake, 2-1/2" FMIC w/ 2" piping and it's K03 chipped (1bar GIAC chip)? I'm assuming my car is maybe already around 220hp (roughly)? And can I just drop any of them in and do the software at a later time? Or is it absolutely imperative that they (Turbo+software) go in together. My initial plan (which is subject to change upon hearing words of greater wisdom) is a Turbo, with new FPR, install kit(obviously), and fuel injectors. I was thinking of doing the software upgrade and "high flow" exhaust manifold later. Mainly because I'm trying to budget myself to $1,200, for right now.

So, other than the questions that I already asked, which in your (guys') opinion is the better deal? I am personally drawn more to either of the K04's (from what I've read, just seems safer to my level of DIY'er)....but what do I know. (don't answer that one :0p )

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

-Charlie

Kyle H
10-10-2009, 06:53 PM
If you want to make the most power possible and still maybe be able to pass smog in CA, an aggressive k04 setup (pc-16) is as big as you'll want to go. the only other options if you don't want to change your manifold is a gt2x or elim turbo. when you start doing the obscure setups the price is going to skyrocket due to tuning the thing. I have a friend running that setup and he loves it. Lots of torque down low, keeps pulling way past k03 territory, and I think he got his whole kit for $1200 (turbo, injectors, tuning, fpr).

remember, with any higher power you will need a new clutch very soon. I'd definitely recommend a used k04 setup with the pc-16 tuning and injectors.

PoormansA4
10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
with that budget you dont really have any other options than a ko4 unless you find some good deals in the classifieds

{PMS}fishy
10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
First thing's first, I consider my car kinda quick, I'd like it to be fast.

I've ridden in a K04ed AEB, it was quick (2.0T chipped quick), not fast. I'd go larger if you want "fast".

somebody5788
10-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Honestly an elim setup is very well hidden so if you keep your stock airbox in there and don't put anything flashy in the cops wont know its not stock or even really be able to see it lol. At least w/ a small elim your car wont be a pig anymore. Maybe not fast but not slow.

AforOuttie
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Honestly an elim setup is very well hidden so if you keep your stock airbox in there and don't put anything flashy in the cops wont know its not stock or even really be able to see it lol. At least w/ a small elim your car wont be a pig anymore. Maybe not fast but not slow.

well, they already can't tell for the most part...

*note* the black thing is an added air duct coming off the corner grill in my bumper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/lowtrux4life/Car/Picture034-1.jpg

and that black hose is only ziptied to to protect the heatshield from rubbing, it serves no major purpose.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/lowtrux4life/Car/Picture040.jpg

can barely see the air duct in the corner..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/lowtrux4life/Car/DSC01864.jpg

TQMB5
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
coming from someone who as pieced together a kit and made a somewhat custom setup, dont be fooled by thinking kits are more expensive. After you get all of the little stuff and a few runs to the hardware store its about the same. Plus the headaches saved from buying a kit is worth a couple hundred. IMO the kit you will be most happy with is the 71r eliminator...

mike-2ptzero
10-11-2009, 11:18 AM
If you put an elim on that car no one is going to even know the difference. Every time we took an A4 to the drag strip that has an elim on it we would pop the hood and not one person looking in the engine bay could tell it had a GT28rs or GT2871r turbo on it because the elim looks so stock.

240-280whp + stock looking engine bay = Priceless [:D]

I would suggest just getting an elim GTrs hardware kit, injectors and tuning to start with, then over time just add the supporting mods you want. Another way to go is to buy a full setup with all the parts in a package so you actually save money then doing it over time.

I guess this "Paging" thing is most likely going to happen more often.

onemoremile
10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
What front bumper is that?

The turbo itself is a small expense compared to the supporting mods like the clutch, software, fueling, intercooler, etc..

If you want cheap and easy then bolt on an Eliminator turbo and keep the boost down for now.

AforOuttie
10-11-2009, 03:28 PM
If you want to make the most power possible and still maybe be able to pass smog in CA, an aggressive k04 setup (pc-16) is as big as you'll want to go. the only other options if you don't want to change your manifold is a gt2x or elim turbo. when you start doing the obscure setups the price is going to skyrocket due to tuning the thing. I have a friend running that setup and he loves it. Lots of torque down low, keeps pulling way past k03 territory, and I think he got his whole kit for $1200 (turbo, injectors, tuning, fpr).

remember, with any higher power you will need a new clutch very soon. I'd definitely recommend a used k04 setup with the pc-16 tuning and injectors.

I like the sound of that, PC-16 is the software? What's the difference between that and upgraded GIAC software? And if I already have a GIAC chip, could I have it tuned or flashloaded (?) to compliment the turbo, injectors and FPR? When you say obscure setups, do you mean the hybrid stuff? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm learning, I swear.[:d]

AforOuttie
10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
What front bumper is that?

The turbo itself is a small expense compared to the supporting mods like the clutch, software, fueling, intercooler, etc..

If you want cheap and easy then bolt on an Eliminator turbo and keep the boost down for now.

Gotcha, well at least I have the intercooler portion covered. The bumper is the new Rieger RS4 Look from LLTEK. When I got my car a while back and was getting new tires put on the rims, the shop drove my original Rieger bumper into the curb. So they paid for a new one, but they discontinued the old Rieger (which was better looking IMO) so I kind of settled for this one. It looked sort of ricer with the forks on the front, so I made a splitter to try to take the focus off of it. I guess I'm used to it now. But, Rieger started production of the old RS4 Look again and that makes me happy. You can't tell, but my bumper has been through some sh*t, it's ran over a huge dead deer and half of a semi truck tire, both of which came out from underneath the car in front of me and completely unavoidable [mad]. It has been repaired a few times and it will be changed some time in the future.