PDA

View Full Version : Common 1996 A4 2.8Q problems?

DaveS4
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm going to look at a 1996 A4Q (5spd) tomorrow to use as a winter beater. The body is dinged up, which doesn't bother me at all, but the following mechanical things are wrong:

exhaust leak
viscous fan assembly
rear bearing

I'm not too worried about the exhaust leak, I can chuck a new exhaust on for like $400 or get it fixed for even less, a rear bearing shouldn't be too bad, but what about the fan? How bad can those be and how much are they to fix?

The car has 270k km on it, I'm assuming a timing belt is due soon, but in the past year the following has been done: complete front end control arms, wheel bearing, brakes, tires, radiator, valve cover gaskets.

What else should I look for? Asking price is $1800CAD, I'm thinking of offering $1400, does this seem reasonable or am I in for trouble with this?

s vier
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Just get a 32mm open boxed wrench and take off the fan. Especially in Canada you won't need it. Mine is off on my 97' 12V and I had mine off on my 2000 S4.

Flash
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I had to replace a clutch fan. It was a snap. The part was 95 bucks from blauparts.com. I would not recommend omitting it.

Other problems I had on my old 97 was the ignition switch. There was a recall on this and hopefully it's been replaced, but otherwise it's a 25 part online.

Rear bearings are around 100 bucks per side for the part. CV boots like to go on these cars also, so check them out.

Hopefully the owner is honest about keeping up with valve cover gaskets. Listen for ticking as that could indicate the valve chain tensioner going.

Also look at the oil cooler (the box that the oil filter is mounted to). These like to leak and I've had to replace mine. It's basically a box where the coolant circulates through coils, while the oil pases through larger holes in the middle. If you see crusty pink or a lot of oil, could be the o-ring or the box is leaking. I think it was around 100 bucks for the part also.

That's all I can remember at the moment. I hope it's a good one. :)