PDA

View Full Version : tough decision

sittinherebored
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
so i could mod my 99.5 a4 or i could get this http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/1406396340.html any suggestions/opinions?

Seerlah
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
What decision? Get the S4[drive]

I myself will be happy modding my little 4 banger though.

a408
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
by mod your car what do you mean??

122xxx miles on an s4 is quite a lot, its going to have shit tons of maintainance issues and its not even stg 3.

if you want power, save the money and build your car and throw a gt2871, or 30 series turbo on.

you will have more power than the s4, be lighter and not go through the hassle of buying and selling cars, along with all the hassles of the b5s4 in the first place.

Sandeman
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
agreed with the post above

sittinherebored
10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
ya i was thinking i should just keep my a4, i had the transmission rebuilt so i might as well keep it. i sent him an email asking about maintenance, i learned about that the hard way with my a4

Seerlah
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I personally invested waayy too much money into my vehicle. Only one more way to go from here[wrench]. I would suspect a complete 2.0 build when I reach close to 200k:). Then it is BAT time.

sittinherebored
10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
his reply

previous owner told me the timing belt was done around 80,000 and cv axles had some work done not sure of specifics..I just had a cv boot fixed, pass rear window regulator replaced, oil pressure sensor replaced, oil level sensor, center driveshaft support bearing replaced, new key fobs, rebuilt vacuum pump for door locks. The car runs great turbos do not have signs of any problems. It does need a new oil temp sensor and their is a very very very small leak coming from the aux coolant pump (not the water pump). The part is 100 dollars for the pump and that was my next fix but I do not have time to get it done. If you or you know anyone that would be interested email or call me anytime and I'll meet up with you.

hiwords1
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
well think about this, he said it has to go. so next step you should do is haggle lol. tell him there's labor cost involved and you would hate to buy a that you know already has a problem. you know the usually bs and then tell him you want it buy need a week to come up with the funds and then when the time is almost up, call him up and tell him everybody is trying to talk you out of it. it may work and you may be able to buy it for 7500 or something.

Kyle H
10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
HTA30r + 2.0L

andyrew
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
his reply

previous owner told me the timing belt was done around 80,000 and cv axles had some work done not sure of specifics..I just had a cv boot fixed, pass rear window regulator replaced, oil pressure sensor replaced, oil level sensor, center driveshaft support bearing replaced, new key fobs, rebuilt vacuum pump for door locks. The car runs great turbos do not have signs of any problems. It does need a new oil temp sensor and their is a very very very small leak coming from the aux coolant pump (not the water pump). The part is 100 dollars for the pump and that was my next fix but I do not have time to get it done. If you or you know anyone that would be interested email or call me anytime and I'll meet up with you.

My guess is the turbos are going to need to be replaced in about 10k miles.

You up for that?

sittinherebored
10-04-2009, 08:48 PM
My guess is the turbos are going to need to be replaced in about 10k miles.

You up for that?

i have one genuine k03 that i bought because i heard out turbo's go out at 100kish but im not buying it. i cant afford the risk

Coopa
10-05-2009, 07:40 AM
S4's are going to be spendy on repairs, even compared to our a4's. Sure they are fast being that they have 2 turbos over our 1, but thats also coming at a steep price tag. There are lots of maintence issues you can run into buying a different car. If you like what you have and its reliable, keep with it. I bought my first a4 last spring and I've already decided its the one car I will not sell. Sure its not perfect by any means at all, but I've got a thing for it [:D]

terraflata
10-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I stuck with my A4 not because of inital cost, but future costs. I also stuck with it because it was easier having a more balanced car than using the heavier S4 engine. Working on an I4 will be tons easier than working on the V6. It all depends on what your plans are. What are your priorites, weight, cost, power(band), ease of maintainence.

Terraflata

KNaudi
10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
HOLD ON.... this is coming from the guy who was bitching last week about not being able to pay to see his doctor to diagnose a possible ligament tear in his knee? And now you are considering a B5 S4.

Unless you came into a vast amount of money in the last 7 days, you're priorities are out of whack.

sittinherebored
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
HOLD ON.... this is coming from the guy who was bitching last week about not being able to pay to see his doctor to diagnose a possible ligament tear in his knee? And now you are considering a B5 S4.

Unless you came into a vast amount of money in the last 7 days, you're priorities are out of whack.

i already stated that its not worth it to me and that im not buying it

KNaudi
10-05-2009, 09:23 AM
thank god.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
LOL

dcampana
10-06-2009, 09:01 AM
good choice. stick it out and go BAT later. cost wise it will be less (maintenance specifically)...

BUT first, take care of yourself so you can drive later. lol