PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket headunit

R3DL3TR5
12-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Hey everyone. I was at a few different local car audio stores today talking with the salesmen. I was looking to upgrade my current stock 6 disk with an aftermarket cd/mp3 player (Clarion zx845mp). THe reason is because my stock 6 disk doesn't play burned cd's for some reason and it is super slow at reading. It's literally worthless. Anyway, the workers at the audio stores told me that because I have the Bose system, I have to get some special wire interface/plug for the aftermarket headunit to work. The price was around $100 for that part, then installatation on top. Something just doesn't seem right with this. What are all your thoughts on this? Do I need a special plug? Thanks in advance guys!
-wes m.

PDRaudi
12-29-2004, 01:58 AM
yeah,
i just got my house remodeled and when it was coming to a new home theatre system, bose was looked down upon. seems that bose only goes with bose parts which is kinda stupid becuase when they goes paws up, so does what you have. i say bose sounds great when your buying a ca, but to work around future complications, get the regular setup.

so remember kids, bose only runs with bose, the end

if anyone thinks otherwise, educate me so i dont make the mistake of sounding stupid again

Chard
12-29-2004, 02:11 AM
The cd changer is the same for Bose and non-Bose decks. My changer reads burned cd's fine, so I don't know what's wrong with yours.

PDR: you're right about Bose in a sense. They're good if you're happy with keeping everything stock, but forget about upgrading them. You might as well not get the option from the factory if you plan to upgrade, as I have done. You'll end up saving money in the end. I have to admit Bose sounds decent for a "stock" system.

You will need an adapter to get that changer to work, or any non-OEM changer for that matter. The stock one is actually made by Panasonic and uses a round 13-pin connector. Even the aftermarket Panasonic changers that have a round 13-pin connector need an adaptor for it to work with the OEM deck.

jones3000
12-29-2004, 02:11 AM
why not just go with the Phatbox? I've had it for over a year and I love it. Kinda like an Ipod, but no extra wires(works with the stock head unit) and the standard cartridge holds up to 5,000 songs.

click here (http://www.phatnoise.com) to check it out.

greengravy
01-03-2005, 02:16 PM
i have that headunit, its nice. i dont want it anymore. pm me for more info... i also have 3 other ones... those 3 are posted in the for sale section.