PDA

View Full Version : Headlight wiring

Axle
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I made the mistake of not making labels before disassembling everything and now I don't remember how the wires go back together. Car has been sitting for quite some time so I can't just go and retrace steps.

The trouble I am having is there are 2 wires, a solid white and a solid black that need to connect to something but I can't figure out what.

One end of the white wire goes back to the bigger collection of wires that splits into the headlight/turn signal, the other end is not connected to anything and has a plastic tube end on it as if it were connected to some other wire that would plug into the other end of that tube.

The black wire has one end that also has the joinder tube on it and the other end is just frayed wire, but neither end is connected to anything. I know the black and white wires are related to one another because they are ziptied to each other (not my doing) and have one end capped off by the plastic joinder tube.

In looking at the other headlight, the black wire looks to be part of the headlight wiring that is inside housing (as opposed to just out in the engine bay somewhere) but it also has one end of the black wire with a frayed end not connected to anything.

Anyone have any idea how these might go back together with one another? I'm about to lose my mind over this and the car really HAS to get back on the road ASAP.

schmally
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
bump.... help this guy out people.

JPJ2007
10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
What year is your car?

I havea 98.5 and I'm actually in the middle of taking a break, I'm swapping out the stocks
for Valeo Facelift Projector lights...

I can take some pics of the old harness if you have the same one.... Round connector

I know for a fact if you have the two peice lights with the fogs inside them,
The black wire is for the foglight....
then you have a Brown wire (Ground) with two connections at the end, One for the fog also, And one for the High beam...
Then you have the Low beam which is Yellow and brown.

Took me awhile, But I figured the black was ground. Then figured out the black is actually power, and the brown is ground... yellow power.

Why couldnt they just use red and black? lol

Let me know if you need me to take pictures or explain myself better...

Axle
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Mine is a 98.5 as well. I would really appreciate it if you could take the picture and label it all up. I have one good headlight I had to purchase with the wiring all done correctly in there but obviously, I cannot seem to figure out where the wires from the engine bay are supposed to go into the headlights in order for them to work. I have even considered that perhaps that the one black wire that is not connected to anything runs across the front of the car and connects the 2 headlights together but I don't want to guess and end up blowing about $40 of light bulbs. [headbang]

JPJ2007
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll snap those pics for you here in just a bit. (Give me an hour or so, Want to continue with my swap)
PS: I'll be selling my Old 2 piece Headlights that are in perfect cond, If interested PM me.
They will include Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs and fog bulbs. So $100 worth of bulbs. lol

But, I'll get those up for ya man. Always willing to help when I can.

danphines
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
this what you want???

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/instructions/audi-a4-round-plug.jpg

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/instructions/audi-a4-8pin-dplug.jpg

Axle
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
No, but that will surely come in handy. The problem I am having is it looks like someone who worked on the car before me ran wires to the headlights not through the round harness connector but rather right into the casing of the headlight. I just need to figure out how on earth it is that they made it work. [wrench]

AudiTurbo
10-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Are you still using the round pre-facelift connector and was that easier then cutting and splicing?
I guess what I'm trying to say is it ok if I just used my round connector in the ecodes I'm about to buy instead of buying the harness and can you point me in the direction to make this work!

Please let me know cause I'm about to buy some headlights

LaserRedKid
10-21-2009, 12:42 AM
The problem I am having is it looks like someone who worked on the car before me ran wires to the headlights not through the round harness connector but rather right into the casing of the headlight. [wrench]

It is very possible the previous owner, rewire the headlight wiring using a separate relay, it is not uncommon if they used some higher wattage headlight bulbs.

AudiTurbo
10-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Are you still using the round pre-facelift connector and was that easier then cutting and splicing?
I guess what I'm trying to say is it ok if I just used my round connector in the ecodes I'm about to buy instead of buying the harness and can you point me in the direction to make this work!

Please let me know cause I'm about to buy some headlights