PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Upgrades! Pics included

danphines
10-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Well my screen was going to shit on my a4 cluster and i was going to send it out but then i found an s4 cluster for 80 dollars. 80 DOLLARS! so i decided to just grab that up and im going to send that one out to get fixed. also managed to get my hands on a vag tacho and i was able to match the mileage of my old cluster. install was easy it was pretty much direct plug and play. only had to change the coding and the mileage thats it. now on to the pics.
Before:
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/danphines/IMAG0030.jpg
After:
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/danphines/DSCF1249.jpg

speedydragon
10-01-2009, 06:48 PM
wow sweet mod!

hernandez3011
10-01-2009, 07:01 PM
hold on a second, did you say you changed the mileage? I didn't know you could do that. You didn't use vag com right? you used a Vag-Tacho which is a different tool? Where'd you get it? I'm surprised you didn't lower the miles. lol

danphines
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
hold on a second, did you say you changed the mileage? I didn't know you could do that. You didn't use vag com right? you used a Vag-Tacho which is a different tool? Where'd you get it? I'm surprised you didn't lower the miles. lol

yeah the vag tacho is completely different. they are hard to find. there are a shit ton on ebay but most are Chinese knockoffs. i got fine from some dude in canada. and no i didnt lower the miles i couldnt do that cause it would mess up all the records i keep of my car. i recored every oil change, tire rotation, air filter change, and i even include what type of oil i use each time. when it comes time to sell for an s4 im going to have all the information a buyer could want.

hernandez3011
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Ahh ok I uderstand. Thanks for the info

the_pirate
10-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Besides that changing the mileage on a car is ILLEGAL! [rolleyes]

witwer4444
10-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Do 2002 S4 clusters differ from 00 or 01 clusters?

This questions has always been in the back of my mind ever since I saw a member with his S4 cluster lit at night and he had the S4 logo lit up in the rpm tach.

I swear I saw this, it was not a dream. I think that would be cool, but since I dont have an S4, I think it would just be somewhat Ricey.

danphines
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Do 2002 S4 clusters differ from 00 or 01 clusters?

This questions has always been in the back of my mind ever since I saw a member with his S4 cluster lit at night and he had the S4 logo lit up in the rpm tach.

I swear I saw this, it was not a dream. I think that would be cool, but since I dont have an S4, I think it would just be somewhat Ricey.

im not familiar with the different year s4 clusters but i dont think the 2002 does. my 2000 cluster does have the s4 logo on the speedo but it doesnt light up. and im not to worried about my car not being an s4 i plan on doing a full s4 conversion pretty much outside and inside except im keeping the 1.8T and ill probably throw an eliminator on. i just dont want shit ass gas mileage and to have to pull the engine just to work on it otherwise i could justify getting an s4. plus the insurance on the a4 is much nicer to me.

ForceFed
10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
so does the LCD screen work on this one then?

danphines
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
so does the LCD screen work on this one then?

for 80 bucks? i wish it worked lol im sending it to modulemasters in 2 weeks when they get their next shipment of screens in. they only charge 120 and then ill just sell my old cluster. plus now that i have the vag tacho i can change the cluster i sell to the buyers mileage. i think im going to hold onto the vag tacho though. im an honest guy with it but i dont think i want it spreading around i only foresee bad things coming from that....plus im pretty sure its not legal so i dont want to be caught selling it to someone who cuts their mileage in half, sells their car, and then points the finger at me when they get caught.

ForceFed
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
ya i was going to say if that works thats a deal of a lifetime

discontained
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
nice, looks alot better, I was thinking about doing this but wasnt sure. Did you have to recode anything or was it PnP? thanks

danphines
10-02-2009, 07:07 AM
nice, looks alot better, I was thinking about doing this but wasnt sure. Did you have to recode anything or was it PnP? thanks

all i had to recode was the number of cylinders. plus i changed the mileage since the s4 cluster had 194,xxx miles and i only had 132,xxx miles but that cant be done with the vag com i had to do it with the vag tacho.

flynnr
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
diggin it

discontained
10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
all i had to recode was the number of cylinders. plus i changed the mileage since the s4 cluster had 194,xxx miles and i only had 132,xxx miles but that cant be done with the vag com i had to do it with the vag tacho.

thanks for the info! I think i might go ahead and get teh s4 cluster since my LED screen is far beyond reading.

[up]

witwer4444
10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
whered you get the cluster for 80?

danphines
10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
from the classifieds here on audizine. gotta keep your eyes out for deals!