PDA

View Full Version : need info on stock ignition timing

JK35
10-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I need info on stock ignition timing (stock cams, stock motor... at what degree should I be at during cranking, and idle?)

My timing light shows I am about 10 degrees advanced when cranking. This is also what the ignition advance reads in my tuning software. -This can't be right... but I cant seem to find any info as to what I SHOULD be at.

I am running stock cams so I presume whatever the stock ignition setting is is where I should also be (regardless that the motor is bored/stroked/built, and regardless that I am running a CDI ignition.

Any help appreciated!

99blueb5
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
first do you have the 1.8 or 2.8? second that seems about right timing wise, also how do you have you timing guage hooked up? another way to check the timing is to go through the meas blocks under vagcom and it will show exact ignition timing

Mawhitey
10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I am sure at idle Vagcom says mine is running around 12 BTDC so it sounds right for a 1.8t to me

JK35
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I have a fully built stroked AEB. I have no motronic ECU. I'm running (trying to get running) AEM standalone.
I loaded a file for a DSM and changed the crank/cam plus a few other parameters, and it fired up, a bit too lean, but ran nonetheless.

Now that I have tried to create my own calibration, I am having some difficulties getting it to fire up, as in, it isn't

The basic order of procedure is to verify everythings operation, which I have, establish "stat sync" (synchronization between cam/crank sensor and the EMS, and then verify timing.

I clip the timing light pickup around the trigger wire to coil #1, have a helper crank the motor over, and confirm on the crank pulley and on the adjustable cam sprocket that my timing matches what the software says it is set at. I don't have anything besides a mark for "0" (no way to really tell precisely how many degrees advanced I really am) but the softwqre sys it is at 10.07, and I can see that 10 degrees advanced is right where it should be. if anything I am really close.

It cranks and cranks and acts like it WANTS to start, but -no go.

occasionally I am hearing a slight backfire from the exhaust when I stop cranking.
I have tried moving the cranking timing from 10.07 to 0-5-15-20 and back to 10.07, and while it either gets easier or harder to crank, it still wont fire up.

the injector phasing and ignition phasing configurations look really screwy to me. they were auto-generated, and they just don't look like anything correlating to a setup like mine. does anyone know where the injector and ignition phasing SHOULD be for this motor?