PDA

View Full Version : Problem. Problem. Problem.

SeekB00st
09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
It was poring down the other day here in good old Norfolk.
I opened it up full throttle to make a light and encountered a massive puddle. The car continued through the puddle for a few seconds and proceeded to die on me.
I waited a few hours and tried to start it, it just trys and wont fire up.
I came back the next day cleaned out the MAF and intake. Dried everything.

It still wouldn't start, I got it to fire up once after turning the key for 2 seconds or so, it fired up but very weakly and died once more.

What happened?

Also, I have a clear boost line running to the boost gauge that seems to have some moisture in it.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

schmally
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Did you hydro lock it.??? How deep was the puddle?

Dan[FN]6262
09-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Did you hydro lock it.??? How deep was the puddle?

if it were hydro locked it wouldnt turn over..... homo [rolleyes]

but seriously, it might be hydro locked. [:p]

schmally
09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Dan = Gay shirt designer guy LOL ;)

Broncoman75
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
If it turns over its not hydro-locked. I would however take the plugs out and see they probably got wet and fouled out. How is your intake and filter set up? it it stock or modded? If you are stock its not very likely water getting into your engine, so i would check your coilpacks and make sure everything ignition related is all dry.

schmally
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Pull out the plugs and turn it over a few times. Inspect plugs ..

SeekB00st
09-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Pulled out all the plugs, not wet at all.
The intake is a custom set up with an open filter.
The puddle felt to be 2 foot deep or so.

What do I do if its hydolocked and how do I diagnose?

99blueb5
09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
you need to make sure your getting spark and fuel, if i were you i would pull your filter off bc its prob soaked, and take some brake clean/maf sensor cleaner and spray it on the maf to make sure its dry from the water, and pull plugs(all them) and crank it over while holding the throttle wide open then install plugs and try to start it up at about half throttle

Broncoman75
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Pulled out all the plugs, not wet at all.
The intake is a custom set up with an open filter.
The puddle felt to be 2 foot deep or so.

What do I do if its hydolocked and how do I diagnose?

hydrolocked=enough water in the cylinder to physically keep the engine from turning over. If you are cranking then this isnt your problem.
I would do as 99blue says and take all the plugs out and crank it over for a bit and let the system "air out" see what that does for you.

quattro16
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
2ft puddle, full throttle, open intake filter = hydro locked!!!! Something is bent.

geeky
09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
hydrolocked=enough water in the cylinder to physically keep the engine from turning over. If you are cranking then this isnt your problem.
I would do as 99blue says and take all the plugs out and crank it over for a bit and let the system "air out" see what that does for you.

don't use brake clean, there is a specific MAF cleaner you should use and being hydrolocked does not mean that there there is "enough water in the cylinder to physically keep the engine from turning over" in most cases a hydrolocked motor has bent a rod or something of the sort and can NOT be started again without some major over hauling.

if you see water in your cylinders, its most likely gone and you'll need to either replace it or rebuild the motor depending on the severity.

The way that broncoman states makes it sound like you can just pull the water out and you'll be fine. In most cases that is not correct because liquids do NOT compress (hence we use a liquid for brakes, and to be technical, liquid compresses but at a very high level and that's when liquids instantaneously become gases, theoretically though) so when you get water in a cylinder and the piston comes up to compress the cylinder, the water prevent the piston from compression and in turn throws a rod.

SeekB00st
09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
How expensive of a fix am i looking at?
Im trying to determine if i should just get a new built engine all together or step into an s4.

Tifun
09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
kinda irrelevant, but did you take pictures of said puddle?????

lotusgardener
09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
2 foot of puddle is huge!!! Thats almost ground to fender!!

Broncoman75
09-30-2009, 09:25 PM
don't use brake clean, there is a specific MAF cleaner you should use and being hydrolocked does not mean that there there is "enough water in the cylinder to physically keep the engine from turning over" in most cases a hydrolocked motor has bent a rod or something of the sort and can NOT be started again without some major over hauling.

if you see water in your cylinders, its most likely gone and you'll need to either replace it or rebuild the motor depending on the severity.

The way that broncoman states makes it sound like you can just pull the water out and you'll be fine. In most cases that is not correct because liquids do NOT compress (hence we use a liquid for brakes, and to be technical, liquid compresses but at a very high level and that's when liquids instantaneously become gases, theoretically though) so when you get water in a cylinder and the piston comes up to compress the cylinder, the water prevent the piston from compression and in turn throws a rod.

It depends largely on how much water is ingested and how fast the motor is spinning when it does so. if a small amount is ingested it is likey to just stall out. If a little more is ingested it can stall and then hydrolock. if even more is ingested it can be catastrophic to con. rods.... It IS possible to bend rods i willl agree. but I guess I am just leaning more towards the first scenario. To the OP, is your car auto or manual? I would think if you have a manual trans and your car hydrolocked you would definitely know it. The engine would stop spinning instantly probably sending you into a skid or at the very least make very unpleasant noise in the engine and transmission

////D
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
If in case you haven't hydrolocked it, pull your plugs, change your oil, get new spark plugs. But before you do all that, pull your plugs and crank it to get all the water out of the cylinders. If nothing is bent, you can still save it.

SeekB00st
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
It depends largely on how much water is ingested and how fast the motor is spinning when it does so. if a small amount is ingested it is likey to just stall out. If a little more is ingested it can stall and then hydrolock. if even more is ingested it can be catastrophic to con. rods.... It IS possible to bend rods i willl agree. but I guess I am just leaning more towards the first scenario. To the OP, is your car auto or manual? I would think if you have a manual trans and your car hydrolocked you would definitely know it. The engine would stop spinning instantly probably sending you into a skid or at the very least make very unpleasant noise in the engine and transmission

It is manual.
No skidding, i don't really recall much of an unpleasant sound.
Should I pull all the piping from the turbo back to the throttle body and clean it of water?

SeekB00st
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
There is mad water above the piston, been cranking it letting it spray out.

Broncoman75
10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
There is mad water above the piston, been cranking it letting it spray out.

well. crank it over til water stops coming out. then leave the plugs out for a while let it air out. then put new plugs in and give it a try.
if there was no internal damage it should start up..
good luck

////D
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
well. crank it over til water stops coming out. then leave the plugs out for a while let it air out. then put new plugs in and give it a try.
if there was no internal damage it should start up..
good luck

Not necessarily, I had a vr6 jetta that this happened to as well. In the end the car got totalled out, but it ran with 2 bent rods and 4 bent valves. So the car might run if there's damage, just depends on how bad the damage is.

jlien08
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Not necessarily, I had a vr6 jetta that this happened to as well. In the end the car got totalled out, but it ran with 2 bent rods and 4 bent valves. So the car might run if there's damage, just depends on how bad the damage is.

we had this happen to a minivan too. we cleaned everything up, got it started and running fine. no problems, right?

TWO WEEKS LATER, it blew while my wife was merging onto a highway. meh, it was a minivan. good luck OP.

Siena
10-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd say something's bent. An engine turning without any load at 2,000rpm will suffer catastrophic failure if water is drawn in. You say you "floored" the gas pedal to get through the puddle.

So, the engine was loaded, I don't know what gear you were in, but the momentum of the car would be enough to force the engine to keep turning for a while, till it just dies. Contrary to belief, a hydro-locked engine with a bent rod can still turn, depending on how bent said rod is.

If you can't get her running, I'd suggest pulling the cylinder head, and see if all the pistons travel to the top of their bores.

Good luck, hope it's not a worse case scenario.

SeekB00st
10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Rods bent.
Engines done.

Mod please close/lock.

CrtchRktRcr
10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
sorry to hear that man.. check www.aara.com see if they will ship a motor.. they are pretty cheap.. if you're parting some sweet parts pm me