PDA

View Full Version : Interesting situation im in here...

pearlescent
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
So I bought my B5 12v knowing that the A/C wasn't working, since it was early fall i didn't care...

So everyone knows its tight quarters with changing belts. I recently discovered that my accessory drive belt was totally routed around my compressor, bypassing it all together. I'm a bit embarrassed to say it took me the whole 2 years of wrenching on my car to notice that. SOoo, WTF kinda belt is this?

Intrigued with this mystery belt I did some research and found out that all the B5 12v's released in North America had standard a/c. But I found a European engine diagram that shows a belt that is shorter because of the absence of the a/c compressor. I don't have the time to change the compressor out and get a normal belt so I need a damn European non a/c belt. I'm struggling to find the part number. My belt is bare with no numbers or markings, which further indicates that i need to change it.

Can anyone hook me up with a European supplier or a part number?

Bimmerman
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Just take the old one to a parts store, I bet they can measure it and have one to fit.

pearlescent
09-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Just take the old one to a parts store, I bet they can measure it and have one to fit.

Yeah, that I can do, but id like to get the part number so I can order a good quality item not a duralast belt from autozone.... ehhh

Bimmerman
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Try Napa, I think they offer Goodyear belts. I am pretty sure Advanced does to.

andyrew
09-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Napa really is the good stuff... I'd hit there first..

pearlescent
09-30-2009, 12:08 AM
OK, ive found an article on Audiworld: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2101644 This guy with a 95' B4 90 quattro (same 12v engine) wanted to drop the compressor off to get more power and gave the part number of the belt he was using. Turns out that 6pk1623mm is the same accessory belt used on a 1993 Volvo 850!! Looks like I'm going to Napa to pick up a Volvo belt. lol

pearlescent
09-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Here's a sweet belt reference for all Audi engines *this includes north American and European setups aswell* Just scroll down to the Audi section to see what belt you need.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/Drive_Belts.pdf

maxspeed
09-30-2009, 09:06 AM
he starts off wanting the quality part for his car, and ends up with a belt from Napa for a volvo....

oooh the internet...

pearlescent
09-30-2009, 10:16 AM
he starts off wanting the quality part for his car, and ends up with a belt from Napa for a volvo....

oooh the internet...

Its actually a Continental belt, pretty good if you ask me, has to be ordered though however...