PDA

View Full Version : What's a good year for the B5s? I have a 7K budget; want a 2.8

oksk89
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm a junior in college and looking to buy my first car. My parents are helping me with this so my budget is around $7,000.

I've found this 2000 A4 2.8 priced at 6.5K with 89K miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=256548997&dealer_id=761778&car_year=2000&rdm=1254169792448&model=A4&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=6+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&ct=u&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=02155&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=9000&cardist=35&standard=false

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know a lot about B7s but not that much about B5's.

I've been asking sellers if their B5's have had their timing belts and o2 sensors replaced, as those seem to be prominent items that tend to fail.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

edit: Tiptronics only, please! no manuals

pearlwhite
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Um the last year model made [:p]

PSU S4
09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
That A4 is over priced i would skip check the classifieds section on AZ and you will be looking at lots of nice cars. With 7k you could probably pick up a stock S4 Tiptronic with 90k.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
That A4 is over priced i would skip check the classifieds section on AZ and you will be looking at lots of nice cars. With 7k you could probably pick up a stock S4 Tiptronic with 90k.

lol, my plan at first was to get an S4, but rarely are they tiptronics. Also, I don't want to risk shelling out thousands of dollars into a car that I'll only be driving for 2 years.

The guys at the B5 S4 section actually redirected me to get an A4 because I won't get a nice S4 with my budget.

pipe7284
09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
tell you what, buy my rolling chassis with built motor for $4000, spend $3k on a turbo set up and paint job, and you have well running B5.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
tell you what, buy my rolling chassis with built motor for $4000, spend $3k on a turbo set up and paint job, and you have well running B5.

I appreciate the offer but that's too much work..

I just want a simple, yet fun car that won't need too much attention during the 2 years I own it.

flashovermac
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
then don't buy a B5 [drive]

funny... but its true [wrench]

fazda
09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
your not interested in a 1.8t? they are fairly decent, not as much jam out of the box as the 2.8 but with a chip you can have some fun with it, and get great gas milage,

B5A4Kevin
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
^^ x2. imo, no reason to get a 2.8 as they are just as unreliable as the 1.8 (pcv piping, valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, cv boots, flange seals, etc), but also have far fewer performance mods.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
09-28-2009, 03:38 PM
WITH A $7k budget i would look into getting another car... (a better one)

oksk89
09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
WITH A $7k budget i would look into getting another car... (a better one)

Such as? I'd prefer to stick to german builds.

No civics, corollas, accords, mazdas, etc.

I was looking into a 2003 jetta glx with 120K miles.. but I'm scared it's going to become a money pit for repairs (not that the a4 won't be.. but it has less miles and is cheaper).

If I got a 1.8T and chipped it with the APR stage 1 chip, would it have more horsepower and torque than the 2.8L?

ghost6303
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
yes, a stock 1.8t has less power then the stock 2.8. but with a chip the 1.8t becomes faster.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
yes, a stock 1.8t has less power then the stock 2.8. but with a chip the 1.8t becomes faster.

I'm the type of guy who enjoys torque in the low-mid range.. so which one has more torque at the lower RPMs? A stock 2.8 or a chipped 1.8T?

Thanks.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
How does this car look?

I appreciate any feedback, and all the feedback I've received so far!

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1395972916.html

edit: the dealer's site says that it has service records from day 1 and that hte timing belt and water pump have been replaced.

ghost6303
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
well a turbo car and a n/a car drive differently. the 2.8 has power as soon as you hit the pedal over 1800 rpms. the 1.8t takes a second for the turbo to kick in, though when it does theres a huge torque spike starting at about 2800 rpms, when full boost kicks in. the V6 is smoother, the I4 is more peppy.

that looks like a good car, but you will always be paying $2k extra when buying from a dealer. also if you only have $7k to work with you should be looking at cars that cost no more then $5500 anyways. you should keep $1000 in the bank for that rainy day when something breaks, and another $500 for registration and taxes. that car will end up costing you closer to $8k after everything, which is way more then its worth.

tunaglove
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I love my B5 1.8T but it is alot of work (fun hobby). These are enthusiast cars, buy something more reliable 'till you get out of school. These are cars for people who like to wrench.

hiwords1
09-28-2009, 07:08 PM
00-01.5 for sure. i haven't really had to do much to it as far as maintenance goes. just the usual audi crap that happens over 100k. if you don't want to have to deal with the turbo and ICM and other 1.8t BS that can happen, i'd recommend the 2.8. i mean the 1.8t isn't that bad if you keep on top of things and don't go cheapo but sometimes things can get annoying. it is more fun to drive after a chip and mod though

Vrdady
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
I think you would be happy with a 1.8Tq, Chip and exhaust and they are really fun to drive. Gas mileage is way better too.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Hmmm.. I do enjoy the instant and smoother acceleration that the 2.8 offers.. and I really don't want to deal with the possible turbo issues. I guess I'll test drive both the 2.8 and 1.8T and see which one I like more. I have a feeling I'll lean towards the 2.8 though.

I looked up the numbers for the 1.8T vs. 2.8 and the mileage difference is only around 2 MPG. I have a feeling this is understated as I feel that isn't significant enough to be worth mentioning, as many of you have.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Such as? I'd prefer to stick to german builds.

No civics, corollas, accords, mazdas, etc.

I was looking into a 2003 jetta glx with 120K miles.. but I'm scared it's going to become a money pit for repairs (not that the a4 won't be.. but it has less miles and is cheaper).

If I got a 1.8T and chipped it with the APR stage 1 chip, would it have more horsepower and torque than the 2.8L?
I would get a 01+ A6

Seerlah
09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Why even buy an Audi to have for 2 years and purchase at $7,000? Personally, I would purchase some $500 beater to get me through those 2 years and place that money towards a nicer vehicle for when I get out of college.

oksk89
09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Why even buy an Audi to have for 2 years and purchase at $7,000? Personally, I would purchase some $500 beater to get me through those 2 years and place that money towards a nicer vehicle for when I get out of college.

Well, my parents are helping me with this car, and even though I say I'm only going to keep it for 2 years, I'll probably drive it longer. I get pretty stingy with my money and if the car has served me well with no issues until graduation, I can see myself driving it for a couple more years.

And as mentioned already, I want a car that'll I'll like and enjoy driving.

I see a very unhappy me driving a 10-yo civic.

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Well, my parents are helping me with this car, and even though I say I'm only going to keep it for 2 years, I'll probably drive it longer. I get pretty stingy with my money and if the car has served me well with no issues until graduation, I can see myself driving it for a couple more years.

And as mentioned already, I want a car that'll I'll like and enjoy driving.

I see a very unhappy me driving a 10-yo civic.

I can tell you 2 things:

1) The car is going to give you issues, but most issues are easily fixed. Some are morepricey than others, just know to stay away from mechanics and fix things yourself. People here can assist you in many cases.

2) Even though the car will give you at least one issue till you fix it (it is sort of like the Audi telling you that you better pay attention to her, or she'll treat you like crap), you will adore the car after driving it. I did the minute I drove it off the lot, and still do as I pulled into my garage tonight.

But I would recommend you to not get an automatic (tip) transmission. If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, learn. I would suggest an 01 or 01.5 Quattro with a manual transmission. Preferably one that has some mods already done to it. Some mods meaning exhaust, chip, dv, suspension,and wheels. That can be sought out for the price range you are looking at.

oksk89
09-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I can tell you 2 things:

1) The car is going to give you issues, but most issues are easily fixed. Some are morepricey than others, just know to stay away from mechanics and fix things yourself. People here can assist you in many cases.

2) Even though the car will give you at least one issue till you fix it (it is sort of like the Audi telling you that you better pay attention to her, or she'll treat you like crap), you will adore the car after driving it. I did the minute I drove it off the lot, and still do as I pulled into my garage tonight.

But I would recommend you to not get an automatic (tip) transmission. If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, learn. I would suggest an 01 or 01.5 Quattro with a manual transmission. Preferably one that has some mods already done to it. Some mods meaning exhaust, chip, dv, suspension,and wheels. That can be sought out for the price range you are looking at.

1) I don't know if I'd be able to fix things myself. I'm not very mechanically-inclined and doubt my abilities to pop the hood and work some elbow grease. My dad said he'd help me with repair costs if need be, as long as I buy a car within my budget.

2) Since my parents are helping me pay for my first car, they ultimately have a large say in what I can and cannot get. My mom laid an ultimatum that I absolutely cannot buy a manual car. As irrational as her reasoning is, she thinks that inexperienced driver (just got my license 1 year ago) + Boston traffic + manual transmission = Car wreck.

burner799
09-29-2009, 01:03 AM
o_0

cityfox
09-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I have to agreed with some of the comments here...you want a reliable car and you don't or can't work on your own car...you shouldn't even be looking at German cars period, let alone an Audi.

I don't think Germans have reliability in their dictionary. Some thing will go wrong even if it's not major.. small issues like a senor here.. coilpack there...busted hoses...or some sort electrical problem.

For 7k, i would look at a 95-99 BMW M3 models. I've seen plenty of M3 in the 7k-8k price range. These cars are well built, although, they do have senors and electrical issues...again we are talking about German cars.

I paid 7k for my 00 S4 with 86k miles on it and it has about 4k worth of modifications on it..

Bottom line just get a honda civic si.. if you don't want to get your fingers cut, bruise, dirty, or rough up.

At the very least.. if you do decide to get an Audi.. please do yourself a favor and get an 01 A4 1.8t..DO NOT GET THE 2.8. You will hate yourself.. oh, do get a 5 speed.

pipe7284
09-29-2009, 06:29 AM
eeeewwwww 2.8 automatic!!!!!!

not hating, jsut my taste.

Wholsea
09-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Do this...

Buy a cheap beater, put the rest of the money into a high-rate interest bearing account and sit on it for two years.

When you get out of college, and get a job making descent coin, use that saved up money as a retarded down payment on a really nice BRAND NEW car with a warranty.

TRUST Me. I bought a used car with all my money before college, then spent all of college shelling out money I didn't have just to keep it on the road...

Buy somethign cheap, save your money for something nice when you have a job and a steady income.

oksk89
09-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I have to agreed with some of the comments here...you want a reliable car and you don't or can't work on your own car...you shouldn't even be looking at German cars period, let alone an Audi.

I don't think Germans have reliability in their dictionary. Some thing will go wrong even if it's not major.. small issues like a senor here.. coilpack there...busted hoses...or some sort electrical problem.

For 7k, i would look at a 95-99 BMW M3 models. I've seen plenty of M3 in the 7k-8k price range. These cars are well built, although, they do have senors and electrical issues...again we are talking about German cars.

I paid 7k for my 00 S4 with 86k miles on it and it has about 4k worth of modifications on it..

Bottom line just get a honda civic si.. if you don't want to get your fingers cut, bruise, dirty, or rough up.

At the very least.. if you do decide to get an Audi.. please do yourself a favor and get an 01 A4 1.8t..DO NOT GET THE 2.8. You will hate yourself.. oh, do get a 5 speed.

Really? Someone was kind enough to PM me about his experiences with a 2.8 and he said it was pretty much trouble-free, and all he had to do was change the oil and such. No major or minor malfunctions.

I thought it was the 2.8 that was more reliable than the 1.8T because of the possibility of the turbo breaking and whatnot.

I'm not really sure about the reliability of the e36 M3s, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that maintenance and upkeep for those cars are just as high as the S4 and the likes...

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get the B5 A4. Even my dad suggested I get it, which means that if it does break down or malfunction, he will be willing to help me with repairs since he's the one who suggested the car.

.Mad Hatter.
09-29-2009, 09:02 AM
PLEASE get a manual car, your mom clearly doesnt know shit about driving. let me guess, she wont drive in the rain?

it sounds like your dad is on point, tell him to bring your mom around and then get a 1.8t.

for the record, dont expect any car to not cost you money, its going to happen. we dont want to see you back here in 3 months bitching because you need to replace maintenance items.

oksk89
09-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Do this...

Buy a cheap beater, put the rest of the money into a high-rate interest bearing account and sit on it for two years.

When you get out of college, and get a job making descent coin, use that saved up money as a retarded down payment on a really nice BRAND NEW car with a warranty.

TRUST Me. I bought a used car with all my money before college, then spent all of college shelling out money I didn't have just to keep it on the road...

Buy somethign cheap, save your money for something nice when you have a job and a steady income.

I mean, I'm not putting in my life's-savings to get this car. When I graduate from college, I'll be receiving a lump sum of money.

I think my dad will be splitting this with me 50-50 or maybe even 60-40 (me, 40), so even then I can still afford to do this with my savings with leftovers. And if I do end up selling this car in 2 years, for, say, $3-4K, I'll still recoup the money I put in from the beginning because, as mentioned, my dad is helping me with this purchase.

Really, money is not that big of an issue as my family lives comfortably (I hope I didn't come off as a spoiled cock). I also have a monthly income of $800 and I try to save a lot of it by separating wants and needs.

.Mad Hatter.
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
oh...youre one of thooooose.

oksk89
09-29-2009, 09:05 AM
PLEASE get a manual car, your mom clearly doesnt know shit about driving. let me guess, she wont drive in the rain?

it sounds like your dad is on point, tell him to bring your mom around and then get a 1.8t.

for the record, dont expect any car to not cost you money, its going to happen. we dont want to see you back here in 3 months bitching because you need to replace maintenance items.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but there is absolutely no way in hell I will be able to get a manual car. Simply no way. You know how mom's can be.

And really, as long as I don't have to shell out a couple grand for repairs on a failed transmission and whatnot, I won't be bitching about small repairs here and there...

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
You should really forget getting the B5 A4 altogether and pick up one of these bad boys. Packing a mean 10 gears of fury. Different sized wheels to give it that agressive look, time attack, and what looks like rear suspenion upgrades. Place some streamers on the handle bars and you're good to go[up].

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/billingtim/bike%20stuff/bikes001.jpg

Just joking. If you want a B5 A4, I would suggest to just get the newest one that you can. I very highly doubt you are into wanting to mod this vehicle. So, just get the newest one you can, 2.8 will have more power stock than the 1.8t, make sure it has a Quattro drivetrain, timing belt was changed, you have maintenance records, change the oil every 5k with full synthetic oils, keep an eye on service intervals, and keep the car well maintaned. It isn't like a Honda, where you can just place the key in the ignition and drive (I owned 2 of them, I know). I don't think any German automobile is reliable, unless the owner makes it so.

Edit: Please don't take any offense to my joke in the beginning. I was just busting your chops. I don't belittle people on Audizine, but some cases call for retaliation[cool]. Sincerely!

S4Killer09
09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm a junior in college and looking to buy my first car. My parents are helping me with this so my budget is around $7,000.

I've found this 2000 A4 2.8 priced at 6.5K with 89K miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=256548997&dealer_id=761778&car_year=2000&rdm=1254169792448&model=A4&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=6+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&ct=u&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=02155&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=9000&cardist=35&standard=false

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know a lot about B7s but not that much about B5's.

I've been asking sellers if their B5's have had their timing belts and o2 sensors replaced, as those seem to be prominent items that tend to fail.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

edit: Tiptronics only, please! no manuals

I personal would say get a 2000 vw jetta or passat. There german and look almost just like audis besides the headlights. The biggest plus about them is way less maintenance [;)].. They have automatics with tiptronics just like audis and im sure you'll find a mint one for UNDER 7K. My friend got a royal blue passat tiptronic with 127k i think for only 4000. But really its your money and decision.

KNaudi
09-29-2009, 10:06 AM
I know its been beaten to death already but you are going to HATE yourself for getting a slushbox

oksk89
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
You should really forget getting the B5 A4 altogether and pick up one of these bad boys. Packing a mean 10 gears of fury. Different sized wheels to give it that agressive look, time attack, and what looks like rear suspenion upgrades. Place some streamers on the handle bars and you're good to go[up].

Just joking. If you want a B5 A4, I would suggest to just get the newest one that you can. I very highly doubt you are into wanting to mod this vehicle. So, just get the newest one you can, 2.8 will have more power stock than the 1.8t, make sure it has a Quattro drivetrain, timing belt was changed, you have maintenance records, change the oil every 5k with full synthetic oils, keep an eye on service intervals, and keep the car well maintaned. It isn't like a Honda, where you can just place the key in the ignition and drive (I owned 2 of them, I know). I don't think any German automobile is reliable, unless the owner makes it so.

Edit: Please don't take any offense to my joke in the beginning. I was just busting your chops. I don't belittle people on Audizine, but some cases call for retaliation[cool]. Sincerely!

Thanks for the tips.

What do you mean by 'well maintained' though? Oil changes and all that seems intuitive, but what's the extra mile I have to go on an Audi that I wouldn't have to on a Honda?

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Hondas could have their oil changed every 10-15k (sometimes further) with conventional oil and have no issues. With these vehicles, you would take sludge into consideration. On the 1.8t, there was a recall due to sludge issues and Audi of America replaced vehuicle engines under a policy, along with coil packs for the DBW and timing belts (control arms may be on that list also). I am not sure about recall policy for the 2.8.

There is actually an Audi/VW oil approved list, which many go by (I use an oil not on that list). Click here for list (http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf). You would ideally want to change your motor oil every 5k miles with "full" synthetic (just because something says it is full synthetic, does not mean it is) and use good filters (I use OEM larger Mann filters, but will change soon to something else). Other than keeping good fluids in her (this is key), just be sure to be aware of common issues that the cars have. The timing belt is being one of the biggest one. You would need to change this no longer than 60k mile intervals. The Audi manual says different (80k on the 2.8 for prefacelift, 105k for facelift on 2.8, 80k for 1.8t models 97-00, 120k for 01 model), but I will be damnd if I snap a belt because of changing my tb every 120k. Hence, why Audi had a recall on that. Basically, keep an eye out on your oil (consumption, change intervals, pressure, temps, etc) and prepare for the little things that pop up. But for the better part, these cars are very reliable if treated well.

dcampana
09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
as you can see, we on the zine, will tell you our opinions. just like @ssholes, we all have them. Bottom line, if you parents are in agreement they will help you with the purchase and maintenance, hell you are scott free. We are letting you know the maintenance schedules and possible issues are much more expensive than that of Honda or Toyota. Although, you are buying German Engineering, so there is a premium for this.

I say go for it! stay logged in to here as much as possible. you will learn alot and there are many of us here that are willing to help, send links, give our .02 cents (for what its worth), and also bust your chops:) its all good.

If you are not going to mod, go for the 2.8 (get quattro) and a tip (ugg)... (both my opinions)... once you get out of college, i will venture to be this one will be sold and a new one (manual and turbo) will be in your future:) BOOST is so fun!!!

looking forward to reading on the newly acquired Audi....

seanj130
09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
lol, but this bike is manual, his mom wont let him drive a 5 speed!, let alone a 10 speed![:p]

oksk89
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
as you can see, we on the zine, will tell you our opinions. just like @ssholes, we all have them. Bottom line, if you parents are in agreement they will help you with the purchase and maintenance, hell you are scott free. We are letting you know the maintenance schedules and possible issues are much more expensive than that of Honda or Toyota. Although, you are buying German Engineering, so there is a premium for this.

I say go for it! stay logged in to here as much as possible. you will learn alot and there are many of us here that are willing to help, send links, give our .02 cents (for what its worth), and also bust your chops:) its all good.

If you are not going to mod, go for the 2.8 (get quattro) and a tip (ugg)... (both my opinions)... once you get out of college, i will venture to be this one will be sold and a new one (manual and turbo) will be in your future:) BOOST is so fun!!!

looking forward to reading on the newly acquired Audi....

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

How much does it typically cost to get the timing belt replaced? How about the O2 sensor(s)?

zeemonee
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm driving a 97' 2.8 quattro A4 and love it. It's the 12v, so keeps me from spending any money on performance mods. I bought this at 82K miles, so will be spending quite a bit for timing belt, brakes/rotors, etc (90K maintenance).

As for most of the posts I agree with, there will be maintenance costs on top of the money your spending on purchasing one. But, since it seems that money really isn't a problem for you:

1. Get a 2.8 Quattro, since you're dead set on getting an auto. Having a 1.8T auto would be like buying a prostitute and spending your hour talking.

2. Find a good mechanic either by word of mouth here on the boards, or checking out yelp.com. If you don't plan on doing much under the hood yourself. You could save a lot of money doing the work yourself and using the resources on the audi boards, but again.. money doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

3. Run a carfax, take the vehicle you want to buy to get inspected. I know if I would have done this... inspection that is... I would have found a few problems out before having to shell the money for it. You could always ask the seller to drop their price for the cost of the repairs.

4. And if you're getting an Audi near 90K there will be a huge maintenance that will need to be done, depending on what the car has had done already.

Anyway, good luck. These are just my opinions and I'm a new owner of an audi, so many of the more experienced members here have better advice.

my 2cp

zeemonee
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
How much does it typically cost to get the timing belt replaced?

Costing me about $1000. Thats the timing belt, tensioners, A/C belt, drive belt, thermostat, water pump, snub engine mount, coolant flush. Might be a couple things I'm missing that they'll be doing.. but basically that.

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
A TB job can be had for $600 tops. My mechanic charges $500, everything included. Most would purchase the kit for ~$250 and do it themselves[wrench]. And as the saying goes, "Don't fix it if it isn't broken". Don't replace the 02 sensors if you don't have to. And they are rather expensive for our vehicles. On the 2.8, you will have 4 to replace that will cost somewhere in the range of $500 for all 4. TB job is something that shoudl def be adhered to, though. Here is the just of it:

-replace things only when necessary ie brake pads, rotors, sensors, etc (ask here or use the search button first as you want to repair your vehicle correctly, not get raped by mechanics, etc)
-replace brake fluid every 25k or 2 years
-replace coolant every 50k
-replace motor oil every 5k with new quality filter
-replace fuel filter every 30k
-replace automatic transmission oil every 45k
-replace cabin filter every 10k
-replace intake filter every 25k

dcampana
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
x2 to what Seerlah is saying. maintenance will be needing on all vehicle if you want them to last. the harder you drive them, the more you will need to do, of course.

you can always ask costs of items here. i personally will do EVERYTHING myself. there are so many DIY articles, that you can follow and save thousands. just remember: righty tighty, lefty loosy, and you are good to go!!!!

I love the pride in knowing i have done it all myself.

get to BUYING!!!! so you can be welcomed!

oksk89
09-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice and guidance guys.

Come Friday, my friend is taking me to test drive a 2.8 so we'll see how that goes. Depending on how much I like it, I'll be heading home on Saturday to test-drive a 1.8T and finalize my decision.

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
The 1.8t stock is slower than the 2.8 stock. You would need an ECU flash and bolt ons to have a 1.8t be faster. I have an 01 and with stock power the 2.8 has 10 more chp than mine does. I have not dynod my car, but I would say I am around 230chp (guesstimation) with my bolt ons and ECU flash. Other years also vary. The prefaclift 1.8t has 150bhp and the 12v has 172bhp. You should take into consideration which vehicle you are looking at before buying. Then there is the drive by wire vs the drive by cable factor. I don't know about the 2.8 engine, but maybe someone else can add some info on that matter.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
A TB job can be had for $600 tops. My mechanic charges $500, everything included. Most would purchase the kit for ~$250 and do it themselves[wrench]. And as the saying goes, "Don't fix it if it isn't broken". Don't replace the 02 sensors if you don't have to. And they are rather expensive for our vehicles. On the 2.8, you will have 4 to replace that will cost somewhere in the range of $500 for all 4. TB job is something that shoudl def be adhered to, though. Here is the just of it:

-replace things only when necessary ie brake pads, rotors, sensors, etc (ask here or use the search button first as you want to repair your vehicle correctly, not get raped by mechanics, etc)
-replace brake fluid every 25k or 2 years
-replace coolant every 50k
-replace motor oil every 5k with new quality filter
-replace fuel filter every 30k
-replace automatic transmission oil every 45k
-replace cabin filter every 10k
-replace intake filter every 25k
that's an exception not the norm.... timing belt jobs cost roughly $1k

cityfox
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
oh...youre one of thooooose.

Yeah...you're ONE OF THOSE~!...

Uhh.. fellow ziners.. no need to explain to him anymore about an A4 1.8t or 2.8.. just suggest to him to get a R8 instead.. he lives comfortably and gets $800 a month.

tdn
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
this thread is entertaining. i've owned my b5 for a couple years and have had an excellent experience, but then again I do love working on my car and things do go wrong. you could own this car for two years and spend money only on oil changes, filters (oil, fuel, air, cabin) and gas, maybe one or two major items ($200+)... I don't thihnk it's nearly as uncommon as some here would have you believe. then again, those two years can just be you flushing down money. who knows.

I say go ahead, buy a 2.8 automatic a4 - see what happens, hope for the best. better yet, learn to drive a manual and get a 1.8t with a mild chip, maybe some other light modifications. if your dad is willing to help you and you can take the T and/or borrow a car IF your car is down for a bit, that would be great.

The car in the craigslist ad for the 00' 1.8t looks good, especially if it has all it's records and the major items have been replaced, I'd talk the dealer down to 6k even and jump on it. I think a recall you having a savings account? I'd allocate some of that for repairs, who knows if you'll need it, but as mentioned, it's a great thing to have in addition to records, another form of transportation and your dad helping you out with repairs (make sure to learn as much as possible from those repairs).

good luck with everything.

{PMS}fishy
09-29-2009, 04:02 PM
1)As irrational as her reasoning is, she thinks that inexperienced driver (just got my license 1 year ago) + Boston traffic + manual transmission = Car wreck.

There is no traffic in Boston. You mom is irrational. [;)]

oksk89
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah...you're ONE OF THOSE~!...

Uhh.. fellow ziners.. no need to explain to him anymore about an A4 1.8t or 2.8.. just suggest to him to get a R8 instead.. he lives comfortably and gets $800 a month.

Screw that dude.. I might as well get a Bugatti Veyron since I'm obviously ballin'.

You clearly missed the point doucheface. I'm just trying to say that a) I'm not breaking my bank by getting this car, and b) my parents are willing to help me with repairs.

bob12312357
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Hmmm.. I do enjoy the instant and smoother acceleration that the 2.8 offers.. and I really don't want to deal with the possible turbo issues. I guess I'll test drive both the 2.8 and 1.8T and see which one I like more. I have a feeling I'll lean towards the 2.8 though.

I looked up the numbers for the 1.8T vs. 2.8 and the mileage difference is only around 2 MPG. I have a feeling this is understated as I feel that isn't significant enough to be worth mentioning, as many of you have.
2.8 has smoother acceleration,however unless ur above 3500+ RPM I would hardly call the power on a 2.8 instant. It's actaully quite a bit more rev happy then a 1.8. The 1.8 has much more torque from 1000RPM lower then the 2.8. Also where the 1.8 falls flat on its face the 2.8 is still pulling. I also don't mind the 35-36mpg of cruising at 55-60 on the highway with a 1.8.[:D]

oksk89
09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
2.8 has smoother acceleration,however unless ur above 3500+ RPM I would hardly call the power on a 2.8 instant. It's actaully quite a bit more rev happy then a 1.8. The 1.8 has much more torque from 1000RPM lower then the 2.8. Also where the 1.8 falls flat on its face the 2.8 is still pulling. I also don't mind the 35-36mpg of cruising at 55-60 on the highway with a 1.8.[:D]

Okay so let's say I get the 1.8T and chip it. From a standing start, say at a red light, it turns green and you press the pedal.

Which will pull faster and accelerate faster? The 1.8 or 2.8? I'm a sucker for torque in the low-mid range.

Also, you really get MPGs that high? It says you get around 27 mpg at highway speeds online.

nyca4tqm
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Funny this came up, just went through this with my little sister who is in college. If you want reliable, unless it is new, don't buy an Audi. If you are in college and just want a car to get you to and from places, get a Corolla or a Civic. You can drive them 200k miles and not have to deal with wheel bearings, suspension bushings, broken springs, sludge from non approved oils, vacum leaks, engine mounts, bad turbo between 30 and 60k miles, unreadable dash pixels......and the list of bs goes on. Get something to get you through the next 2 years, something simple, and then get a real job and maybe get a decent car.

But I'm old and grumpy and bald.

Euromike
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
i totally support you getting a 2.8 for college.

I love mine, its pretty maintenance free other than oil changes, and has more power than any lightly modded 1.8 i have ever driven. Dont listen to all these 1.8t racist kids, unluess your gonna drop 2 grand modding your car, get a 2.8. more power than youl ever need.

Go for it. The Car will probably last you alot more than 2 years, you will grow to like it too much to sell it! b5's are addicting!

flashovermac
09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
also keep in mind, wheel bearings in these cars go about as often as a normal person changes their oil. Coil packs are practically consumable. SAI pumps go bad, control arms were underengineered from the factory and need to be replaced around the 90k mark.

eurobreed124
09-30-2009, 12:39 AM
dude get a 1.8 but it seems you made up your mind, also i know you cant get a stick soo just wanted to point out that, that really sucks lol auto is not cool but since your probably gonna leave it at stock i guess youl be fine. now think in the long run man think hard dont regret your decision trust me, oh yeah 1.8 ftw sorry 2.8s lol

burner799
09-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I've raced a 2.8 when I had just a chip and nothing else....It's pretty even through third, and then I pulled away quite a bit. Ran several times at an audi meet on a runway. These aren't fast cars stock. Most honda's will pass you up in a strait line, some around corners too.

Siena
09-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Guys, he wants to get a 2,8 quattro auto, end of.

We should learn to be objective - I believe the OP is looking for advice, with regards to reliability, model year etc. Not about how we would prefer a 1,8TQM.

In the reliability stakes, the 2,8 wins, it makes perfect sense, no turbo issues. How can one save money by buying a 1,8T on a budget, with the temptation to mod it?

In this case, the 2,8Q tip suits the OP's needs, and makes for a better all-rounder as far as stock cars go.

Oksk89, go for the newest 2,8Q tip you can afford, do your due dilligence - service records, CARFAX, get it checked out by a competent engineer, there are members on here in your area that would be willing to help you out.

Once it all checks out, you're golden.

wrp
09-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Beware of a B5. The A4 you're looking at has about 85,000 miles. Was the timing belt done? Any maintenance records?

My daughter is a senior in college and has been driving our '98.0 A4 2.8 30V manual quattro since she got her license in high school, and she loves the car. (We bought the car new in June '97, it has 125,000 miles.) Her college apt. is 10 miles from us, so she keeps the car as needed - parking in Baltimore is sometimes difficult. But it's entirely possible for a newly license person to drive in a congested city a manual to/from HS and at college. We once lived near Boston, and those drivers are on par with Balto.

But this past summer I spent about 2 weeks doing work on it (part time): Timing belt, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, new throttle body & vacuum hoses, control arms, tie rod ends. Parts costs was about $1000. In the past 2 years the radiator was replaced, brakes & rotors, ignition switch, sunroof switch cleaned up, rear shocks, in addition to normal maintenance like oil and spark plug wires. And up to 2006 we had an extended warranty that paid out a total of about $7000 for cam seals replaced twice, broken AC solenoid (12 hours labor), front wheel bearings, maf, and ecu.

The B5 is for tinkerers. I suggest a Jetta, which is a bit simpler but looks German.

anarchy.88
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
hey man, i have a 2001 2.8 tiptronic, has 120k on it, still running strong hell, never ever had any problems with the engine, just some leaks here and there, turns out it was just the oil temp. sensor, but if i was you i would get the car and do maintainance asap, because i never know what the previous owner did to it, or if he just dumped the car before it neeeded anything, first you do the timing belt, with the accessory belt with it, rolers that go with that, and the tensioner, also then do the thermostat and the water pump, by the way don't let these guys scare you away, if you know what you are doing this shouldn't cost more than $500 if you are doing it yourself, the kit that includes everything can be found at www.ecstuning.com these guys are awesome and very reasonably priced

Lou_B5
09-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I would suggest an 01 or 01.5 Quattro with a manual transmission. Preferably one that has some mods already done to it. Some mods meaning exhaust, chip, dv, suspension,and wheels. That can be sought out for the price range you are looking at.

YES! x 2

2001.5 AWM 1.8T 5- speed

cityfox
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Screw that dude.. I might as well get a Bugatti Veyron since I'm obviously ballin'.

You clearly missed the point doucheface. I'm just trying to say that a) I'm not breaking my bank by getting this car, and b) my parents are willing to help me with repairs.

check it out little man, why you getting upset?? You don't have a sense of humor? You'll need some in life otherwise you'll be fighting everyone in life. Relax a little~!

You came here looking for advice...people supplied with their experiences and you get upset over a little comment which happens to be valid by your own account.

If you're mom is buying the car..get that 2.8 A4 automatic..if not, get the 1.8t manual..

Relax richie rich..