PDA

View Full Version : D2S bulb

audiluxary
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
My passenger side bulb went out and I was wondering if anyone knows what bulb I have and what I can replace it with. I pilled the bulb and the only thing written on the side is E1 with a circle around it and 03V DOT G222. I have looked and the bulbs I have seen don't look the same as the one I have. Any help as to who makes this bulb or where I can buy it would be great thanks.

Seerlah
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Are they Valeo headlights? And if so, halogen or xenon?

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Are they Valeo headlights? And if so, halogen or xenon?

Yes valeo headlights and they are xenon.

NyteEscape
09-29-2009, 04:35 PM
i believe oem square base are the d1s, the round base are the d2s.

for a final answer, post up a pic here and im sure someone will tell you.

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
i believe oem square base are the d1s, the round base are the d2s.

for a final answer, post up a pic here and im sure someone will tell you.

I was just trying to do that and my camera is dead, give me a minute.

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Here ae 2 pix of the bulb I pulled, I hope someone can tell me where to get this and what brand it is. Thanks in advance.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/averysmommy04/DSCN1616.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/averysmommy04/DSCN1618.jpg

Chard
09-29-2009, 05:30 PM
that's a H7 bulb...not OEM.

Seerlah
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
That is not an H7 bulb. I don't have experience with the xenon headlights, but if you indeed have Valeo Xenon headlights with a Valeo Xeonon ballast (on underside of headlamp) then you should use D2S bulbs. Recommended replacementa are Phillips D2S bulbs in whatever temp you want. They can be pricey, though.

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Great, so what bulb is it? I just want to order one because I drive to work early when it's dark so I am sick of turning my high beams on to cover it up.

NyteEscape
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
definitely not an h7. it looks like a d2s that is used fr retrofitting into a h7 housing. might want to double check that though.

or hit up hidconcept.com. sure they can help you out.

goonies
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
definitely not an h7. it looks like a d2s that is used fr retrofitting into a h7 housing.

this is correct. i can post more pics if you need more help

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts but does anyone know where I can purchase this at so I can HAVE LIGHT? All the D2S bulbs I see you have to buy them in pairs and the bottom looks like a circle but mine is a circle with a chunk taken out of it. A set cast over a $100 dollars so if I could buy one somewhere that would be better.

Chard
09-29-2009, 06:48 PM
definitely not an h7. it looks like a d2s that is used fr retrofitting into a h7 housing. might want to double check that though.

or hit up hidconcept.com. sure they can help you out.

Oops, I didn't look at the base. Right, it looks like a D2S with the h7 adapter.

You probably have A4 projector headlights (non-xenon) and an aftermarket HID kit that uses d2s bulbs.

audiluxary
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Rgr so can I just pick up any D2S bulb or do I have to pick a certain one up? I can't find one that has the same base but I can find plenty that are perfectly round around the base.

goonies
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
option 1 and probably the easiest
www.ddmtuning.com
buy the h7 kit of your choice

option 2 buy d2s bulbs and modify
this
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/slickshoe/Philips-Xenon-HID-D2S-Bulb-Audi-TT-.jpg

to this
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/slickshoe/DSCF1047.jpg

red stripe optional

Silverstreak98
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
X2 on Goonies.

What you have are rebased D2S bulbs to an H7 base. This also means that you do not have Xenon Valeos, but rather halogen Valeo headlights.

For a while I ran D2S bulbs with the H7 to D2S adapters, and it is a decent setup. I recommend getting some OEM Philips 85122 bulbs though, as they will no doubt be higher quality and likely stay brighter for longer.

H7 to D2S adapters here: CLICK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-to-D2S%2fD2R-Adapters-for-Philips-Osram-Xenon-HID-Bulb_W0QQitemZ130305859928QQcmdZViewItem)

audiluxary
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
So I can get the Phillips and somehow take the plastic outer ring off and by the adapters to slide over them? How does that plastic ring come of the buls, slide off or you have to cut it?

Daft
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
You can just buy H7/D2S adapters. They slide right onto the D2S bulb and lock in place. You should not have to cut the bulb base.

Sounds like you have Halogen H7 projectors on your S4. I'm guessing that a previous owner did this?

audiluxary
09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
You can just buy H7/D2S adapters. They slide right onto the D2S bulb and lock in place. You should not have to cut the bulb base.

Sounds like you have Halogen H7 projectors on your S4. I'm guessing that a previous owner did this?

Ya when I bought the car along time ago the previous owner already had Valeo lights and some proojectors hooked up and they worked great and where nice and bright and never had a problem with them until now. I guess money well spent because I have had the car for almost 5 years and this is the first bulb. So I can buy D2S bulbs and that little metal adapter will slight right over and they will snap into the light caseing correctly? Do you recommend a bulb Daft? I looked at the phillips and they are resonably priced just trying to figure out the best ones.

NyteEscape
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
i think the general consensus is to replace hid bulbs in pairs. otherwise one tends to be brighter than the other. i couldn't tell if you were planning on just buying one or replacing both, so i thought i'd chime in just in case. i have philips bulbs, which i believe are oem and have yet to have a problem with them.

Silverstreak98
09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
So I can buy D2S bulbs and that little metal adapter will slight right over and they will snap into the light caseing correctly? Do you recommend a bulb Daft? I looked at the phillips and they are resonably priced just trying to figure out the best ones.

Correct, once you do that they should fit nicely into the H7 projector. Too bad this didn't come up a couple weeks earlier I could have just sent you my old adapters, but I now I'm back at college.

The general consensus for the best bulbs are either OEM Philips or Osram bulbs. Over time (at about ~300 hrs run time I believe) these bulbs will start to color shift. The Philips bulbs become more blue, and the Osrams will actually begin to get a pink tinge to them. Thus, why most people think the Philips 85122 bulbs are more desirable.

audiluxary
09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Thank you so much, I think this was the most helpful thread yet.

Yes, I am going to replace both bulbs at one, thanks for the info though.

audiluxary
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
OK, I ordered the Philip bulbs and that did not do the trick. I looked at my passenger side Philip Ballast and took it apart and noticed that it was soaked in water and it had gotten all inside the computer board. I orderd a new ballast and it came in and I installed it with the new bulbs, still know luck. I checked the fuses and the passenger side low beam light was blown now so I replaced it and still know luck. WTF, what can be wrong with this. The little back up light that is inside the head light stays lit when I turn the light switch to parking lights or low beam light but the passenger low beam won't go on. High beams work on both but low beam on passenger side doesn't.

black99.5a4
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Oops, I didn't look at the base. Right, it looks like a D2S with the h7 adapter.

You probably have A4 projector headlights (non-xenon) and an aftermarket HID kit that uses d2s bulbs.

you dont know what you're talking about, so just shut up.

that is what a d2s bulb looks like... there is no adapter on that. The aftermarket HID kits that have the adapter, adapts from a h7 base to a d2s base in the wiring, not the fucking bulb.

You have a d2s bulb.

www.ddmtuning.com carries VERY good quality bulbs for 30 a pair i think it is. plus the bulb has a 1 yr warranty.

black99.5a4
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
OK, I ordered the Philip bulbs and that did not do the trick. I looked at my passenger side Philip Ballast and took it apart and noticed that it was soaked in water and it had gotten all inside the computer board. I orderd a new ballast and it came in and I installed it with the new bulbs, still know luck. I checked the fuses and the passenger side low beam light was blown now so I replaced it and still know luck. WTF, what can be wrong with this. The little back up light that is inside the head light stays lit when I turn the light switch to parking lights or low beam light but the passenger low beam won't go on. High beams work on both but low beam on passenger side doesn't.

Check to see if it didnt blow again (the fuse) it might be something in the wiring got cooked when the ballast shorted out. I've smoked some wires from a shorted ballast.

somebody5788
10-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I have the same bulb. Mine is an H7 bulb socket w/ a D2S bulb and plug in it sold by VVME and it looks like the bulb was shaved to fit the adapter ring on it. If it turns out your ballast is bad I would personally just spend the 70-80 bux for bulbs and ballasts on both sides from DDM. Although your first bet would be to see if you already have their kit and see if you can warranty it.

audiluxary
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
The fuse did not blow again, I checked. This sucks because I have already spent money on this shit. What ballast / bulbs are you ordering from DDM? The slim ballast or the rapter ones. The rapter ones are only $40 for the ballast, bulbs and everything, what the f**k,m how so cheap. I spent $75 on my bulbs alone and that was from searching hard for that price.

audiluxary
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
See if I got a new ballast and it still doesn't work then it's not the ballast correct? I tried my other bulbs that I know are good and still nothing. So, 3 bulbs nothing, new ballast nothing, and the safety light works so that power is ran through the ballast correct? So if it's not the ballast or fuse how can I check to see maybe if it's the wireing?

black99.5a4
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
swap sides with your ballasts..

goonies
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
option 1 and probably the easiest
www.ddmtuning.com
buy the h7 kit of your choice

wow. sorry to hear you're having this much trouble with this.[confused]

audiluxary
10-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Simple advise from black99.5 a4 and I switched the ballast and long and behold the new friggin ballast I got does not work. I emailed the company I purchased it from and waiting for a response so I can return this. I guess these ballasts have lasted a long time but damn these are expensive for some damn lights. What ones are you guys buying from that company listed above? They are so cheap and I guess you guys are having good results with them. When I get refunded I might just purchase a set from them. What ones are you guys ordering?

Silverstreak98
10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
OEM Valeo ballasts, ignitors, Osram bulbs, etc. [up]

Definitely not the cheapest way to go though.

Contact Akinaboy on here if you are interested, thats where I got all my OEM HID stuff.

Seerlah
10-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I am running OEM Valeo headlights with a 55w 5000k H7 HID kit (non-DDM Tuning) with no issues whatsoever.