PDA

View Full Version : CEL Light is on...

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Sup to all....yesterday, I had replaced my stock air filter with a K&N air filter. After driving, I noticed that the car didn't have as much pull as before. I also went to to get an inspection. After passing the inspection, I noticed that my check engine light went on. I wasn't able to check it out as of yet... do you think it could be my diverter valve going bad, because I did chip the car about 8,000 miles ago. I do have a new dv ready, just been consumed with work and other bs of life...i just need your opinions on what you think it could be...thanks in advance!

schmally
09-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Did you oil your K&N really good??

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 06:52 AM
it was brand new....

schmally
09-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Yes but did you oil it??

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
no...could that make the ecu throw the check engine sign?

schmally
09-25-2009, 07:15 AM
yes if the oil got into the maf it can ruin it.

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 07:25 AM
ok....so if I oil it, what's the best thing to use?

Seerlah
09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
yes if the oil got into the maf it can ruin it.

He said he did not oil it.

OP: Scan your car, replace your dv, and post up what codes you pulled. Oil filters are not really good because the oil can build up on the MAF sensor element. People suggest to just use light oil. I on the other hand would suggest to only use dry filters. Whether that be a dry cone filter or dry panel filter.

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 07:30 AM
cool. I'll finally replace the DV, and go to my local shop to see if they can scan it.

Seerlah
09-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Most shops will charge for a scan, but cool shops and the people involved would do it for free if they are really nice people. Getting your car scanned from a shop would be the best way to get the codes. Be sure that you have a paper ready so you can write down every code they give you. Also, you can use the generic OBD II scanner from Autozone for free. You can also ask anyone in this section (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142) if they will let you use their VAG Com (scan your car).

schmally
09-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Was confused. Not oiling it will not set a code, Over oiling it could set a code.. Have an autoparts store scan it for free.

BlurredRings
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
ok. My friend has a Vag-Com but he won't be around due to H2O...i gotta miss it this year due to some work. I'll see if I can get it scanned this weekend. Looks like it'll be a weekend project!

Coopa
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I put a new k&n filter in and started it right after. Had a cel, took out the maf and used some cleaner on it. Put it back together, no more engine light.

BlurredRings
09-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Cool. Did your car feel like it wasn't pulling as hard as before, due to the maf not being cleaned?

2001A4QUATTRO
09-26-2009, 06:21 AM
You have an 01. If you want to see if the MAF is a problem disconnect it and then run the car. If it runs better than I think you can figure that out.. LOL Also remember if you get it scanned after you try this it will obviously have a MAF code (because you unplugged it!) Good luck! If the MAF is bad you still need to plug it back in until you clean/get a new one. Cleaning MAY help but obviously there is not replacement for... replacement! :)

BlurredRings
09-26-2009, 07:26 AM
lol....imma try that and see....i also gotta change the dv, so ill see what happens after. I'm in the process of doing that now.

Seerlah
09-26-2009, 08:25 AM
If the MAF is faulty, it will make you run lean and can cause misfires (as a sign it is faulty). If you unplug it, it would make you run rich. Unplugging it in this situation would not really be of any help. If he had misfires, then it would help.

BlurredRings
09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
update: yesterday, i went to autozone and ran an OBD2 test. the diagnostic came up as the maf possibly being faulty... i gotta wait till monday to get the car VAG'D...and then see what I should do.

ghost6303
09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
btw K&N filters come pre-soaked in oil, usually way more oil then necessary. thats why you stick with stock paper filters, they filter better, flow just as much air, cost 1/15th the price, dont shit oil all over your $200 MAF, and dont need to be cleaned. all good things.

BlurredRings
09-27-2009, 05:00 PM
update: It's looking like the maf is faulty. I replaced the diverter valve (finally), and the check engine light is still on. Would the maf affect the car's "pull"?

Seerlah
09-27-2009, 05:05 PM
If your MAf is faulty, your A/F ratio would be off. So yes, it would not run normal and you should be running rather lean. The ECU will try and cut boost to save the engine till you fix the issue.

BlurredRings
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
got you. This is my first Audi, so i'm still learning the ins and outs of it. Thank you for the advice though!

bob12312357
09-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Absafuckinlutely, if the MAF is real bad you will misfire like crazy. If its just bad, the car will feel a bit gutless. Are you sure you maybe didn't pull out a wire from the harness or wiggle out the connector a lil bit? I'm in Staten Island, but go 2 school in BK. I got a scanner and crap, feel free to pm me if u need help.

BlurredRings
09-28-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm positive that there's no wires pulled out or wiggled out. it started to feel "gutless" after i dropped in a K&N Filter. Me being oblivious, I didn't wipe the excess oil off of it, and I'm assuming that oil got into the maf. i got it scanned by autozone twice (before & after i replaced the diverter valve) and the same issue showed up, involving the maf.

Coopa
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
If you've cleaned the maf and taken it to autozone twice and both times it was considered "faulty" your best bet is to find a a maf in the classifieds here. I've seen them go for 50-75 bucks.[wrench]

ghost6303
09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
a used MAF isnt worth 50 bucks. you have no guarantee it wont crap out in 100 miles. you would have to get more then 25k miles out of it to justify the $50 (40k miles to justify spending $75), which means you would need a MAF with less then 60k miles on it because that is the life expectancy.

just spend the $200 on a new one, get rid of that shitty filter, and you wont have to replace the MAF again for another 100k+ miles. and you will get a few extra MPG from a fresh new MAF element.

BlurredRings
09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I still have the filter that I replaced it with. It was slightly used, but I'll pick up a Mann Filter when I order the part. Any other bright ideas?