PDA

View Full Version : S4 Swap into A4

shownomercy
09-24-2009, 07:54 PM
If i could get my hands on an 02 S4 for cheap, how difficult would it be to swap the drivetrain into a 97 A4? Would it matter that it's i bit newer? What about other things like the interior and the brakes? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a mechanic but have never messed around much with S4's.

Jason

Richard
09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I dont have the link off hand, but I know there are a few A4 to S4 builds that have been done in the Build Forum. Check it out.

shownomercy
09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I will check it out. Another thing i was wondering was, how will change the cars ECM affect inspecting it in NY?

audi til I die
09-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Umm... what's wrong with the S4? [confused]

shownomercy
09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Umm... what's wrong with the S4? [confused]

He rolled it.

Militant-Grunt
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
The swap can be done, on a 97 its a bit more difficult but a friend of mine has a 97 A4 that you'd swear is a S4 inside and out.

Is your car a 1.8t or a 2.8?

Everything can be swapped over, its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it.

shownomercy
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
The swap can be done, on a 97 its a bit more difficult but a friend of mine has a 97 A4 that you'd swear is a S4 inside and out.

Is your car a 1.8t or a 2.8?

Everything can be swapped over, its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it.

My car is a 1.8tq, don't worry i'll find the time. I'll stay at the shop till midnight everyday until it's done.

Siena
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
It doesn't matter how old the recipient car is, or how new the donor car. They're both B5's, it's no different to installing the engine and drivetrain into a gutted S4, especially as you have a complete car.

Just get on with it!

Militant-Grunt
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
My car is a 1.8tq, don't worry i'll find the time. I'll stay at the shop till midnight everyday until it's done.

For a 1.8t it is more work.

You need a V6 radiator support along with a V6 radiator.
You'll need to swap over the uprights along with the brakes (might as well since the hubs for the v6 are different)

Do you actually want to swap the entire interior harness over as well? (would make things easier for you if you want the S4 center console and what not.)

lol, thats removing the dash and 99% of the interior (I mean carpets EVERYTHING)

Coopa
09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I believe guruman has an a4 with a 2.7t s4 motor? (correct me if i'm wrong) but he runs 9sec 1/4 miles as well... I think he's got a build thread somewhere on here.

JEmm
09-25-2009, 04:02 PM
I believe guruman has an a4 with a 2.7t s4 motor? (correct me if i'm wrong) but he runs 9sec 1/4 miles as well... I think he's got a build thread somewhere on here.

Yea, but he also is running two gt28rs's I believe... lol

Coopa
09-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Yea, but he also is running two gt28rs's I believe... lol

[:p]Lol Says who! I'm still amazed by his vids of that beast. Its just insane.

JEmm
09-25-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269787

I believe around page 10 or 11 he mentions the 28s. Just a sick build in general though.

Tiluleshpingen
09-25-2009, 04:23 PM

You'll need to swap over the uprights along with the brakes (might as well since the hubs for the v6 are different)

Do you actually want to swap the entire interior harness over as well? (would make things easier for you if you want the S4 center console and what not.)

lol, thats removing the dash and 99% of the interior (I mean carpets EVERYTHING)

yeah you can swap radiator support but if he is installing a 2.7t radiator it will not fit in the 2.8 30v support since the s4 radiator is bigger. and would have to trim the lower part of the support.

shownomercy
09-25-2009, 05:19 PM

I can strip the interior of the car. Its no big deal to me.

yeah you can swap radiator support but if he is installing a 2.7t radiator it will not fit in the 2.8 30v support since the s4 radiator is bigger. and would have to trim the lower part of the support.

Can't i just swap the s4 radiator and support into it?

Also, does anybody know if this will affect me inspecting my car in NY? There is alot of debate in my shop about whether the NYS Inspection machine checks vin numbers when you plug it in to check OBD2. If so, is there a way to make my car pass?

Coopa
09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I've heard of cops popping hoods and checking engine numbers to see if they are stolen whateve. You'll want to have some kind of proof that everything is rightfully yours. I'm sure you're not the first one in the state of New York to do an engine swap so there has got to be a way around it?

josmo
09-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I've heard of cops popping hoods and checking engine numbers to see if they are stolen whateve. You'll want to have some kind of proof that everything is rightfully yours. I'm sure you're not the first one in the state of New York to do an engine swap so there has got to be a way around it?

are engine swaps not legal in ny? i know in cali you can do it as long as you register it smog it, the engine is from the same automaker, and is the same year or newer....

Militant-Grunt
09-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Also, does anybody know if this will affect me inspecting my car in NY? There is alot of debate in my shop about whether the NYS Inspection machine checks vin numbers when you plug it in to check OBD2. If so, is there a way to make my car pass?

Its different in that the S4 / 2.8 radiator support has a bracket for a snub mount. While the 1.8t radiator support has a metal intake hose built in with the snub mount being on the support instead of the engine.

shownomercy
09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Its different in that the S4 / 2.8 radiator support has a bracket for a snub mount. While the 1.8t radiator support has a metal intake hose built in with the snub mount being on the support instead of the engine.

So does that mean i can use the S4 support?

Militant-Grunt
09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
So does that mean i can use the S4 support?

You need the 2.8 / S4 radiator support.

The snub mount is on the engine (2.7t / 2.8) 1.8t doesnt have a mounting point for the snub mount bracket on the rad support.

I'll just suggest to you to start stripping the s4, find out what you can and can't use from the car.

winston@podi.ca
09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
It is not that hard.

The shop swapped in a 2.7t engine to replace a 2.8V6 and the only key part was the wiring harness.

Militant-Grunt
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
It is not that hard.

The shop swapped in a 2.7t engine to replace a 2.8V6 and the only key part was the wiring harness.

Its a little bit different with a prefacelift, a 97 of all things and esp since his a 1.8t....

If it was a 2000 or 2001 2.8 it couldn't get any more direct. While with a 97, he'll have issues with the cluster and etc. Remember, the wiring harness on the early cars is quite a bit different / simpler, the engine needs to communicate with the rest of the car.

Believe me, Ive seen and helped on this swap on a number of cars already..

You also should get either an upgraded fuel pump, or pull the one out of the S4, the one in the 1.8t is tiny.

nyca4tqm
09-26-2009, 04:09 PM
What a pain in the balls that will be.....just buy an S4. There are many S4's for sale on here and online. between 7-10k. There was one onsale for 4k with blown turbos in CT. Do some research and save yourself some ass pain. But if you must, you will have an issue with the Vin not matching what is coming out of the exhaust in NYS unless you find someone who will "help" you out.

Tiluleshpingen
09-27-2009, 04:34 AM

yes you can, its a direct fit. i was speaking to MILI, about the 2.8 support not complying with the 2.7t radiator. The biggest challenge is getting everything to work as it should not half way there.
Wiring harnest is the main thing then you brakes lines, if you are changing the complete wiring, you also have to get an s4 ABS unit wich means now u have to change the brake lines specialy the front ones trust me its a hassel. everything is different from Power steering line to fuel pump. but u actually have an s4 available so its a matter of swapping things out. GL

shownomercy
10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I understand, and i dont want to destroy a perfectly good a4. I'll just sell it and buy an S4.

Jeff
10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Well if you want to convert your center console, I did it:

BEFORE

http://www.audigeeks.com/images/jeff/B5/avant/99_dash.jpg

AFTER

http://www.audigeeks.com/images/jeff/B5/avant/2000_dash6.jpg

I am actually selling the conversion kit here:

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=22550&cat=53