PDA

View Full Version : may get this B5...

alexza4
09-24-2009, 06:52 PM
so folks i'm looking at this B5 to get as a spare to my daily driver B6. i've kept two b6's for a while, but its starting to hurt, so definitely need to get rid of one.

anyway, just looked at this one and figured who else i would ask other then our B5 brothers.[:D]

she's 98 1.8t, quattro, 5spd. 167K miles. EXTREMELY clean in and out (silver on grey).
The guy selling is a student from South America who's going back to his country, he said he bought the car from an old man who had the car for a while and really took care of it.
Didn't see any leaks at all anywhere.
Forgot my damn vag-com at home[headbang], but no CEL's, engine pulled strong, k03 felt... like a k03.

i got the guy down to $2k already, i maybe be able to get another 100 bucks off... what you guys think?

biketsai
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
WTF!! buy buy buy!!!

Seerlah
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
$2,000 is a really good deal. If you see no issues, then I say go for it. But being an Audi owner, I am sure you know what lies ahead of you[drive].

oneohone
09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Go for it dude!

alexza4
09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
$2,000 is a really good deal. If you see no issues, then I say go for it. But being an Audi owner, I am sure you know what lies ahead of you[drive].

Touche my friend... i'm going to try to figure out where this car was being serviced. 167k.... i know there are plenty which lived longer, it just what i'm not looking forward to is our typical barrage of wear and tear shit repairs that just make you mad (tb, axles, bearings, etc...) Definitely won't be looking to mod this (already have one money pit[evilsmile]) so no worries there.

biketsai
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Touche my friend... i'm going to try to figure out where this car was being serviced. 167k.... i know there are plenty which lived longer, it just what i'm not looking forward to is our typical barrage of wear and tear shit repairs that just make you mad (tb, axles, bearings, etc...) Definitely won't be looking to mod this (already have one money pit[evilsmile]) so no worries there.

You know this would be a better money pit compared to your B6! Build the motor!!

alexza4
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
You know this would be a better money pit compared to your B6! Build the motor!!

haha, yes i do. and no thanks. just went through a motor build btw. AEB head no less. [;)]

alexza4
09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
oh i did forget to mention, though clutch weren't slipping at all the engagement point was VERY high almost at the top. i assume the stock clutches on these are just like on the B6, the higher you're the sooner you're looking for a new clutch lol?

Seerlah
09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Engagement point on these clutches are very very high. Almost right to the point of removing your foot alotgether from the clutch pedal. It is normal for the B5.

alexza4
09-24-2009, 08:22 PM
really? that's different from a B6... then i guess the clutch is fine. good.

jpcallmotor
09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Not bad at all dude. Mine is the same as described but with 150K and no problems. DOOO check if the TB has been done but I am sure you already have since you are not new to Audi's. Otherwise good deal, what color?

Inval1d
09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
at least when your coolant temp sensor goes out, you can easily reach it right? LOL!

alexza4
09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Not bad at all dude. Mine is the same as described but with 150K and no problems. DOOO check if the TB has been done but I am sure you already have since you are not new to Audi's. Otherwise good deal, what color?

its silver on gray. i just pulled up its maintenance records through carfax and looks like the belt was done at 75k, but probably not a second time. no biggie, half of afternoon of work there.

at least when your coolant temp sensor goes out, you can easily reach it right? LOL!

lol, gotta love all that space in the back of that AEB head. ;)

NeedingAnAudi
09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Engagement point on these clutches are very very high. Almost right to the point of removing your foot alotgether from the clutch pedal. It is normal for the B5.

Really? It's about the same stock 96 vette, but thats my only comparison so I don't really know.

OP, doooooo it! [:D]

tdn
09-25-2009, 03:49 PM

The engagement point is high, no doubt but "very very high" - I wouldn't say that. When I first got my car I was told the same thing and thought it was normal.. a couple months later it started slipping and the clutch went. Same issue with someone else I know, whom later replaced it with a stock clutch which we then compared engagement points with. I've also driven literally 10-15 manual transmission a4's as reference.

Well, I'm not saying your wrong, because whats high is definitely subjective, but OP just keep this in mind. Although the engagement point is higher than normal on these cars, the engagement point does increase as the clutch wears from my experience.

Coopa
09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
$2k?.. And no check engine lights??!?!?!... what are you waiting for! Thats a no brainer! Buy that up! [up]

Seerlah
09-25-2009, 04:28 PM
The engagement point is high, no doubt but "very very high" - I wouldn't say that. When I first got my car I was told the same thing and thought it was normal.. a couple months later it started slipping and the clutch went. Same issue with someone else I know, whom later replaced it with a stock clutch which we then compared engagement points with. I've also driven literally 10-15 manual transmission a4's as reference.

Well, I'm not saying your wrong, because whats high is definitely subjective, but OP just keep this in mind. Although the engagement point is higher than normal on these cars, the engagement point does increase as the clutch wears from my experience.

I may have exagerated, but it is no doubt higher than other automibiles on the road. The engagement point is subjective to whom ever the matter applies to. When I first got the car, I felt it was very very high. Now, I actally adore where the engagement point is.