PDA

View Full Version : updated tensioner problem

pearlcfcivic
09-23-2009, 09:10 PM
My timing belt recently broke on my 1.8t I got a new head and got the ultimate timing belt kit from ecs I put everything new on and thought I had it timed correctly, so I pulled the pin on the new tensioner, but I was wrong so I took off the pulley and the pin like popped out, I can’t tell if it broke or if that is the way the tensioner is made. pictures would defiantly help, I got the engine all timed up and just put the pin back in the tensioner but I’m http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/101_0174.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/101_0175.JPG
not sure if it will just pop out or if that is the way it is designed, It seems like the pin comes out way too far on mine. I thought about fabricating something to attach to the bracket that bolts to the tensioner pulley to make that pin recess further into the tensioner. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow unless you guys know what I am talking about.

1NaudiA4
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
So you pulled out the pin on the tensioner, and then figured out your timing was wrong, so you proceeded to pull the timing pulley off?

.... Once your timing pulley was off there was nothing to keep the hydraulic piston in the tensioner from coming out so then it just popped out. You put the piston back in the tensioner and put everything back together and now it isn't sitting right.

I wouldn't even mess with trying to fix the tensioner if you let the piston come out fully. Just get a new tensioner and don't even mess with it. The last thing you would want is for your nice new head to be ruined because you messed up your tensioner and the timing skipped.

For future reference if you ever need to pull the timing belt off for what ever reason simply take a 8mm hex into the timing pulley so that you could push the piston down, it goes slow so don't force it too hard. Once its down put one of those FAT paper clips in there to keep it in the compressed position.

Hope this helps

pearlcfcivic
09-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I added pictures I guess what I am really getting at is if anyone knows how the tensioner is designed. I'm wondering if that is how far the piston actually goes in there. I am not worried about there being enough tension against the belt but more if that piston broke off or if that is just how long it is. when it was out I looked at it very closely but was unable to tell for sure if the piston was cut like that or if it broke almost perfectly flat.

Also is that cam gear on backwards or is that just the way it is?

1NaudiA4
09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
why don't you circle what your talking about via Microsoft paint. I'm still not sure exactly what your talking about.

1NaudiA4
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
as for the cam pulley there should be a little arrow on it pointing what direction it should be spinning. You should be able to see the arrow.... if not then you have it on backwards.

Beemer832
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
the tensioner pin looks right, but i wouldn't trust it. i'd go buy a new tensioner if i were you. i believe its a manual tensioner, meaning just a stiff spring gives it tension but its referred to as hyrdaulic which i think just dampens the pin from going in and out quickly.

also the cam gear will only fit one way. its recessed one way more then the other so it really only fits one way.

-josh