PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel Removal.

Coopa
09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
This weekend I'm redoing the cloth on my door panels to match my shifter and rear tray. I assume I have to take the whole door panel off to do so. I can probably figure it out on my own..But i'd rather not struggle through it and break something [:p] I searched through the forums and couldn't find much (most of it was b6 related) If someone has a bried rightup on it that'd be awesome, or just some tips so I don't mess anything up[wrench][up]

stevejones19
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
actually i just did this exact thing, and my best word is take your time taking the the actual cloth/plastic part apart. i'll try to help as much as i can since i couldn't find much either.

I'll just go take a picture of the door panel real quick and try to point out the screw and what not.

zrowcool
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
not sure how to take the trim off but the panel is pretty simple. 1 screw by the b pillar, 1 screw on the top right edge by the mirror. then the bottom half of the door pull handle and another screw in there. thats it then just lift up and its off

witwer4444
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
1 screw on upper door jam, 1 screw by mirror.

then 1 screw in the handle, then pull over down,

then 2 gold screws in there

Then lift up and its off. Make sure you keep the big foam chunks that seal water out.

When putting it back on, dont forget to make sure the alarm (unlock up, lock down) slide is in the slot

stevejones19
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
yep ^ pretty much covers getting the door off. Don't pull up to hard right away though because you need to disconnect the line that goes to the door handle, and your wires for the window switch and speakers.

Once it's off, i believe there is a few screw that hold the grab area of the door panel on. But other than that i think there is just 2 clamps on it that you have to push in and pull the it the part off.

Then for the actual removal of the door card, hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea, but i pretty much just broke it out along the melted tabs you'll see. And just go get some 5 minute plastic epoxy to put them back in.

That's pretty much I THINK. Once you get everything apart hopefully that will make sense. Any question's just post em up and hopefully i'll see em.

Coopa
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
How did you apply your new material on? Doing a flat surface like the rear tray was a breeze because i could just wrap it tight and staple accordingly. And the shift boot was just a sewing job (my first time) I'm thinking about using the 3M (70 something i think?)spray on adhesive and then wrapping it around the edges. I know people use it on headliners and it works well. Any ideas would be ace.

stevejones19
09-23-2009, 10:18 PM
no go of the 70... get the 90. i used the 70 on the front cards, and the first hot day that came around, they started sagging from the plastic.

When you pulll the old fabric off, rub off all that foam stuff, and either use your own or just go straight to the plastic. I just did my rear door cards a week ago (front's like 2 months ago) and used some 1/4 inch foam from the fabric store. The grab handle didn't fit ALL the way back on there, but i have everything back together and you can't tell there is anything differen't. Except how soft it is [:)] lol

Coopa
09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Alright, I've got one door panel off. I already noticed the speaker is aftermarket and hack jobbed in (it involves ducttape..[headbang] ) I can change that. The real problem!
The backing of the door card, the plastic piece behind the cloth, has a couple big ass cracks in it. And the plastic pieces the door card to the door, are very firmly melted together. I'm slowly running out of options to take it out. How did you guys go upon breaking the card off the door panel itself??[confused]

Edit, Nevermind. I has success!