PDA

View Full Version : Got the car back from the mechanic today.....

hoganalley
09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Have no idea what the total bill is yet, but here's the deal.

6 weeks ago I pressed the clutch and heard the loudest bang ever! Clutch pedal immediately started vibrating and it was extremely difficult to change gears. I drove it to my mechanics and along the way figured out a way to drive it smoothly with rev matching and double clutching. Get to the mechanics and we notice the passenger side engine mount has collapsed! He orders a new one and we also replace the passenger side tranny mount....which ends up is completely separated from the housing.

I'm taking a long road trip in a few weeks and I don't want the car breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere. So I decided to do the clutch and some other things over the past few days.

Here's the deal:

Clutch - Valeo 1.8T Clutch - Apparently it's good for 270ft lbs but there's already another thread about this.
Flywheel - Goes with the above - it's a kit....read exisiting thread
Pressure Plate
Pilot Bearing
Release Fork
Throw Out Bearing
Slave Cylinder
JHM Short Shift Kit
Driver's side Tranny Mount - which also was completely separated

Not a bad deal to have all this done. As my mechanic pulls out the trans the drivers driveshaft falls out of the car. Inner joint is completely destroyed and bearings are everywhere! He orders a repair kit and does that for me as well.

I wanted a few other things done, ie boost leak, faulty fuel level sender, oil change etc. I still have to find the boost leak and fix the sender but everything else is done.

Good news. Tranny fluid is 2ish years old but clean as a whistle, red as can be and no fluid loss. At least the tranny is good!

This is now a completely different car. I almost stalled it 6 times on the way home because I'm not used to the lower engagement. Feels like the B7 I drove the other day. Probably lower third of the pedal travel. The pedal is so light to push now....it takes next to no effort! I almost pushed my foot through the floor board the first time I went to shift! Definately not used to that. JHM shifter is unbelievably smooth. A little notchy, but solid. This was definately a good move. WAY MORE confidence inspiring than stock. No more weird vibs from the clutch pedal and no more weird grinding noise when turning.

This thing just got a few years younger...except the clock says 219k km. Apparently the transmission has never been off and it's the original clutch. Not bad considering I've had it for almost 1/2 it's life! Lots of glazing on the flywheel and clutch but maybe I can get the dual mass resurfaced.....we'll see.

Not to mention the body work lately and the painted lowers I just finished and she's getting close. Almost done. I'm tempted to put new bushes in the whole car and see what happens. The back end is the only thing that is still stock. Powerflex?............

I'll put some pics up in the next day or two........

I'm so happy now!

geeky
09-23-2009, 12:56 AM
I presume you are referring to my thread about the clutch. It has been over 1.2k miles and I have absolutely no complaints about it.

hoganalley
09-23-2009, 05:49 AM
that's the one. I'm pretty sure mine will be the same comments in a few thousand miles. Considering price and other options it's not a bad deal!

My only thing is the JHM shifter has a bit of a vibration to it when in gear. I think it's the connection in the cabin to the shift rods....I'll take it out and see what I get. Might have to put a small piece of rubber in there or something to kill the vibs.

hoganalley
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Flywheel Noise.......

Anyone have this? It seems that when the clutch is engaged and I'm driving I can hear a noise that sounds like the driveshaft is rubbing against the plastic shifter box. Kind of sounds like running water......or plastic being rubbed away.

I took it to my mechanic today and we tried to troubleshoot but he can't find what the problem is. I did a little research and it seems I can hear it in gear, I can hear it in neutral, but when I press the clutch it stops. Best I can figure is the chatter from the single mass flywheel is being transmitted through the tranny, linkages, shifter and then into the cabin. Is this normal?

btw....I have the JHM shifter kit installed as well so there are no rubber bushings anymore, only the metal and delrin one's in the kit.

old guy
09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Flywheel Noise.......

Anyone have this? It seems that when the clutch is engaged and I'm driving I can hear a noise that sounds like the driveshaft is rubbing against the plastic shifter box. Kind of sounds like running water......or plastic being rubbed away.

I took it to my mechanic today and we tried to troubleshoot but he can't find what the problem is. I did a little research and it seems I can hear it in gear, I can hear it in neutral, but when I press the clutch it stops. Best I can figure is the chatter from the single mass flywheel is being transmitted through the tranny, linkages, shifter and then into the cabin. Is this normal?

btw....I have the JHM shifter kit installed as well so there are no rubber bushings anymore, only the metal and delrin one's in the kit.

The JHM shifter is a nice piece of engineering, no doubt about it. But one of the downsides of removing all the rubber slides and bushings is that you raise the NVH level in the cabin. Same thing occurs when you stiffen up the motor mounts or tranny mounts. The tighter you make the connections the more you transmit NVH. Simple physics.

hoganalley
09-25-2009, 05:57 PM
thought about that......but i had the shifter installed before the clutch was changed and everything was fine.

When the clutch was put in is when the metal linkage and the delrin bushing went in. I knew there would be some vibrations or noise from the install, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Is it more the linkage/bushings or the flywheel?

I'm thinking of either slapping in some more foam, or maybe some rubber pieces throughout to try and soften the noise.....thoughts?

old guy
09-25-2009, 06:09 PM
thought about that......but i had the shifter installed before the clutch was changed and everything was fine.

When the clutch was put in is when the metal linkage and the delrin bushing went in. I knew there would be some vibrations or noise from the install, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Is it more the linkage/bushings or the flywheel?

I'm thinking of either slapping in some more foam, or maybe some rubber pieces throughout to try and soften the noise.....thoughts?

My guess is the Delrin and metal is transmitting the NVH. The light weight flywheel can cause gear rattle at idle but once the clutch is engaged it won't sound any different that a dual mass flywheel.

Adding additional insulation is definitely worth trying. You may be able to cut the noise but it won't do anything about the "feel" since that is being transmitted by the physical connection.

hoganalley
09-25-2009, 06:55 PM
let me clarify......the feel is excellent. My symptoms are actually the opposite of what you're describing.

When the clutch is engaged and driving the "rubbing" or "water running" sound is audible and changes with engine speed. Once I press on the clutch to release it, noise dissappears. This makes me think the whole driveline is being vibrated when it's locked together with the clutch. Once it's separated, there's no direct connection so it dissappears.

Make sense? I'm sure if I put the rubber bushing and the U-joint for the linkages back in, it would be fine. I think I might try and fill in the shifter area with foam and try some rubber inserts where the linkages meet the shifter. I just don't want to mess with the shifter too much because it feels fantastic!

old guy
09-25-2009, 07:11 PM
I think we are using a different definitional of "feel". I am sure the shifter feels fantastic compared to stock. I was attempting to describe the tactile sensation or vibration that you picked up by replacing the rubber bushings and shift rod "U" joint with harder materials. As soon as you engage the clutch you are transmitting all the gear mesh noise and vibration into the cabin through the upper shifter stabilizing rod and shift rod. the "water running" sound is the coming from the gears meshing. As I stated before, the more you tighten things up the more you transmit the NVH. I kinda like the sound of gear whine on a high performance car. Not so much on my A4.

hoganalley
09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks for your help on this by the way......

when my mechanic held the shift rods earlier today, you would think that would get rid of the sound, it didn't actually do anything. I understand it's a solid rod and it's difficult to stop all vibrations but you would think that holding the rods would do some dampening. If the vibration(sound) exists from the linkages then I'll try deadening the sound with thick foam......other than that, I either have to change the linkages back or deal with it I assume....

STS9king
09-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I have the same sounds you are talking about. I have the JHM bushings, linkage, and short shifter as well as 11lbs LWFW and SB stg 4 clutch. Also have 034 track density motor and tranny mounts. I think its just from making everything solid and makes different vibrations tones at different speeds and with different gears.

hoganalley
09-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Ok....I guess I'll just have to deal with it!

I'm going to try and insulate a few areas to see if that helps....if not, then I guess I'll just have to get used to it!

SpoolinPelican
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
It could also be the throw out bearing making noise.

old guy
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
It could also be the throw out bearing making noise.

Possible but unlikely. A bad throw out bearing makes noise when you disengage the clutch and the bearing is under load. Hoganalley's issue is when the clutch is engaged and there is no load on the bearing. [;)]

hoganalley
09-26-2009, 03:40 PM
there could be a problem with the throwout bearing, however it is brand new and i do trust my mechanic. I'd give him better than 9/10 that everything is installed correctly. I'd say Oldguy and STS9King are correct. I just have to deal with it or change the linkages back to stock!

SpoolinPelican
09-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I never said it had to be bad to make noise. I dont have it on this car, but my last one I would have TOB "chatter" with the clutch I put in it.

old guy
09-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I never said it had to be bad to make noise. I dont have it on this car, but my last one I would have TOB "chatter" with the clutch I put in it.

So the TOB made noise when the clutch was engaged? Interesting.

SpoolinPelican
09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Yessir, that is correct.