PDA

View Full Version : What would you do...?

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
hello fellow b5'ers. So i am in a dilemma. i currently have, of course, a 01 a4 1.8t. this car is currently in a downward spiral to death... this saddens me very much. i love this car with all my hart, its my baby. there's not much more in this world that i love more than that car but some of the things i have done to it have caused it to be this way. the saddest part is that i don't have enough time or money to fix everything wrong with this car being a full time college student and almost a full time worker; and there is no way i can go without a car for more than a weekend. now i could buy a knock off k03 or k04 for anywhere between 300 and 400 and have it on it 2 hours, roughly... haha. or i could go option 2. which is a 93 audi 100cs that i have found here in town that i do like quite a bit. it is green with slightly faded pain on the hood, roof, and trunk, leather interior that is in immaculate condition for the 210000 miles it has on it, it has the bose system with no blown speakers, brand new tires, it seems to run fine, i have inspected just about every inch of this car and it seems to be alright and would probably be fine for all i need it for (which is to drive to work, school and make it to December next year when i graduate or get enough to fix my current car that i will keep). this car is going for 1294 right now and has 4 engine codes for both 02 sensors, lambda (due to sensors), and egr (probably stuck, just buy a new one... or not, to hell with emissions). so i guess what i'm getting at, should i keep my baby and try to limp her through the next year and a half, or park her and and risk my biscuit buying this high mileage car in hopes that it doesn't die before i want it too? any input would be great. good, bad, neutral i don't care. just let me know what you would do.

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
haha! i need the turbo because i broke two of the three bolts off in my current the last time i had to take it off. haha! i have a 1/4 inch exhaust leak between the manifold and turbo. thought i would through that out too.

The*Fall*Guy
09-22-2009, 05:05 PM
That is no reason to get rid of the car.. Remove the turbo, and take it to the machine shop and have them remove the broken bolts/studs, or find a used one in good shape for $150... Pm me with the details on your car.. I may buy it if its a stick, and quattro.. I'm looking for a 2001 right now.

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
oh no no no no no no!!!!! never would i sell her, just park her for a winter or two till my funds come up. i just want something that will make it to december next year. the 100cs would just be a quick out. it's hard to find time to work on it in my current situation. the turbo would make it run better and maybe give her a better chance of making it to graduation. plus, my current has shaft play and i'm due for a new one.

The*Fall*Guy
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
You live too far away anyways.. Fix the turbo.. I'm sure you can swing it.. It can be done on the cheap.. Just baby it.

Coopa
09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
You could have a machine shop take out the broken bolts, and you could put a slightly used or even brand new k03 or k04 for way less than the price of the 100. Even if it is an audi, I wouldn't trust a car with more than 200,000 miles as a daily/commute car. And the fact that it has already has codes, and just the miles..you'd likely end up sinking money into that to make it a daily driver. [confused]

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Just source out a used turbo (Mike Hood had one that sold in the classified maybe yesterday for $200 shipped ~50k on it k03s from a B6). I tried to find the ad, but it has been sold already. You can remove the turbo and manifold as one complete unit (remove bolts from the manifold to block) and replace the manifold and turbo since you said there is a leak somewhere on it. I have never done this before, so I don't know if there will be any clearance issues. But seems the easier (cheaper; no mechanic) route.

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Just source out a used turbo (Mike Hood had one that sold in the classified maybe yesterday for $200 shipped ~50k on it k03s from a B6). I tried to find the ad, but it has been sold already. You can remove the turbo and manifold as one complete unit (remove bolts from the manifold to block) and replace the manifold and turbo since you said there is a leak somewhere on it. I have never done this before, so I don't know if there will be any clearance issues. But seems the easier (cheaper; no mechanic) route.

i have been leaning more towards a new turbo anyway. and if i got a turbo it would be new. i was thinking this bad boy but i haven't seen or heard anything really about it (then again i haven't looked the hardest either) i don't want to fix this turbo, i have some money and i would like to do something nice for my car. haha.

http://www.volkswaparts.com/18T20VK04Turbo.htm?gclid=CNqmy7np_pwCFSNQagodS1AIb g

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 05:37 PM
That site seems kind of sketchy to me. If I had money to spare, I would go a different route.

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
yea, i've seen that turbo on a couple sites, thats just the one i had pulled up. i just google shopping searched it. heres another.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=TRB-K04

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Rule of thumb. If going with a k03 or k04, only use a Borg Warner unit. This unit (http://www.gpopshop.com/kkkturbos.html) is one of the few, if only one I would trust on the market besides original equipment. Even GPopShop has mixed reviews. There are many people whom have their k03/k04 hybrids.

01b5a4qms
09-22-2009, 06:00 PM
thats a little more than i wanted to spend... haha! well thanks for the help.

aytheory
09-22-2009, 06:22 PM
jesus you need to live below your means as a college student and not have a money pit like an audi - get a reliable civic or corolla - and wait till you have the money

biketsai
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Seems to me like getting that older Audi would just put you in the same boat a couple months later. Get a bicycle or moped