PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned, get a Carfax

pearlescent
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
So 2 years ago I had purchased a 1996 b5 qtm 12V, nothing special but I really appriciate its styling and reliability, I picked it up for 3800 which, in its condition and mileage (120,000), I thought It was a decent deal. It had been nothing but great to me since. Ive put alot of work into updating to facelift and making it more fun to drive with H&R springs and Bilstein shocks.

Annnyways.... I stumbled upon a free carfax report link and decided since I didn't really know much about the previous history of the car, I figured I'd have a look. I quickly realized that my odometer has been rolled back at some point in 2007 between the 1st owner and myself, since the mileage on the carfax reads 218,000 miles.

So there is the bad, my car has 232 thousand miles on it. I did, however, find out that it was owned by the same person from new in 1996, up until late 2007. He had the car religiously serviced by Williams Auto World (Audi dealer in Lansing, MI) From everything from oil changes to lubricating the chassis, to control arms to power steering pumps to timing belts. The car is mint. It was even in for a standard scheduled inspection at 218,000 miles... The car had nothing wrong with it....

Some part of me denies the carfax report, because of the amazing condition of the car, but none the less, I can't take any chances. Since I plan on driving the car until I graduate from college and get a real job, i might run into a situation where I need to do a rebuild.

Its not everyday that you find out that your car has 100 thousand miles more than you think haha

Does anyone know where to get and engine rebuild kit for the 12v?

biketsai
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
That is possible since its easy to swap a cluster out. The question now is how are you going to go about getting a new inspection? I think carfax is fishy

The*Fall*Guy
09-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I personally think the carfax is wrong.. No matter how well maintained you would certainly notice a crazy amount of wear on the car at that mileage...

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Carfax told me that my car was involved in a minor fender bender, only after I purchased it though. Clean title, so it was repaired right. The paint job is terrible though, and will need to be redone when I get money for it. It was hit on the driver door/front fender area. The hood has rock chips galore and still has white wax particles that I can never get out of them (I like to keeps my car clean[cool]). Not really noticable though, but to me it is everywhere. And the trunk has like 3 fingerprints in the paint and what seems like the effects of too much spray. All in the same area. Everything else is good and is in better shape than most B5s, though.

The*Fall*Guy
09-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I feel ya... I've done a lot of autobody/and paint work.. Once you get an eye for it your cursed. I scoff at many factory paintjobs.. Once you have the eye; nothing looks good.

biketsai
09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I feel ya... I've done a lot of autobody/and paint work.. Once you get an eye for it your cursed. I scoff at many factory paintjobs.. Once you have the eye; nothing looks good.

Good thing we drive Audi's! I look at so many new GM and Ford cars and I am just like FAIL! So much orange peal!!!!

pearlescent
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
OK, because I'm just not seeing 230 thousand miles of wear.... Nothing that's commonly touched, like buttons, switches on the steering wheel or anything like that has excessive wear. The engine pulls hard, has no CELS, doesn't burn any oil. Also, I don't think i can remember a time in 2 years that I've had to try twice to start it. There are also exhaust leaks or signs of bad maintence. Maintenance wise, I'd switched out 2 temp sensors, replaced some vacuum lines and changed out the powersteering pump....nothing else besides mods. Its been a great reliable car...

pearlescent
09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
I personally think the carfax is wrong.. No matter how well maintained you would certainly notice a crazy amount of wear on the car at that mileage...

I want carfax to be wrong soooo bad, I really enjoy this car, and don't want to have to worry about it dying...

pearlescent
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Good thing we drive Audi's! I look at so many new GM and Ford cars and I am just like FAIL! So much orange peal!!!!

I would rather drive my b5 than any new GM/Ford/Chrysler, When ever I'm in an American car, i just can't stop thinking about the lack of craftsmanship, creativity, and basically..... of good ideas.

ghost6303
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
unless the gauge cluster was swapped with another lower mileage one, i would suspect carfax is wrong as well. they are no where near perfectly accurate anyways. carfax omits probably 80-95% of the service done on vehicles in general. the only thing they are fairly accurate on is accident reports because they are public record published by the police/DMV. all it would have taken is some mechanic to punch in 200,000 instead of 100,000 miles in a computer at a service, or get your car confused with another.

pearlescent
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
unless the gauge cluster was swapped with another lower mileage one, i would suspect carfax is wrong as well. they are no where near perfectly accurate anyways. carfax omits probably 80-95% of the service done on vehicles in general. the only thing they are fairly accurate on is accident reports because they are public record published by the police/DMV. all it would have taken is some mechanic to punch in 200,000 instead of 100,000 miles in a computer at a service, or get your car confused with another.

I had noticed that the engine size was wrong on the results page, it was a 3.0 instead of 2.8, thought that was weird. And the only thing on the carfax that seemed normal was that I registered it in 2007 and have owned it since lol

Coopa
09-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Compression check? I don't care what anyone says, I'll take my 12 year old audi over any brand new gm/ford/dodge. Nuff said[:D]