PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery Issue..

A3toB5
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Good Day Audiers lol (cant' say dubbers) but anyway..

I have a slight issue with my battery. some back ground. A month ago my I ran into the store came out and my car wouldn't start (battery was dead) I after 30 mins of waiting I got a jump from a friend and went on my way.. the next day I happened again so I drove to autozone and got a new battery... Couple weeks later it happened again.. mind you its a new battery..
Could this be the alternator or is something drainging the batter over night?

Has this happened to anyone ? [wrench] [confused][wrench]

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Have your radio security code (I am sure you already have this if you replaced your battery already) and do this. While the car is running, unhook the battery negative cable. If the car cuts off, give problems, etc, then you have an alternator issue.

A3toB5
09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Have your radio security code (I am sure you already have this if you replaced your battery already) and do this. While the car is running, unhook the battery negative cable. If the car cuts off, give problems, etc, then you have an alternator issue.

And if not ?

Seerlah
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't really know. Take it step by step to weed out the issues. Maybe a bad grounding on the alternator.

02wrangler
09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Do you have a volt meter?

If yes then test the volts on the battery with the car off, then start the car and check it again if there is no increase start turning things on (lights, radio etc...). If the voltage drops and doesn't pick back up then I'd say bad alternator.

werewolves182
09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Autozone does free battery and alternator testing if you don't have a multimeter. If you do have one, test how many volts your battery is getting while the engine is idling. It should be more than 13.4 v. If it is less, it is likely your alternator is the issue.

If it is getting at least 13.4v while idling then you may have some sort of parasitic drain possibly from a bad relay (happened to me). Disconnect your negative battery cable and set up your multimeter to read amps. Attach one lead from your multimeter to the negative terminal and the other to the negative cable. With the car off and all doors shut there should be less than .06 amps of draw on the battery.

Last winter my load reduction relay failed and drained my battery overnight.

A3toB5
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
will keep yall posted after I run some test...

whoace
09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Alternator output should be tested at a fast idle, all accessories off. Output should be between 13.8-14.8V. Do what werewolves said, and connect an ammeter in series. 60mA would probably be on the upper limits of acceptability. Ideally you'd want to see no more than 40mA.

Next step would be to start pulling fuses until you can isolate the draw.