PDA

View Full Version : Best and cheapest clutch option for a 97 1.8TQ with a GT2X

97B518TQM
09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I am still on stock clutch and my car has 171k miles. I am currently running a K04 and it's not slipping but I tried to launch the car from 4k rpm and the clutch slipped bad, I mean literally slipped there until I released the gas and then the gas finally took off. The smell was horrible.
So ya, I am more than sure once the GT2X goes on and it gets tuned it will destroy the clutch. My biggest fear is the clutch preventing the car from being dyno tuned.

So, if I can find someone to resurface my stock flywheel I will just upgrade the clutch since I am on a very tight budget. I want to spend no more than $500 on a clutch kit without the flywheel of course.

I see good reviews on southbend clutches. Any other suggestions with links to good places to buy from?

Is this a good option:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A4-PASSAT-1-8L-TURBO-STAGE-2-RACING-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em1 4QQhashZitem58833115feQQitemZ380158154238QQptZMoto rsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

prodrive
09-25-2009, 06:52 AM
I am still on stock clutch and my car has 171k miles. I am currently running a K04 and it's not slipping but I tried to launch the car from 4k rpm and the clutch slipped bad, I mean literally slipped there until I released the gas and then the gas finally took off. The smell was horrible.
So ya, I am more than sure once the GT2X goes on and it gets tuned it will destroy the clutch. My biggest fear is the clutch preventing the car from being dyno tuned.

So, if I can find someone to resurface my stock flywheel I will just upgrade the clutch since I am on a very tight budget. I want to spend no more than $500 on a clutch kit without the flywheel of course.

I see good reviews on southbend clutches. Any other suggestions with links to good places to buy from?

Is this a good option:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A4-PASSAT-1-8L-TURBO-STAGE-2-RACING-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em1 4QQhashZitem58833115feQQitemZ380158154238QQptZMoto rsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Get the Southbend stage 3 around 550USD. thats what most people will recommend to you..