PDA

View Full Version : AEB valve cover (no pressure vent) leaking oil from studs/nut

Beemer832
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
So on my AEB valve cover with NO pcv vent from the factory, I have been getting a small oil "blow by" leak at the front middle nut/stud that holds down the valve cover. Its just enough to seep out of the hole, and make it way down the valve cover and drip just a tad into the exhaust manifold area.

Its such a small amount, it never really "drips" but instead leaves an oil residue running down the head.

I am going to tap the head for a barb fitting and run it to my catch can setup, will this help relieve enough pressure in the head to prevent this oil "leak" in the future?

-josh

1NaudiA4
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
You could just buy my already tapped AEB valve cover with a 1/2"-10an fitting included. Feel free to PM me.

Beemer832
09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I could do that, but I have the barb fitting I am using for the rest of my catch can setup for about ~$5 so would you sell me your valve cover for 5$? lol

Thanks for the info though. I just want to make sure its the pressure thats actually making the oil blow past the hole and not something else..

-josh

lowandslow4now
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I should look into doing this. Where would you drill the cover at?

thenofjboy
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I should look into doing this. Where would you drill the cover at?

if your looking down at the AEB valve cover while it is still bolted to the engine, on the back right hand side, there is a circle you can tap out.

found a pic -you can see the circle to tap out. its closest to the 3rd hole on the bottom right.
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/data/20/large/IMG_2336.JPG

AudiRacerS4
09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
if your looking down at the AEB valve cover while it is still bolted to the engine, on the back right hand side, there is a circle you can tap out.

found a pic -you can see the circle to tap out. its closest to the 3rd hole on the bottom right.

hey thats my valve cover [:D] which also happens to be for sale if someone wants to try and tap out the hole on the side [up][wrench]

Beemer832
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
im actually going to b tapping the recess where the OEM barb fitting goes on the AWM engines. That spot works better for hose routing then the other side. I am going to drill and tap the hole. Supposedly you cna get a few threads in there... I will lock tight the fitting in place and then epoxy the inside piece to ensure it cannot come loose. Will look somewhat OEM from the outside.

-josh

salz2135
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
How many miles on your valve cover gasket set? Seems could be the cause of the oil leak.

lowandslow4now
09-21-2009, 04:02 PM

I have a different valve cover than that one. It may be an older style.