PDA

View Full Version : swiss cheese in the rain

ahaters46
09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
This is a mod that i am seriously considering. Possibly doing tomorrow. I live in New Hampshire and i drive my car in heavy rain storms as well as severe snow storm. Any one have any experience with this, good or bad?

andyrew
09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
You have a big headlight in front of it, and a bunch of other things that are preventing direct rain on the filter. Even so, its not going to hurt your engine because it will get evaporated by the heat of the turbo and intake manifold.

You'll be fine.

There is a reason people use water injection... Its good.

ahaters46
09-20-2009, 09:48 PM
ya that makes sense. the late night post is appreciated

ahaters46
09-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I guess i'm more worried about water off the tire, but there is still the filter in the way.

andyrew
09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
You have your inner fender well gone? I doubt it, There is very little water getting in your engine bay with the inner fender well in place. And if you were thinking of cutting it, just dont. Just swiss cheese your box and be done.

JPJ2007
09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you two are talking about this mod correct?

http://www.bulletmotorsports.net/audi/airboxmod-3.jpg

andyrew
09-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes and no.

Thats the bad way to do it if you have water intrusion. My way was to just cut 2" holes on the front of the box and on the bottom of the box (holes you see are on the back of the box).

If you have a heat shield you wont have any extra heat in the intake, and you should be able to hear a difference. I could hear a major difference.

.Mad Hatter.
09-21-2009, 04:15 AM
hmmm, i did the same as andyrew on my 16v, it held up well and i could notice a difference in sound right away...not sure how it affects performance, but maybe i will have to consider it on the a4

BrokeDown[20V]
09-21-2009, 05:32 AM
If you don't want to do it like JPJ2007( which would really be the only way to see any improvement, Just dont drill as big holes) Then just keep the box stock. You will have to worry about water. There is no reason to cut holes so the heat from the engine come into the intake.(Unless you buy a good heatsheild, like mentioned)

The stock box performs well enough to not mess with it.

.Mad Hatter.
09-21-2009, 05:39 AM
the heatshield that is on there should be good enough i would think, youre not changing the positioning of either the intake or the heat source. im just not sure how much extra air youre going to get in there now that i look at it; unless you routed an intake tube down to the pass side lower grille or something.

JPJ2007
09-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Just so It's noted. I Did not do that or take the picture. It's from the DIY
section for B5 A4

I plan to though. Today. lol

Seerlah
09-21-2009, 06:19 AM
There are a few people whom have done the swiss cheese mod and regretted it afterwards. Maybe one of them will chimme in. It is just the possibility of water getting into the airbox that would be the only real concern. Here is an example. There was heavy rain a couple months back, and I had to drive through maybe 2-3 feet of water at this underpass (horrible situation, happy I always keep things on my engine sealed, and am lucky my car did not stall out). If I had the swiss cheese mods, whom knows what would have happened. I am just saying, there may come a time where doing that swiss cheese mod would be very regrettfull.

JPJ2007
09-21-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the Window screen over the holes, and having a K&N filter ( It's oil based, remember that repels water) and also drilling a small hole at the bottom of the airbox
to drain water incase this ever happens, All together I wouldn't worry about it.

But I understand what your saying, that is something I wouldn't want to do.
Did you shut the car off when you went through that?

I use to have a Acura that was so low I had to find side roads on a normal basis,
When It rained I got worried because I had a Cold Air intake that put the filter
In front of the tire, And I had no liner. A couple times I shut the car off cruising
through deep water to be sure It wasnt going to Hydro-lock.

Seerlah
09-21-2009, 06:48 AM
I kept a nice cruising speed and had no issues other than a code for my HFC, but that happens when I drive in 2nd or 3rd gear at a monotonous speed too long before shifting (or I would have to play with the throttle, to avoid the constant RPM). I had to cruise in 2nd gear at the same speed for maybe 25-50 yards, and it was enough for the CEL to pop up. One of my car's little quirks with the mods I have. Only thing I was worried about was water being taken into the intake. Oh, and my fog lights ended up being filled with water. I still need to dry one out a tad more, as there is vapors/condensation left.

To the OP, please pardon the thread jack[cool].

EuRo_KiD
09-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Ok sorry if im thread jacking but i have an intake and no fender liner. Is this something to worry about? My car is stock height.

andyrew
09-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Dont go flying through puddles? Or get a fender liner?

EuRo_KiD
09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
This is my intake below. I know this sounds like a stupid question (but i dont know too much lol) but wouldnt getting a fender liner reduce air flow to my intake?

http://i29.tinypic.com/xnulc4.jpg

biketsai
09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I am swiss cheezzzeed with some mesh material inbetween the filter and holes. The fender liner has tons of holes drilled in. So far in the past 2 years I have not had any issues so far, but then again I avoid water puddles at ALL COST because of this. I do regret doing it because the gain just wasnt worth it. Back when I was chipped I didnt really notice anything different.

D's Avant
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
/\/\/\ x2... I've had mine this way for a few years. I ended up putting the material from a wet/dry vac cut to fit between the finder linner holes and the bottom of the airbox holes. This is that filter material that you would use when using the vac for wet pickups. Gives a little extra splash/water protection.

AudiRacerS4
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
my filter sits underneath my car and i never had a problem driving in the rain, just don't go flying through puddles its pretty simple.

andyrew
09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I am swiss cheezzzeed with some mesh material inbetween the filter and holes. The fender liner has tons of holes drilled in. So far in the past 2 years I have not had any issues so far, but then again I avoid water puddles at ALL COST because of this. I do regret doing it because the gain just wasnt worth it. Back when I was chipped I didnt really notice anything different.

This is the exact reason why I didnt cut the fender liner. I STILL have my stock fender liner.

Anyone considering doing any modifications to the intake needs to know that the biggest mod you NEED to do to gain ANYTHING is a proper heat shield.

http://i29.tinypic.com/xnulc4.jpg
This is a prime example of the combination of things of what NOT to do. The cone intake isnt going to help any on a KO3 turbo, Taking out the fender liner wont do anything either. The 5 deg difference in air temperature with it out is going to do WAY less than the 50+ degs of radiant temp that the turbo will be radiating towards the piping and surronding air without a proper heat shield. And NO the stock heat shield is NOT enough.

You need a heat shield. And get a fender liner if your worried. You will pull plenty of air from under the car. Also keep the stock air diverter (the plastic piece that pulls air over and before the radiator) It actually does some good.

Seerlah
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I was going to recommend him to purchase a heat sheild and the snorkel from the front of the vehicle into the cut out in the heat shield, but was reluctant to post as this thread has been jacked enough. That will draw in a fair amount of fresh air when in motion.

http://www.blinktekdesign.com/

TMorris
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
;4260731']

The stock box performs well enough to not mess with it.

qft

cdowns13
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
honestly what i would do is this...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2507093

yes it is right around 80$ but i have it done the same way on my car.. you can hear the turbo and DV clearly and sounds good with a lower deeper tone to the car

i MESSED UP my car trying to cut holes and regret every second of it.. and DON'T TOUCH THE MAF... that is all..

BrokeDown[20V]
09-21-2009, 02:01 PM
qft

EDITED* I understand now.[:d]

Robb12
09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I had considered swiss cheese a while back and made a topic about it. It basically came down to everybody I spoke to that did it just had a small concern in the back of their mind at all times. I wound up not doing it, I just dont wanna be thinking of water getting in there (even if it's nearly impossible, there'd always be some doubt)

ahaters46
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Well i did it. I like it. Sounds good. No regrets. I was a little more modest in my whole cutting than some that I have seen tho.

biketsai
09-21-2009, 06:31 PM
On the plus side, just to make you feel better. S4's have different fender liners and have slits in the liners.

ahaters46
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
On the plus side, just to make you feel better. S4's have different fender liners and have slits in the liners.

Ya, my friend has a 01 s4 and he was really pushing that its fine so i went with it.

Robb12
09-21-2009, 08:33 PM
does anyone have a sound clip of how it sounds? Just with a stock filter or replacement drop in?

D's Avant
09-22-2009, 05:48 AM
No sound clip, but it is just a little louder induction sound with a hint of turbo whine/whistle. Of course you can hear the DV work too. Good sport sound IMO. My set-up is the finder mod with holes on the bottom of the air box and a few holes on the front of the air box by the headlight with a K&N drop in.