PDA

View Full Version : crossthread wheel bolts! help!

A4_2.8tuner
09-16-2009, 09:34 AM
need your expert advice AZ [:p]

my axle is ticking and i need to replace it...however i have an issue...

i have H&R wheel spacers on, and 2 of the wheel bolts have somehow crossthread. they never crossthread when i put them in, so my assumption is that the coating on the bolts has flaked off when removing and basically fused the bolts to the spacer. (wheel bolts to spacer, spacer bolts to hub)

I've tried using all my strength to get these off, but they will NOT budge...do you guys have any advice as to how to get these off without ruining my wheel?

TIA.

schmally
09-16-2009, 09:38 AM
need your expert advice az [:p]

my axle is ticking and i need to replace it...however i have an issue...

I have h&r wheel spacers on, and 2 of the wheel bolts have somehow crossthread. They never crossthread when i put them in, so my assumption is that the coating on the bolts has flaked off when removing and basically fused the bolts to the spacer. (wheel bolts to spacer, spacer bolts to hub)

i've tried using all my strength to get these off, but they will not budge...do you guys have any advice as to how to get these off without ruining my wheel?

Tia.
use a long pipe as leverage over the wrench and see if that works

ghost6303
09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
either the pipe on a breaker bar or an impact gun are pretty much the only options.

whoace
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
If you didn't crossthread them going in, they will not magically crossthread when sitting inside the threads. Most likely, the bolts are seized due to rust. Gun em off or get a bigger ratchet. Also try keeping your arms locked and pushing with your legs.

BLK_A4
09-16-2009, 03:51 PM
this happend to one of my freinds. Just bite the bullet and swallow your pride and go to firestone or somthin and have them take them out. And if they F them up than its there fault : )

LowSantorin
09-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Either a long pipe and a breaker bar or a strong airgun as said above. If you didn't cross thread them than they are just seized/rusted on there.

A4Rob
09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
LOL you have rust on your car! haha

Seriously though... crank them off. If you cross thread the spacer that is no big deal. It happened to my front spacers last week. Also Brian, if you wreck your hub let me know.

Oceanside
09-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I can only get my rims off with deep socket/ breaker bar combo,(stock tire iron doesnt fit) try that. and if that doesnt get a long pipe to go over that as a cheater bar or work out more, snap a bolt then call rob...

nyca4tqm
09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
L E V E R A G E....

add a piece of pipe over the ratchet/wrench or whatever you are using to remove the lug bolts.

A4_2.8tuner
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
put a longer extension on my ratchet and broke those b**ches off! thanks guys. now its time for operation replace axle!