PDA

View Full Version : No horn

Jc61990
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
So recently I swapped to an s4 steering wheel and my horn now doesn't work. I checked the fuse. It's still good. Any ideas?

AudiRacerS4
09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
did you plug in all the connectors?

getslideways
09-06-2009, 11:24 AM
it may sound silly but the key is in the on position right? my g/f's jetta horn didnt work when the car was off and i thought it was broken until i turned the key and tried it then lol

i know sometimes when i run into issues after installing new items i forget to troubleshoot the simple stuff

Jc61990
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Yea i figured I had no horn wen I got cut off yesterday and went to honk, and nothing came out. I even pulled the wheel off to check everything. There's only 1 connector and it's for the airbag.. It did take me some time to get the alignment on the wheel perfect cause the plastic thing that swivels around the hub moved and I wasn't able to get it right for a while. Could that have any thing to do with it. Everything is dead centered now.

Jc61990
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Bump

hiwords1
09-07-2009, 07:57 AM
worst case scenario you can always wire a momentary switch from the inside of the car to the horns. the horns are only single pin connections so a spade connector will fit it. had to do that on my friend's forester last week for him to pass.

Jc61990
09-07-2009, 08:10 AM
hmm but why all of a sudden would it not work after a wheel swap? i mean when the .. it think its called a clock spring. well when it moved out of place i tried to re center it and i put the wheel on. it wasnt centered so when i made a left u would hear a crunching sound. so i pulled it off and tried again. then that time when i made a left the horn would go off. again, pulled the wheel and tried to center it again. and now its perfect. but i have no horn. could i have possibly broken or detached the clock spring so now theres no power going to that plug on it?

hiwords1
09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
on my friend's forester, his horn doesn't work because he broken his clock spring switching to an STI wheel

Jc61990
09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Hmm ecs doesn't sell clock springs... How do I fix this? My inspection is due in October but I still need a horn. And sti wheel in forrester = win

hiwords1
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
it's not just the wheel he has, it's just a little more than that ; ). i know for a fact that if you have a momentary switch to beep the horn anywhere inside the car that you can reach easily, you'll pass. if not, just drive here and i have a friend who will pass you lol

Jc61990
09-07-2009, 09:04 PM
it's not just the wheel he has, it's just a little more than that ; ). i know for a fact that if you have a momentary switch to beep the horn anywhere inside the car that you can reach easily, you'll pass. if not, just drive here and i have a friend who will pass you lol

lol yea i know a place that would pass me with no engine lol. im good, i could care less about my inspection, its just the dumb people that like to cut me off when im flying down the road and i dont have a horn to express my anger

hiwords1
09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
well in that case you need a programmable horn that you can press and it shouts out "fug you a$$hole" lol. or just get a flame thrower in your front bumper and melt their rear bumper off