PDA

View Full Version : Another issue.

lowandslow4now
09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
As I am driving and cruising along my temp coolant temp guage starts climbing to the 3/4 mark and when I am at idle it goes back to normal. I am trying to figure out my first plan of attack on this. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but my oil temps are rising more than normal. I just did an oil change last weekend and everything is the same(oil and Filter). Any help will be appreciated.Thanks.

BTW I searched and found tons of info on overheating but could not find a similar problem. Its always the opposite.

Existentialist
09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Had the same issue with mine when my water pump impeller separated from the shaft. At idle it was able to spin enough to bring temps back down, but with any significant increase in engine speed, the shaft would just spin free of the impeller. If you have never replaced your water pump, you probably have the old version with the plastic impeller attached to the metal shaft which can break. The updated versions are completely metal to eliminate this issue. You could pull the hose that goes in to the water pump where the thermostat is located and feel for the broken impeller.

lowandslow4now
09-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I will probably do that tomorrow It is just weird how it goes up while cruising and then at a stand still its normal.lol Thanks for the info.

lowandslow4now
09-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I just drained the coolant and pulled the thermostat and I dont think I should spin the waterpump freely. What do you guys think?

Existentialist
09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
You can feel the impeller inside of the water pump from the hose you took off to get your thermostat out. You should not be able to spin the impeller with your fingers. I could actually feel that mine had broken in two pieces, but it may be that yours just separated from the shaft.

lowandslow4now
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah it spins and I might as well do the timing belt, waterpump and all the belts and stuff associated with it . I was going to wait roughly another 10k to do it but since I am going to be in there I will do it alittle early

Existentialist
09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
You can actually do the water pump pretty easily, but as you said, you may as well do the timing belt well you are at it. It will be much easier to get to everything with the front end off. I know ECS Tuning has complete timing belt kits that include the water pump and all belts along with the required timing belt parts. You can probably save some money that way.

lowandslow4now
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Thats what I will probably pick up. I just went and checked it again and I can feel a split that goes from the top to the side.

lowandslow4now
09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Well the issue is the waterpump I pulled it apart and found the crappy plastic impellar split. I fell apart in my hands.

Mawhitey
09-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Try to get a metal impellered replacement water pump,

lowandslow4now
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I definetely will. I just don't understand why they would even make it plastic to begin with.