PDA

View Full Version : do i need a new axel?

slideitsidewayz
09-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Yesterday i took off my front driver side wheel and noticed there was grease everywhere and the the CV boot was ripped. For a while...probably a few weeks, while i would be driving and would make a turn i would hear a knocking sound coming from that wheel. I put my wheel back on and while the car was still jacked up i shook the wheel and it had a little play in it and would move and make that knocking sound slightly.

I found on ecstuning.com a few different things that relate to my problem...but ive never had something like this happen so idk what i should do.

Should I:

1. Replace the entire axel
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Driveshaft/ES7993/

2. Replace the CV joint
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Driveshaft/ES4192/

The price really isnt much different from one to the other...but i use the car as my DD for school and work so i would need to be able to knock out the replacement in a day or so...has anyone installed an axel or replaced the cv joint? if so, can to tell me how long it took and how difficult installing one over the other is?

thanks for the help guys [up]

biketsai
09-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Sometimes it just makes more sense to replace the axles, it is SUPER easy to do as well. It doesnt take too long, maybe 30mins-1 hr. IIRC, Im not so sure that the movement you feel is because of the CV, it may be from something else.

Dawick3don3
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
i had the same thing happen to me. I just came from my garage ( i bought the axle because it was 45 and the repair kit was 40) i dont have a 17mm hex key so im waiting for that

slideitsidewayz
09-05-2009, 12:02 PM
i had the same thing happen to me. I just came from my garage ( i bought the axle because it was 45 and the repair kit was 40) i dont have a 17mm hex key so im waiting for that

where did you get your axel from? and what do u need the hex key for...just to take off the axel?

j2da
09-05-2009, 12:04 PM
where did you get your axel from? and what do u need the hex key for...just to take off the axel?

the 17mm hex is used for the axle bolt, the bolt you can see once you take your center caps off.

slideitsidewayz
09-05-2009, 12:08 PM
ah alright i know exactly what your talking about.

Anyone know of a place where i can get an axel fairly cheap?

biketsai
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
ah alright i know exactly what your talking about.

Anyone know of a place where i can get an axel fairly cheap?

advance auto parts

jackitorslamit
09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
you can get an axle from Autozone or Advanced auto is you need it fast or go to raxles.com which is a bit more money but worth it. you can get a 17mm hex in most tool places.

slideitsidewayz
09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
very cool. thanks guys

Dawick3don3
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM

i got mine at arch auto in ny.There like a wholesale parts store for the public.Auto zone wanted 99 plus 40 for something and pepboys wanted around the same

Mike@PureMS
09-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Just depends how much time you have and how much money you're willing to spend.

Changing simply a boot is the least expensive method. It's a fine way to fix the problem if the crack in the boot is fairly new, and you haven't destroyed the joint from dirt.

Changing the CV joint may be the next most affordable step. It's the same labor involved as changing the boot alone. Cheap, but messy.

Changing the axle is probably the cleanest job, but depending on the price of the axle, maybe the most expensive. Keep in mind though, that by changing the entire axle, most aftermarket inexpensive axles are going to be made in China. You might be better off keeping your German factory Loebro axles and just changing the boot. The factory axles are pretty durable.

We've got all the bases covered whichever way you want to go. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

userbob0001
09-05-2009, 09:59 PM
If you're going to replace the axle, set aside a few days, like a weekend. Replacing the axle is easy, 2 hours if you take your time, but the bolt at the top of the steering knuckle that holds in the control arms is a mother, and that took me a good 4 hours or more of trying, giving up, finding a new and bigger tool, repeat. The head twisted right off. tried PB blaster and punches and hammers, and I cant even remember what finally got it, I think I used my neighbor's air hammer, or maybe a drill. that part was not fun. The rest was cake. ...except putting the axle back onto the transaxle. Its just tough to get a wrench in there so that you can actually twist it. Next time i might turn the wheels so that I can rotate all of them to an easy position. There are one or two places that you can get the wrench in there fine.

hiwords1
09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
germanautoparts.com is in central NY. they have very good parts and service. i've heard many stories of people replacing their whole CV shaft and still having clicking noises from their CV joint. i know for a fact a guy in town ran through 4 different shafts from different companies and finally replaced the joint and it solved the problem.

special tools you need are the 17mm allen for the axle bolt and a 12 point allen for inner CV to come off the tranny. i forget what size the 12 point is though