PDA

View Full Version : don't touch it if it works :)

SpiderBy
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey folks,

Just wanted to share with you this short story :)

A couple of days ago the first time after 8 months of driving my lovely A4 B5 1.8T I got the CEL and my engine was shaking and I really felt that either it is taking more air than needed or I was driving on 2 or 3 cylinder. The problem was there for about 5 seconds and disappeared. I was a bit busy next day but got CEL again 2 or 3 times and the same symptoms. Got home to check error codes (I have OBDII cable and VAG-COM on my laptop) and got that:

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 906 018 CH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0001
Coding: 16201
Shop #: WSC 63351
3 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Searched for the forum and found some pointers to possibly bad ignition coil at cylinder 1.

The funny thing is that my friend told me that it is always better to have a spare ignition coil in trunk and I listened to him and a half-year ago simply ordered this guy (http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=06B905115R) along with spark plugs. And I simply decided to put it on the 1st cylinder because it was new and I put an old ignition coil into the trunk.

And here we are :) After 6 months, I simply replaced the "new" ignition coil to an "old" one, cleared error codes and my car is driving great again.

The moral - it is good to be proactive but sometimes (like in software industry where I am for a while) it is better to not replace those things which work :)

Maybe it is my luck or Bremi/STI is actually not the best ignition coil, so any comments on what is the best replacement for my stock coils are welcome (still think I'd better to have a spare one :) ).

Happy driving!

allspooledup
09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
You want the Hitachi Revision E coil packs. STis are crap. Blew two in six months.

Seerlah
09-04-2009, 12:09 PM
x2 on the Hitachi E coil packs. I have an AWM and have those after I blew 2 revised R versions. So, just a heads up. The R version you have in there now are just as bad as the L version.

SpiderBy
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Guys, it is funny but my friend (who suggested to buy a spare coil) just called me and told his ignition coil has just died! He had a spare one, got it installed and now he is good. Not sure how he managed to figure out which exactly ignition coil has died (perhaps simply checked all combinations) but when he tried to connect his VAG-COM, he could not read anything because VAG-COM is not "seeing" any controller. Are there chances some fuse broke and that's his problem? Any suggestions?

And thank you for the suggestions on a new ignition coil, exactly what I was looking for and one more time to thank the forum guys for being so helpful!

Wholsea
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
If you can find them, the beru bolt down type coils are the bomb...

145k miles on the original beru bolt down coils on my AEB motor.

Don't know why VW Decided to go to the cheap coils when they got it right with the ones on the earlier 1.8t motors.

Mawhitey
09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
If you can find them, the beru bolt down type coils are the bomb...

145k miles on the original beru bolt down coils on my AEB motor.

Don't know why VW Decided to go to the cheap coils when they got it right with the ones on the earlier 1.8t motors.

Has to be cost , everything comes down to that in the end

terraflata
09-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Has to be cost , everything comes down to that in the end

Has to be. The coils on my AEB were running great before I took her apart. 205+K km`s.