PDA

View Full Version : Another whaddyea think thread

NeedingAnAudi
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 99.5 A4 1.8T. Car is in pretty good shape exterior has some nicks and dents, and the interior is in mint condition. The only problem to me is that the car has 171000 miles. Now I come from a chevy/gm family so 171k seems like the car is nearing the end or, in the case of my last car, has already spun a crankshaft bearing.

Ok, so on average, how long do you guys think A4's will last? And just in case I have my flame suit ready

Seerlah
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
It really depends on how well taken care the car was. There are many people on this site whom have more than that on their clock. I know one of the moderators (Jim aka onemoremile) for this section hasa Jetta that he took well above 250k. The odometer stopped there, but he kept it well maintained.

With 171k on the clock, just make sure the cylinders have good compression, give the car a very good visual inspection (cv boots, control arms, etc). I would actually bring a boost leak tester with me, VAG Com, and a person whom knows these cars well with me before purchasing. That would maybe be the safest route.

NeedingAnAudi
09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Wanna point me in the direction of a good a4 az'er in chicago?

alifelessplague
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
i met a guy a few months back who picked up b5 a4 with 234k miles the car was still running well on the STOCK ko3. sooo, hey..

Seerlah
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Wanna point me in the direction of a good a4 az'er in chicago?

You should ask in the regional Forum. I think this (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
would be the proper place to post, for you.

NeedingAnAudi
09-04-2009, 10:17 AM
You should ask in the regional Forum. I think this (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
would be the proper place to post, for you.

Yea maybe, it was a toss up between a4 or midwest

Seerlah
09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I know the moderator of this section (Jim aka onemoremile) lives in Grand Rapids, MI which seems to be maybe a 2-3hour drive from Chicago. You can maybe send him a private message, email him, or give him a call to see if he will inspect it with you for a certain fee. I only say to ask for a fee because he will have to travel a distance, but I think if he was a couple minutes away he would have maybe just asked for some beer[cool].

jsquillz22
09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
pick me

Seerlah
09-04-2009, 12:11 PM
^And there you go[cool].

NeedingAnAudi
09-04-2009, 12:53 PM
^And there you go[cool].

Haha I put a post in the Official IL thread.

pick me

When are you free?

NeedingAnAudi
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Nevermind, car got sold while my dad had to "sleep on it." Son of a *****! [headbang]

jpcallmotor
09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry you missed it man. I've got 150K on my 98 1.8T with no problems at all really, I am in Chicago too.

nyca4tqm
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM
140k miles +..the usual issues...wheel bearings........exhaust is on the way out......rip in the seat.......nothing major.....car still kicks butt....

mainer0311
09-06-2009, 06:27 PM
If taken care of they will last along time. I went 275k on an untouched motor before it was taken out of commission. But was only replaced because the oil pan was taken out by a rock and driven until the light came on. The cyl walls still looked like mirrors, and it still have 155 psi of compression.

Cooper

andyrew
09-06-2009, 07:09 PM
You have SO many other things that fail before 175k, if you dont have a BOOK of maintenance records then dont buy it (for next time since this car sold). Look for control arms, CVs, recent pads and rotors, wheel bearings, recent brake line replacement, motor and trani mounts, clutch replacement, shock replacement, recent timing belt and water pump replacement, ect.

Those things listed will total close to 3k or more in parts alone.

AudiRacerS4
09-06-2009, 08:10 PM
my car had 86,xxx on it when i bought it 4 years ago. It now has 187,6xx miles on it with a gt2871r and the stock headgasket just blew. it lasted 100,000 of my abuse with nothing more than keeping up with the basic maintenance.

NeedingAnAudi
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM
If taken care of they will last along time. I went 275k on an untouched motor before it was taken out of commission. But was only replaced because the oil pan was taken out by a rock and driven until the light came on. The cyl walls still looked like mirrors, and it still have 155 psi of compression.

Cooper

Did you keep going after the oil pan?

You have SO many other things that fail before 175k, if you dont have a BOOK of maintenance records then dont buy it (for next time since this car sold). Look for control arms, CVs, recent pads and rotors, wheel bearings, recent brake line replacement, motor and trani mounts, clutch replacement, shock replacement, recent timing belt and water pump replacement, ect.

Those things listed will total close to 3k or more in parts alone.

I've been lurking the forums and occasionally posting, so I know about the some of the regular maintenance. This must have been a pretty good deal, because I checked the car out Thursday night and it was gone by noon on Friday.

my car had 86,xxx on it when i bought it 4 years ago. It now has 187,6xx miles on it with a gt2871r and the stock headgasket just blew. it lasted 100,000 of my abuse with nothing more than keeping up with the basic maintenance.

You have a build thread or anything? I would love to get as much info on engine building as possible. That sounds like a solid engine, how much boost were you at?

NeedingAnAudi
09-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry you missed it man. I've got 150K on my 98 1.8T with no problems at all really, I am in Chicago too.

Are the guys in Chicago a pretty tight knit group? I haven't sought anyone out because I don't have an Audi yet.

AudiRacerS4
09-06-2009, 09:46 PM
You have a build thread or anything? I would love to get as much info on engine building as possible. That sounds like a solid engine, how much boost were you at?

yeah its in the project section, i'm doing a 1.9L built bottom end with a high rev aeb head on an hta3076r mated to a fr tubular manifold [wrench][drive] i ran my 2871r at 26-28psi w/ meth on the stock block [up]

NeedingAnAudi
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
yeah its in the project section, i'm doing a 1.9L built bottom end with a high rev aeb head on an hta3076r mated to a fr tubular manifold [wrench][drive] i ran my 2871r at 26-28psi w/ meth on the stock block [up]

I remember looking through your thread, btw I love the look of your car, the S4 bumper is my favorite Audi look ever. If in the very very VERY distance future I decide I want to build a widebody, I would mold an S4 bumper instead of using an RS4 bumper.