PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Needle bouncing

akielb
09-03-2009, 09:59 PM
My fuel level started bouncing around lately. One day it was showing low fuel, started it an hour later and I was at a 1/4 tank. Earlier tonight I was sitting at a stoplight and it started bouncing around the 1/4 mark going down to the red and back up. Made a quick stop at the gas station just in case and I only put in a little over 10 gallons.

Thoughts? Fuel sender? Anyone know where that's at?

robertbutnar
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
were you on any hills while stopped?

k0mpresd
09-03-2009, 10:21 PM
the fuel sender failing is a common problem. most of the time a wire on the sending unit tears. it can be fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron. the sender can be accessed from the trunk. just remove the cover in the back and you should see it.

i think theres a write up on audiworld on how to remove it. anyways, heres one i repaired.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/k0mpresd/100_3134.jpg

akielb
09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at it in the morning - Here is the writeup for future searchers

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec77.shtml

Chard
09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
FWIW, soldering it might be a temp fix, but it most likely won't last more than a month before it starts breaking down again. It'd be easier to just buy a new sender and change it once.

I soldered mine and it didn't last long. Ended up having to get a new unit, hence doing the job twice.

hiwords1
09-04-2009, 04:58 AM
make sure you don't have much gas left when you do it unless you like to submerge you hand in gas. the huge black piece that you take off the tank is going to be a little tough unless you have the right tool. i used 2 screw drivers and an extra pair of hands lol.

markcm
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I had the exact same problem, mine wasn't the wire, the wiper arm had actaully worn through the contacts on the board. I picked up a used sending unit on ebay for $35 shipped that looked to be in great shape and haven't missed a beat since. I used the DIY write up for removal.