PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket alarm

sgt_g
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I been searching on the forums about this for a while and can't find much info about it. I read that our factory alarms are not that good. I have a Astra start/autopage alarm that i had in one of my other vehicles and was thinking of putting it in my 01 a4. I don't plan to do the remot start portion but wanted the rest of the funnctionality. How good is the factory alarm realy and can it be upgraded with shock sensors and a real siren? I noticed that we have the super cool factory sound sensor and there is lots of cool stuff you can tell the factory remot to do like roll up the windows and the like. Anyone see why i shouldn't be able to tell the autopage alarm to do all that stuff. it has several optional outputs on it for stuff.

Thanks for any help. I won't be doing it myslef (don't realy feel like messing with it)

Seerlah
09-02-2009, 10:47 AM
If you want an alarm basicsally built to scare theives, then adding an alarm with a louder siren is ok. But if you really want to protect your vehicle from being stolen, I would suggest installing a hidden cut-out switch somewhere.

97a41.8t
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
All factory options can be integrated into any aftermarket alarm except maybe the proximity/motion sensors in the B Pillar. (Which I am trying to figure out how at the moment). However you can get aftermarket motion/glass break/shock sensors on the autopage.

You can add options and a real siren onto the factory alarm but its not worth the time.

biketsai
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
If you want an alarm basicsally built to scare theives, then adding an alarm with a louder siren is ok. But if you really want to protect your vehicle from being stolen, I would suggest installing a hidden cut-out switch somewhere.

Ah, lol we live in Texas so none of that goes on here =] (well not as often as Upstate). I upgraded my factory horn, my friend had an extra siren laying around from his Viper kit and I just spliced the wires from the stock harness and wired it to my siren which now sits in my engine bay.