PDA

View Full Version : Is there a rear wheel bearing DIY writeup? Only seeing front

phoneyman
09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I checked the Wiki here and at Audiworld, and also the slew of DIY blogs and websites in the FAQ, but could not find a writeup for the rear wheel bearing, only the front. I know they are different.

So is there a rear write up?

TIA

Broncoman75
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I checked the Wiki here and at Audiworld, and also the slew of DIY blogs and websites in the FAQ, but could not find a writeup for the rear wheel bearing, only the front. I know they are different.

So is there a rear write up?

TIA

I dont believe there is.
I was going to do one, but hell im lazy I guess. I took some pics while doing mine and they are on my photobucket..http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/Broncoman75/AUDI/

Its pretty much the same as the front, remove the (spindle, upright, hub bearing carrier, knuckle- whatever you want to call) it and have the bearing pressed out and press the new one in:
1: loosen axle bolt & loosen lug nuts
2: lift car up
3: remove wheel
4: remove caliper and rotor (also removing bracket makes it easier, also remove ebrake cable makes easier)
5: remove wheel speed sensor and hang it out of the way
6: remove upper control arm to upright bolt
7: remove sway bar link and rear tie rod from the upright
8: push cv axle out of the hub and remove the bolt
9: remove the lower control arm mounting bolt taking care to mark it before hand you you can line it up the same during re-assembly so the alignment stays true
10: take the upright to a shop with a press if you dont have one
11: press the old bearing out of the upright
12: press the hub out of the old bearing
13: press the new bearing into the upright by pressing on the OUTER RACE ONLY
14: press the hub into the new bearing backing it up on the INNER RACE ONLY
15: re-install in the reverse order using steps 1-9 above
16: have the alignment checked if necessary

ForceFed
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
yup^

phoneyman
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Awesome, thank you very much. That should def be enough info for me to figure out how to do this.

onemoremile
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
That's it! I did it a couple times over the last month.