PDA

View Full Version : Changed timing belt, now have a slight hesitation

xdewaynex
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
so i just got my car back together about and hour ago from replacing the timing belt and water pump kit from ecs tuning. everything went fine after it took me 3 tries to get my marks lined back on the gears and belt. started the car up, purs like a kitten like it did before the tear down. i noticed when coming to a stoplight and in 1st gear it hesitates and died on me once. sitting in drive thru waiting for food, i noticed it was getting a bit hotter than normal. im not quite sure as to whats going on at the moment. dont know if the hesitation is coming from where i had the battery disconnected for 24hrs or what. dont have a clue about getting hot. some please try and help me out.

myb5quattro
08-29-2009, 07:49 PM
The only thing I can say is that I noticed the warmer temperatures from idling on my car as well. I think it's from our SMIC not working, since there isn't any air flow. This may not apply to your situation at all, but just trying to help with little mechanical knowledge I have haha. Good luck either way though

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
With the battery unplugged for so long, I'd give it a day or two to relearn everything. If the hesitation continues after that, then I'd worry about it. It may just need a throttle body adaptation or something. I think it has wiped all the fuel trim info as well so I'd give it a bit to relearn.

As far as the temperature, is it the coolant temp that is getting too high (past the center mark)? Are the cooling fans kicking on? That is probably just a little bit of air in the system. You can try and bleed out some more air, or see if it works its way out on its own. Good Luck.

xdewaynex
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
i figured the ecu might have to relearn somethings as i had to reprogram my windows for the 1 hit to roll up or down, by holding the switch either way for like 15sec. the needle on the temp gauge would go past the half mark, not sure if the fans were kicking on though.

slingshot
08-30-2009, 05:19 AM
The hesitation you're describing sounds like a vacuum leak. Go back over everything and make sure all vacuum lines are connected and intact.

As for the temp, you probably have some air trapped in the cooling system. When the engine is cold, take the cap off of the coolant reservoir and run the car up to operating temperature that way. If there are any bubbles in it they should escape through the open reservoir .

xdewaynex
08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
so i went out and started my car up, left it in neutral and revved it up a few times, watched the rpms drop and no hesitation like it did yesterday. also im getting this symbol, what i can see through dead pixels http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/jramirez777/triplight_coolant.jpg

checked the coolant tank, and its dry. i used all 3litres of g12 that came w/ the tb kit, i figured that it would fill it up, but i was wrong. would i be ok going out and buying distilled water and filling it rest of the way up?

somebody5788
08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
so i went out and started my car up, left it in neutral and revved it up a few times, watched the rpms drop and no hesitation like it did yesterday. also im getting this symbol, what i can see through dead pixels http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/jramirez777/triplight_coolant.jpg

checked the coolant tank, and its dry. i used all 3litres of g12 that came w/ the tb kit, i figured that it would fill it up, but i was wrong. would i be ok going out and buying distilled water and filling it rest of the way up?

IMO the distilled water isn't even that important. I would fill it from the tap but plenty of people disagree with me (w/o any evidence to back it up though). Hell I have green coolant in mine and have for the last 20k that I have owned the car. PO did it and I don't know how long it was since he put it in. Hasn't caused me a problem yet but its not mixed with other coolants its just flushed and filled. Sound's like you didn't get the system filled correctly. Did you do 50/50 G12 and water??? Thats what your supposed to do.

xdewaynex
08-30-2009, 10:03 AM
ive always just used straight coolant and never had problems in any of my previous vehicles. at the moment its just got 3 liters of g12 and thats it, no 50/50 mix.

somebody5788
08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
ive always just used straight coolant and never had problems in any of my previous vehicles. at the moment its just got 3 liters of g12 and thats it, no 50/50 mix.

If you flush it every now and then you can be fine doing that but coolant is corrosive by nature so its best to mix it 50/50. Thats one thing I will agree with everyone is that you shouldn't run straight coolant.

xdewaynex
08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
ah, alright. we all screw up every now and then haha. guess its time to go drain some and fill up w/ water.

Siena
08-30-2009, 11:11 AM
If timing is retarded, the engine will be hesitant.
It will also run hotter.

It only needs to be -1 tooth on the cam sprocket, I'd double check.

And straight coolant, i.e concentrate without a water mix is a bad idea. Coolant needs water to activate the anti-freeze. Neat anti-freeze can actually freeze at -2 degrees celsius.

xdewaynex
08-30-2009, 11:21 AM
i checked it a couple times after reinstalling the belt. hand cranked it, and the cam gear mark lined up w/ the mark on the valve cover and the mark i made on the crank matched up exactly w/ the mark i made on the block.

xdewaynex
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
knocking on wood, the car is running fine now. done a mix of water and g12 a bit ago. took the car out and beat on it like i hadnt before. no hesitation, temp gauge stayed right in the middle like it did before tear down. im crossing my fingers it stays this way. hoping i can check the timing belt maintenance off my list and continue on to other mods.

old guy
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Just an FYI. Straight antifreeze doesn't cool for shit. you have to mix it with water to work properly.

Clicky click (http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#A)