PDA

View Full Version : help my cars weak!!

Eurotrash[A4]
08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
car will lose all power for like half a second and throw me against the seatbelt, then regain it and continue climbing through RPM's. also when at a comlete stop or in neutral it will fully shutdown and wont start back up. any ideas?

also have codes for camshaft position actuator, (system too lean?), and maf or vaf low input

could it be the ECU maybe?

flynnr
08-29-2009, 07:09 AM
probably a coilpack is bad

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 07:29 AM
probably a coilpack is bad

thats what i was thinking . should i just replace all 4?

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 02:28 PM
First, what year is your car?
Second, please post the actual codes.

The lean code and MAF code are probably caused by dirty or failing MAF, which could be causing your stalling and poor performance issues. I wouldn't replace any coil packs unless I actually had a misfire code. It sounds like a bad MAF to me.

allspooledup
08-29-2009, 02:51 PM
X2 I pulled a lean code and it was due to a bad maf. See if you can get someone in your area to vag it.

allspooledup
08-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Do you have a boost gauge?

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you have a boost gauge?

nah i have yet to get one

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
First, what year is your car?
Second, please post the actual codes.

The lean code and MAF code are probably caused by dirty or failing MAF, which could be causing your stalling and poor performance issues. I wouldn't replace any coil packs unless I actually had a misfire code. It sounds like a bad MAF to me.

its an 01
here are the codes. p0010/p0171/p0102.

but i unplugged my MAF and it still had the same problem?

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 07:38 PM
If it is running too lean there can be a couple causes:

-MAF is dirty/faulty and is under-metering incoming air
-Vacuum leak is allowing unmetered air into the engine
-Fuel delivery issue (clogged injectors, low fuel pressure, etc)
- O2 sensor is lying and it is not really running lean.

I'd probably stick with the first 2. Bad/Dirty MAF diagnosis is backed up by the MAF low input code. Clean the MAF and look for vacuum leaks.

Pay particular attention to the Large "L" hose on the intake manifold, toward the back. It likes to rip on the inside of the bend and its sometimes hard to find the leak. Also look at the PCV pipes and hoses under the intake manifold and make sure that stuff is in order.

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 07:56 PM
If it is running too lean there can be a couple causes:

-MAF is dirty/faulty and is under-metering incoming air
-Vacuum leak is allowing unmetered air into the engine
-Fuel delivery issue (clogged injectors, low fuel pressure, etc)
- O2 sensor is lying and it is not really running lean.

I'd probably stick with the first 2. Bad/Dirty MAF diagnosis is backed up by the MAF low input code. Clean the MAF and look for vacuum leaks.

Pay particular attention to the Large "L" hose on the intake manifold, toward the back. It likes to rip on the inside of the bend and its sometimes hard to find the leak. Also look at the PCV pipes and hoses under the intake manifold and make sure that stuff is in order.

yeah ive cleaned it twice already and unpluged it. i do have a rip in my vacum line not really a "L" hose but a "T" i have it taped right now lol . do you know were i could get a new one? and do you think it might possibly be a bad ECU?

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 08:02 PM
On an '01 I doubt its a bad ECU. These codes are common. Except the camshaft one, I can't find much on that. The earlier A4's had a run of ECU's with a high failure rate, but I haven't heard of the later ones having much trouble.

For the "T" hose, is it this one?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/ES8931/

or this one:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/ES3223/

If it isn't those, look around that site, they ought to have it.

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
On an '01 I doubt its a bad ECU. These codes are common. Except the camshaft one, I can't find much on that. The earlier A4's had a run of ECU's with a high failure rate, but I haven't heard of the later ones having much trouble.

For the "T" hose, is it this one?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/ES8931/

or this one:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/ES3223/

If it isn't those, look around that site, they ought to have it.

my bad im not sure if its a vacum line but its the big T hose right on top of the engine toward the rear of the car. but i startd my car and at idle it will drop a little under 1000 rpms then back up to 1000 over and over again making a repeated rev? kinda hard to explain.

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 09:31 PM
yep, sounds like a vacuum leak. When I had a leak in my PCV system the car would pulse pretty badly at idle like that. It never stalled, but I thought if it got any worse it might.

I think this is it the part you need:

Audi Part # 06B103221B

You can certainly get it from a dealership, or you can find it online. I found a few places:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KNY3A4/ref=asc_df_B001KNY3A4894881?smid=AYZ062M1ZWK81&tag=shopzilla_mp_1044-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001KNY3A4

http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/bvh003.html

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 09:37 PM
yep, sounds like a vacuum leak. When I had a leak in my PCV system the car would pulse pretty badly at idle like that. It never stalled, but I thought if it got any worse it might.

I think this is it the part you need:

Audi Part # 06B103221B

You can certainly get it from a dealership, or you can find it online. I found a few places:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KNY3A4/ref=asc_df_B001KNY3A4894881?smid=AYZ062M1ZWK81&tag=shopzilla_mp_1044-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001KNY3A4

http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/bvh003.html

yupp that the part. thx, but its tapped would it still do that. or you think there is another leak somewhere else? but i dont think that would cause my car too throw me and die on me? do you.

oh and also today i took it down the road to the store to test it out it ran crap but when i went to start it it wouldnt crank over until the second time. idk man this issue is irritating

walky_talky20
08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, it depends on how big the leak is. A large vacuum leak can cause some pretty bad driveablilty problems. How big is the leak? Do you think the tape is completely sealing it? If you have a pretty big leak, it could cause the Lean code, MAF code, pulsing idle, and the stalling. Could be multiple leaks too.

You say it wouldn't start once. Was it cranking and not firing or not cranking at all (starter motor not working)?

Eurotrash[A4]
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, it depends on how big the leak is. A large vacuum leak can cause some pretty bad driveablilty problems. How big is the leak? Do you think the tape is completely sealing it? If you have a pretty big leak, it could cause the Lean code, MAF code, pulsing idle, and the stalling. Could be multiple leaks too.

You say it wouldn't start once. Was it cranking and not firing or not cranking at all (starter motor not working)?

its fully coverd. but its real gummy. would i be able to hear the leak(s)?
it will crank ,starter motor should be okay

slingshot
08-30-2009, 05:21 AM
;4159388']camshaft position actuator...

/\ This

The cam sensor is the ecu's reference for cam timing. When it doesn't work, the computer won't fire the coils or injectors.
No coils + no injectors = ??? [;)]

And it will often happen intermittently when the sensor starts to go bad. Eventually it won't work at all and the car won't turn over.

Replace the cam sensor.

Eurotrash[A4]
08-30-2009, 06:48 AM
/\ This

The cam sensor is the ecu's reference for cam timing. When it doesn't work, the computer won't fire the coils or injectors.

And it will often happen intermittently when the sensor starts to go bad. Eventually it won't work at all and the car won't turn over.

Replace the cam sensor.

that sounds like my problem ha thx is it this?:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Cam_Sensor/ES1876/

slingshot
08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
;4162759']that sounds like my problem ha thx is it this?:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Cam_Sensor/ES1876/
Yep.
Before you order a new one try checking and/or cleaning the connector and check the wiring to the sensor. If everything looks good, you most likely have a bad sensor.

Eurotrash[A4]
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Yep.
Before you order a new one try checking and/or cleaning the connector and check the wiring to the sensor. If everything looks good, you most likely have a bad sensor.

what would i use to clean it?

slingshot
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
;4164013']what would i use to clean it?

Whatever is handy. If a dirty connector is causing the problem it's probably corroded, so either battery cleaner or something similar. If the sensor itself is cracked or something and there is gunk inside it you can use electronics cleaner but you will need to replace the sensor in that case anyway.

Eurotrash[A4]
08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Whatever is handy. If a dirty connector is causing the problem it's probably corroded, so either battery cleaner or something similar. If the sensor itself is cracked or something and there is gunk inside it you can use electronics cleaner but you will need to replace the sensor in that case anyway.

ive checked nuthing corroded and theres no gunk inside the sensor it look fine.

slingshot
08-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Then I say replace the sensor.
The issues causing the lean code and maf/vaf codes won't stall the car out mid-rev like that or keep it from starting back up once it stalls. And all three of those DTCs can be set as a result of the cam sensor not working.

markcm
08-31-2009, 10:07 AM
;4164013']what would i use to clean it?

Anyone looking to clean/condition an electrical contact of any sort, I HIGHLY recommed DeOxit GOLD which can be purchased at Radio shack, amazon.com, and the best value I found was to get the large can from musiciansfriend (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAIG-DeoxIT-Gold-G5-Spray-Contact-Conditioner-5-oz.?sku=429168)

Caig DeOxit Gold is a light cleaner and conditioner for fairly clean contacts; if you have heavily corroded contacts they have "D5" contact cleaner. Caig DeOxit is truely magical and you can use it on your car or any electrical contact in the house...

Eurotrash[A4]
08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Anyone looking to clean/condition an electrical contact of any sort, I HIGHLY recommed DeOxit GOLD which can be purchased at Radio shack, amazon.com, and the best value I found was to get the large can from musiciansfriend (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAIG-DeoxIT-Gold-G5-Spray-Contact-Conditioner-5-oz.?sku=429168)

Caig DeOxit Gold is a light cleaner and conditioner for fairly clean contacts; if you have heavily corroded contacts they have "D5" contact cleaner. Caig DeOxit is truely magical and you can use it on your car or any electrical contact in the house...

okay ill look into that thanks

Eurotrash[A4]
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Then I say replace the sensor.
The issues causing the lean code and maf/vaf codes won't stall the car out mid-rev like that or keep it from starting back up once it stalls. And all three of those DTCs can be set as a result of the cam sensor not working.

alright thats what im gana do. thx i appreciate the help

turbo944s2
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
When you are experience this thrown against the seat beat is the car in third or four gear? I was having simular issues change your spark plugs , go with some NGKs with the correct gap if you are chipped or have a turbo kit you need to run a tighter gap.

walky_talky20
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
;4159388']also have codes for camshaft position actuator

/\ This

Replace the cam sensor.

I don't believe this code refers to the cam position sensor. I believe it refers to the cam chain adjuster which actually changes the position of the intake cam (i.e. it actuates cam position). This is the Variable Valve Timing which only the '01's (AWM) have.

I have reason to believe this because P0010 = 16394. And I know for a fact that 16395 is "Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)" which I know from personal experience is a failure of the Cam Chain Adjuster/Tensioner.

I am not familiar with code 16394 in particular but I would probably start by checking the electrical resistance of the Cam Chain Adjuster/Tensioner. Then checking the voltage at the electrical connector.

This document might be helpful in checking the Cam Chain Adjuster circuit:
http://www.pvv.org/~shane/stasj/pics/motor/dokumentasjon/A4-S4_B5/Engine%20Mechanical/1.8T%25205V%2520(%2520AWM%2520)/Engine/15-92%20Camshaft%20timing%20control.pdf

I could be wrong on this, feel free to correct me. Just trying to be helpful.

slingshot
08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh wow didn't catch that!
Eurotrash, is your car an '01?

walky_talky20
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
;4161580']its an 01
here are the codes. p0010/p0171/p0102.

Yep, I asked him earlier.

Slingshot: From looking at the code, it would seem to me the code was caused by the Adjuster/Tensioner circuit. But after your discussion of the Cam position sensor, that starts to make sense as I re-read Eurotrash's syptoms (random stalling, failing to start). Perhaps the cam position code is not related to his symptoms at all.

At $100, I would want to be sure it was the sensor before I changed it.

Eurotrash[A4]
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Yep, I asked him earlier.

Slingshot: From looking at the code, it would seem to me the code was caused by the Adjuster/Tensioner circuit. But after your discussion of the Cam position sensor, that starts to make sense as I re-read Eurotrash's syptoms (random stalling, failing to start). Perhaps the cam position code is not related to his symptoms at all.

At $100, I would want to be sure it was the sensor before I changed it.

yeah i have to chang it anyways i went to start my car and i heard a "pop" ?i checked the cam sensor and it was broke but my car still starts it takes a while but it does. is that normal? but im getting a new one

Eurotrash[A4]
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't believe this code refers to the cam position sensor. I believe it refers to the cam chain adjuster which actually changes the position of the intake cam (i.e. it actuates cam position). This is the Variable Valve Timing which only the '01's (AWM) have.

I have reason to believe this because P0010 = 16394. And I know for a fact that 16395 is "Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)" which I know from personal experience is a failure of the Cam Chain Adjuster/Tensioner.

I am not familiar with code 16394 in particular but I would probably start by checking the electrical resistance of the Cam Chain Adjuster/Tensioner. Then checking the voltage at the electrical connector.

This document might be helpful in checking the Cam Chain Adjuster circuit:
http://www.pvv.org/~shane/stasj/pics/motor/dokumentasjon/A4-S4_B5/Engine%20Mechanical/1.8T%25205V%2520(%2520AWM%2520)/Engine/15-92%20Camshaft%20timing%20control.pdf

I could be wrong on this, feel free to correct me. Just trying to be helpful.

that link dosent work. got another? i dono what im doing ha so that would help

walky_talky20
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
If you know the cam sensor is physically broken then replace that before hunting for other problems. You want to fix the known problems first. A failed cam sensor can cause problems starting the car, such as having to try twice to get it to start and then it runs fine.

The link works for me. It is a pdf so you can try to right-click and save. Or try this link, and choose "15-92 Camshaft timing control".

http://www.pvv.org/~shane/stasj/pics/motor/dokumentasjon/A4-S4_B5/Engine%20Mechanical/1.8T%25205V%2520(%2520AWM%2520)/Engine/

Eurotrash[A4]
09-01-2009, 04:41 PM
If you know the cam sensor is physically broken then replace that before hunting for other problems. You want to fix the known problems first. A failed cam sensor can cause problems starting the car, such as having to try twice to get it to start and then it runs fine.

The link works for me. It is a pdf so you can try to right-click and save. Or try this link, and choose "15-92 Camshaft timing control".

http://www.pvv.org/~shane/stasj/pics/motor/dokumentasjon/A4-S4_B5/Engine%20Mechanical/1.8T%25205V%2520(%2520AWM%2520)/Engine/

yeah but i dont have a VAG idk anyone with one either

slingshot
09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
If you know the cam sensor is physically broken then replace that before hunting for other problems.
Yea.
And a physically broken cam sensor could quite possibly throw a code for incorrect cam timing advance if the pickup is out of place inside the sensor or something.
I was e-diagnosing his issue based on the symptoms, while under the impression that his code was a typical faulty cam sensor code. Turns out it's the same sensor, same symptoms, wrong problem.
Now I can say I told you so and I'm only halfway full of shit [>_<]

Eurotrash[A4]
09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Yea.
And a physically broken cam sensor could quite possibly throw a code for incorrect cam timing advance if the pickup is out of place inside the sensor or something.
I was e-diagnosing his issue based on the symptoms, while under the impression that his code was a typical faulty cam sensor code. Turns out it's the same sensor, same symptoms, wrong problem.
Now I can say I told you so and I'm only halfway full of shit [>_<]

haha calm down. yeah but it didnt physically break till i had cleaned it put it back on. i started my car and i heard a loud "pop" checked it and the shit had shatterd inside ha i may have made a mistake putting it back on or something. but ive orderd a new one anyways. hopefully thats the problem. im gana replace spark plugs too

turbo944s2
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Eurotrash when you are feeling this feeling of being thrown up against the seatbelt is your engine under a heavy load? Mine would do that in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear at wide open throttle. It did it for along time i tried everything new mafs, new air filters, coil packs, but when I changed the plugs it was a night and day difference. I wouldnt put anything in my car but and Ngk, I tried the factory bosch 3 prongers, and iridiums. They both ran like shit until I put ngks in there.

Eurotrash[A4]
09-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Eurotrash when you are feeling this feeling of being thrown up against the seatbelt is your engine under a heavy load? Mine would do that in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear at wide open throttle. It did it for along time i tried everything new mafs, new air filters, coil packs, but when I changed the plugs it was a night and day difference. I wouldnt put anything in my car but and Ngk, I tried the factory bosch 3 prongers, and iridiums. They both ran like shit until I put ngks in there.

yeah man pritty much sometimes not thos it happend in 1st once. but im gana give the ngk's a shot. where can i get them?

Eurotrash[A4]
09-16-2009, 08:52 PM
hey guys so i replaced my CAM sensor and my car ran okay no throwing against the seatbelt stuff but just recently it started to do that again!! im lost idk whats wrong im gana shoot for sparks if thats not it id say coilpacks maybe?