PDA

View Full Version : Question about timing and cam alignment

pzp107
08-28-2009, 06:56 PM
My buddy has a AGU motor code passat. 1.8t (I think 4 motion but maybe fwd). Basically he replaced the head gasket and put it all back together. I havent looked at the issue in depth by taking stuff apart so I am just posting for a quick answer since it may be easy. The timing was done properly (cam gear and valve cover marks aligned as well as crank gear marks etc) but that car wont start. If the cam sensor is rotated 180 degrees it starts and runs 100 percent. Anyone have a pic of what the cam sensor orientation should look like? He claims the cams were installed per some manual he had. Is their pins or holes that should mark up for some kind of orientation? Can teh cam gear be keyed 180 degrees out? Any help would be great.

He also has push down coil packs.The harness has a few extra wires: 2 ground to the valve cover and the other one to a capacitor or small relay looking box thing. the box thing is cut off from the wire. Is it important, as in what does it do or replacement? Is it a noise filter? Help would be appreciated.

Mawhitey
08-29-2009, 06:53 AM
TBH if the cam timing was genuinly that far out, he would have heard the clattery of tiny valves by now. So i must assume he has either put the sensor ring on the wrong way or the sender itself.

AGU is a engine code for a Golf/Rabbit 1.8t so maybe its had a head swap earlier in it's life

pzp107
08-29-2009, 09:13 PM
have a picture of the correct way to get it on?