PDA

View Full Version : dips destroyed a/c

koncluded
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
So I forgot about this dip in the new area when i was driving through; i managed to bottom out hard enough to blow both the a/c hoses. I currently have no a/c in Texas, and it's really hot

I took it in a shop to take a look at it, and the price breakdown is:
A/C hose part #8D0 260 701H 235.00
2 134 A refrigerant #R 134A 27.96
universal frigi-quie #7018 38.99
plus labor it'll end up being 659.36

would it be possible to DIY this ?? or would it rather be worth it to let them do it
could i just junkyard an a/c hose off another a4??

helpppp pleaseee

TIA

-Kevin

Bimmerman
08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I would source the hose some where else. There are places that make hoses if you have the old one to match it might be possible.

They are charging you around 380 labor seems kinda high. If anything I would buy/install the hose on my own then take it some where to have it vac and recharged.

A4Rob
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Kevin, just source the lines used and replace them yourself. You will probably need a new AC drier which can be bought from Pure MS for about $50.

Install the new parts then bring it to a good AC shop to have it charged. Good luck

Bimmerman
08-27-2009, 09:23 PM
For the $660 they are charging you, you could buy a set of gauges and a vac down pump and still have money left over. Then you could do a/c yourself.

zrowcool
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
i would get the line myself, checking for leaks, vac and recharge runs about 100 in nyc. thats should put you in the 250-300 range.

BrokeDown[20V]
08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
This is why you should buy a skidplate, low or not...
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/1997GTi/DSCN1453.jpg

Nothing on the car is broken. Besides the alignment.

The panzer plate protects everything.

aytheory
08-27-2009, 09:48 PM
sent you a pm about the lines

koncluded
08-27-2009, 10:21 PM
sounds good. I'll source the parts and get the drier and do it myself. Is there a DIY on audiworld or something ?

about the skid plate, i've been meaning to look more into that but the only issue i have with it is if i spill out oil when i take out the filter cause even with my extractor i get owned on that part and i wouldn't want oil all over the plate. But since all this crap has happened, I'll definitely look into it

thanks for all the help guys

bob12312357
08-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Charge your own ac, real simple. Pull off the plastic cover under the hood under the passenger side near the firewall that is held on by the rubber strip. There are 2 black caps,unscrew the smaller one, get refrigarent and a hose from pepboys for 40 bucks. Make sure to shake the bottles well b4 hand. Now put the hose on the bottle,snugly,but don't over tighten. Set the dial on the hose for the ambiant temp outside. Get in car,set A/C for full blast and the lowest temp. Pull back the tip of the hose that goes on the recharge port for the car and place on the recharge port that you just removed the cap for,this part is impossible 2 screw up since the hose only fits one port. Now turn the little screw with the pin on the hose to pierce the bottle top, then back out the screw so refrigarent starts flowing out. Just stand there and roll the bottle side 2 side for a bit it takes a while, the small bottles take around 5 minutes,and the bigger bottles at least 8-10. Even when it feels real light its not done. When the bottels empty or nearly so it will start to feel much cooler then when you started. Keep rolling it around while its charging. To change bottles while charging fully close the screw or knob on top that has the pin that punctured the bottle. Remove hose,unscrew bottle,and screw a fresh one on. Now keep an eye on the gauge, when it reads the pressure it should for the outside temp your done. Close valve on hose. Remove hose,put cover back on port then replace plastic trim and put the rubber piece and your done. You'll need about 1.5-1.8 pounds to fill it from empty depending on outside temp I think. It's much easier then I made it sound. I can prob shoot a vid if u want over the weekend and e-mail u. Really takes 30 seconds to get ready for charging.

whoace
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Charge your own ac, real simple. Pull off the plastic cover under the hood under the passenger side near the firewall that is held on by the rubber strip. There are 2 black caps,unscrew the smaller one, get refrigarent and a hose from pepboys for 40 bucks. Make sure to shake the bottles well b4 hand. Now put the hose on the bottle,snugly,but don't over tighten. Set the dial on the hose for the ambiant temp outside. Get in car,set A/C for full blast and the lowest temp. Pull back the tip of the hose that goes on the recharge port for the car and place on the recharge port that you just removed the cap for,this part is impossible 2 screw up since the hose only fits one port. Now turn the little screw with the pin on the hose to pierce the bottle top, then back out the screw so refrigarent starts flowing out. Just stand there and roll the bottle side 2 side for a bit it takes a while, the small bottles take around 5 minutes,and the bigger bottles at least 8-10. Even when it feels real light its not done. When the bottels empty or nearly so it will start to feel much cooler then when you started. Keep rolling it around while its charging. To change bottles while charging fully close the screw or knob on top that has the pin that punctured the bottle. Remove hose,unscrew bottle,and screw a fresh one on. Now keep an eye on the gauge, when it reads the pressure it should for the outside temp your done. Close valve on hose. Remove hose,put cover back on port then replace plastic trim and put the rubber piece and your done. You'll need about 1.5-1.8 pounds to fill it from empty depending on outside temp I think. It's much easier then I made it sound. I can prob shoot a vid if u want over the weekend and e-mail u. Really takes 30 seconds to get ready for charging.

Some advice...don't do what this guy ^^ says. Rob knows what he's talking about. Anytime an A/C system is exposed to the atmosphere, the receiver/dryer needs to be replaced. There is a dessicant in there that picks up moisture. Moisture = Bad as it makes the system work harder. That is why you need to place the system under vacuum before you charge it. Water boils in 29"Hg of vac which will evaporate all the moisture in the system. It also ensures that you have no further leaks. The system should be placed under vac for about half an hour. Those crappy refill kits you get at pepboys and such contain propane, not refridgerant. If you have a leak and your system is full of propane and hits a heat source, your car goes boom. Also, static pressure (in which A/C operates) is about 7 PSI higher than ambient temp. Last, an A/C recovery machine will inject some pag oil into the system to clean and lubricate.

koncluded
08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Some advice...don't do what this guy ^^ says. Rob knows what he's talking about. Anytime an A/C system is exposed to the atmosphere, the receiver/dryer needs to be replaced. There is a dessicant in there that picks up moisture. Moisture = Bad as it makes the system work harder. That is why you need to place the system under vacuum before you charge it. Water boils in 29"Hg of vac which will evaporate all the moisture in the system. It also ensures that you have no further leaks. The system should be placed under vac for about half an hour. Those crappy refill kits you get at pepboys and such contain propane, not refridgerant. If you have a leak and your system is full of propane and hits a heat source, your car goes boom. Also, static pressure (in which A/C operates) is about 7 PSI higher than ambient temp. Last, an A/C recovery machine will inject some pag oil into the system to clean and lubricate.

thanks for the look out whoace[cool]

biketsai
08-31-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks for the look out whoace[cool]

Hey Kevin, it wouldnt hurt to hit up Watson, he has the pressurizing machines.

koncluded
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Hey Kevin, it wouldnt hurt to hit up Watson, he has the pressurizing machines.

true but at the same time it's been so long since i've been back plus, he seemed more and more ticked off when i came in to do the test pipe with you last year lol. i think he hates audi's and kids in general lol [>_>]

btw i bought the a/c hoses, i just need to purchase the drier tomorrow or something.