PDA

View Full Version : Alternator...

sneekz206
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Is there a DIY somewhere for removing and replacing an alternator for a B5?
I can't find them anywhere not even on audidiy.com

ShawFM
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
which engine? What year. AEB/ATW are the same ATQ, AWM are different iirc

20vpower
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
2 mounting bolts (allen), 2 wire connections, loosen the belt from the tensioner and pull out. Will need to disconnect throttle body hose.

DGAFxxx
08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
You pretty much need to put your car in the service position to do this. It's super easy once you get your car in the service position. Also I highly reccomend putting on a new belt while your at it.

ShawFM
08-27-2009, 04:35 PM
You pretty much need to put your car in the service position to do this. It's super easy once you get your car in the service position. Also I highly reccomend putting on a new belt while your at it.
I think I was able to get mine out with out service position. But I recall cutting my hands a bit on the fan. Gloves might be in order.

pipe7284
08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
you definately dont need to put it in service position.
Two bolts hold the alternator on to the bracket. The top one is just an allen key that unscrews from the front. The bottom one is a bit bigger and unbolts from the back of the alternator and it has a nut on the front. Its a bit of a tight space but it can be done. Make sure you remove the two cables from the back of the alternator. I believe you`ll need a 12mm and a 8mm ratchet/cup for both cables. Also remove the Throttle body to intercooler rubber hose. AND loosen the bottom bolt of the bracket attaching the intake manifold to the block. You`ll see it its kind of like a rod attached on both ends to hold the manifold.
good luck

sneekz206
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
ok i got the ground wire out but im trying to figure out how to pull that plastic plug behind the alternator im really having trouble taking this out.

A picture of that plug would help but if there is a certain technique it would be great.

Thanks everyone for the good advice!

hiwords1
08-27-2009, 07:36 PM
there should be a nuts holding the positive wire on the alternator. just take it off. as for the starter cable you need to cut the 2 zipties and then undo the snap catches. that's what the book says anyways