PDA

View Full Version : Clutch acting up...slipping sometimes when in boost (3k+)

Richard
08-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Let me first give you all the rundown. I have a 2001 A4 sport Quattro with a Southbend Stage 2 clutch and AWE lightweight flywheel. My performance mod is limited to just tuning (91 from APR) and am not running anything else special. I had this combination installed 30k miles ago by a local Audi shop and had no problems with it for 29k of those miles. But in the past two weeks, the car has decided to randomly slip while in gear. It catches for the first 3k of each gear, but as soon as the turbo spools full, it slips out. But then after a little very very nice driving, it goes back to normal.

Now, my driving style is what my friends refer to as slow. I do not race the car (track or street), have dumped the clutch 3 times (last year) and generally do not go balls-to-the-wall while driving. I did however go over two very large mountain passes at 75 to 85 two weeks ago (+10,000 elevation gain four times- there and back), which is when the problem started.

I had the feeling I put too much pressure on the clutch, but would it still be acting up two weeks later? Should I just start looking for a new clutch setup and go from there, or are there any remedies I should look at first. I would prefer not to drop the tranny unless necessary as I need my car every day at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2001A4QUATTRO
08-22-2009, 09:16 AM
That is exactly what happened to me... I would almost put money that the input shaft seal is spraying oil on your clutch... If you repair it soon you should not even have to buy a new clutch. Mine was oem when it happened, now I have a stage 4... The seal is hella cheap but not the labor.. LOL

Richard
08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
That is exactly what happened to me... I would almost put money that the input shaft seal is spraying oil on your clutch... If you repair it soon you should not even have to buy a new clutch. Mine was oem when it happened, now I have a stage 4... The seal is hella cheap but not the labor.. LOL

Interesting....I didnt even think of the seal. What as the cost of this for you?

2001A4QUATTRO
08-22-2009, 02:28 PM
It happened to me while I was waiting to put in my stage 4. Labor for the clutch job was like $700. That included the motul trans oil as well. The seal was about $20.. LOL Luckily I needed to do my clutch anyway... The symptoms were very strange exactly like you are describing.. Get it checked out before you smoke your clutch!

Richard
08-22-2009, 04:00 PM
It happened to me while I was waiting to put in my stage 4. Labor for the clutch job was like $700. That included the motul trans oil as well. The seal was about $20.. LOL Luckily I needed to do my clutch anyway... The symptoms were very strange exactly like you are describing.. Get it checked out before you smoke your clutch!

Time to make some calls, but I may just replace the clutch for good keeping anyways at the same time...might as well while in there, right?

biketsai
08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Time to make some calls, but I may just replace the clutch for good keeping anyways at the same time...might as well while in there, right?

Of course! I got mine from Ringer Racing at a price better than everyone else.