PDA

View Full Version : What equipment is needed to connect an XM reciever to my aftermarket car stereo?

CTA4AVANT
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
I have a Sony CDX-M600 headunit that is not XM Ready.

I wanted to hardwire an XM receiver to my headunit but apparently that is not possible with the Sony I have so I have to go with the FM modulator.

I am looking at either the SkyFi2 or Roady2 receivers with the built-in FM modulator.

Other than an antenna and a cradle, is there anything else I need to run XM in my car?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

FITZ TITS
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
ask e.van i think he did it.

D Piddy
12-15-2004, 08:19 PM
don't get an FM modulator. they sound like shit. sell yur HU, buy an alpine and the XM receiver and do the job right. it'll make a world of difference

e.van
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
If it has a built in FM modulator, then you should only need the antenna, cradle, power supply, and input for the audio.

Mine consisted of the following:

- Delphi receiver
- XM car kit (antenna, cradle, cig. adapter, tape input)
- XM CAR kit (FM modulator - power and input to antenna)

Without getting a new head unit, you will have to use the FM modulator, unless you use a tape adapter (which I did for a while and ran the wires behind the trim (was still noticeable but not so much). Sound quality was excellent, but I was looking for 'stealth' in the stereo area.

I did mine on the stock stereo which meant I had to splice the antenna wires (different adapter types). It was really straightforward, and the sound is fine, but it does have a noticeable amount of background 'fuzz').

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/adamsonem/nov13/DSC02266.jpg

4ingDrive
12-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Do not use a wireless fm modulator! If that's what it has.