PDA

View Full Version : FML clutch

t1demont1
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
my clutch broke under normal driving conditions... POS has like 5000 miles on it. [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/t1demont1/CopyofCenter_clutch.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/t1demont1/CopyofMe_and_clutch.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/t1demont1/Copyofclutch_disk.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/t1demont1/yay_clutch.jpg

Militant-Grunt
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
What clutch is that?

flynnr
08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
i think he meant what clutch WAS that? ;)

Militant-Grunt
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Just checked his build thread. South Bend stage 5, how am I NOT surprised.

Honestly I'm glad mine failed too, I would never put up with this. South Bend has some serious quality issues.

t1demont1
08-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Indeed they do... what are you running now?

biketsai
08-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Ouch! I cant believe something as important as that would break like that. Clutchmasters ftw!

t1demont1
08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah well clutchmasters wasn't doing shit for our cars when I bought this... and southbend was supposed to be the shit back in the day

J Ozzie
08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Just checked his build thread. South Bend stage 5, how am I NOT surprised.

Honestly I'm glad mine failed too, I would never put up with this. South Bend has some serious quality issues.

Yes they fucking do... Dont think ill be going with SB again.. [headbang]

Militant-Grunt
08-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Indeed they do... what are you running now?

I currently have a custom build 3700lbs dual diaphragm clutch. Essentially two Vr6 clutch space stuck together on a Sachs A4 hat. This is paired to a 4 puck ceramic. I could have one made for you if you're interested. Though this is a very heavy clutch, its like pushing against a 20lbs weight constantly, after about a week you get used to it and don't notice it, but its still there.

Its basically a clutch for a madman like me.

mike-2ptzero
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow I have never seen a offset unsprung disk tabs break like that.

99blueb5
08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Damm that's pretty bad quality. Seems like every day I'm hearing worse and worse things about SB an there products. I thought they were "good products" I'm leaning more towards clutchmasters now

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Have any pictures of the flywheel? Just wondering if the clutch fused itself to the disk and instead of the disk coming loose the tabs snapped instead.

J Ozzie
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM
sooner or later SB will be Done.. and CM sales will be way up!!

t1demont1
08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
TerialI can take a pic of the flywheel but it didn't look like it had been fused. Its a stage 5 which doesn't have the material that welds itself to flywheels

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2009, 07:20 PM
sooner or later SB will be Done.. and CM sales will be way up!!

Actually CM sales are up already, but there will always be those that want SB because the engagement is really low to the floor even though CM could do the same thing if someone wanted.

biketsai
08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Actually CM sales are up already, but there will always be those that want SB because the engagement is really low to the floor even though CM could do the same thing if someone wanted.

Lol, mine engages SOO high! Any way to adjust?

J Ozzie
08-09-2009, 04:24 AM

What! SB isnt low to the floor... its stock height! [headbang]

J Ozzie
08-09-2009, 04:25 AM
TerialI can take a pic of the flywheel but it didn't look like it had been fused. Its a stage 5 which doesn't have the material that welds itself to flywheels

Yeah it does the metallic shit! Look at the pics.. Same crap i have on mine that i just fused 2 weeks ago. [headbang]

mike-2ptzero
08-09-2009, 07:02 AM
What! SB isnt low to the floor... its stock height! [headbang]

The SS is lowering to the floor, the HD is higher and less pedal pressure. Most people that buy the SB clutch are buying the Stage 4 and stage 3 which comes with the SS pressure plate.

You are kidding me right? I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't know what I was talking about.

The stage 5 is the FE disk, it has the same FE material on the flywheel side as the OFE stage 3 and stage 4. The FE material is a metal material that ends up getting fused to the other metal surface when it is allowed to slip for 2+ seconds.

Plus in your pictures of the disk I see a shiny ring all the way around the disk on the flywheel side and thats what the disks tend to look like when they have fused to the flywheel surface.

GURUMAN
08-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Time to go like this:

http://www.dmmotorsport.com/pic/IMG_3860.jpg

mike-2ptzero
08-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I dont see that fitting in a 01a transmission, there is barely enough room for a twin plate and those bolts sticking out the top would just end up hitting the tranmission wall. Plus the fact that a clutch setup for a 2.7 is NEVER going to work on a 1.8t.

This is the one he wants, it fits and is actually designed for the 1.8t. It even has a sprung top disk to help reduce the tq shock to the gears. Plus at $2100 retail its about $400 cheaper. Plus I dont see a 1.8 transmission doing all that well with a clutch that has 3 sintered iron disks which is going to be a huge on/off switch.

http://www.centralvalleyspeed.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10093/A4-FX850.JPG

LaserRedKid
08-09-2009, 08:49 AM
The SS is lowering to the floor, the HD is higher and less pedal pressure. Most people that buy the SB clutch are buying the Stage 4 and stage 3 which comes with the SS pressure plate.

That is not my case, i have the stage 3 and it engage all the way up on top.
I wonder how i can change that too.

mike-2ptzero
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
That is not my case, i have the stage 3 and it engage all the way up on top.
I wonder how i can change that too.

Stage 3 is a HD so its going to have a mid to high pedal engagement.

Also the engagement point will be different depending on the flywheel, so a flywheel that has the surface area further down from where the pressure plate bolts onto the flywheel will have a higher pedal engagement.

Example.

If you took a stock flywheel and had it resurfaced but only the surface area was resurfaced the engagement point would then be higher on the pedal then it was with the stock flywheel before it as resurfaced. This is why its important that both spots get cut down the same amount when the flywheel is resurfaced.

So now if you put in a flywheel that has a smaller distance between the surface of the flywheel and the spot where the pressure plate bolts onto then the pedal engagement will also be higher. If you reduce that height difference you will in fact move the pedal engagement point down in 2 ways, first off is it will increase the pre-load since the pressure plate will sit higher off of the flywheel before you tighten the bolts down and the other is that it will lower the stack height of the whole clutch system moving the fingers slightly further away from the transmission which means the slave needs to travel further to push the fingers in.

t1demont1
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Alright, ill take your word for it mike. Ill try to take some pics of the flywheel soon. The car is at a buddies house right now since i was on my way to his place when it snapped. It may have welded to the flywheel but i find it very hard to belive since I was in second gear when it snapped. Leaving the light felt normal and the shift to second felt normal as well. I was just giving it a few psi of boost getting up to the speed limit and all the sudden im hitting the rev limiter. I never had an issue being locked out of gears or anything like others whom have welded the flywheel to the clutch.

dwi_gti
08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Just got off the phone with SB, only clutch compnay that acualy had a warrenty and went threw with it. Had a clutch started slipping like crazy and acualy gave me a good credit on my old clutch to a new one, but i also bought a singlemass flywheel from them. Those dualmass stock ones blow (that what you had right t1demont1). Mike any idea if a clutchmaster fx500 will work with a SB singlemass steel FW?

mike-2ptzero
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Only other thing I could think of that would cause that is the driveline locking up while the motor is spinning causing the disk itself wanted to keep up with the engine/flywheel while the hub and input shaft of the drive shaft wanted to completly stop. Normal driving just isn't going to snap those 8 tabs on its own.

dwi_gti
08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
any idea if a clutchmaster will work is a SB singlemass steel flywhee? t1demont1 just reuse your flywheel and go to a fx500, i think thats my next move

t1demont1
08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a 9lb Fidanza. its been machined for sprung hub clutches. I would like to go clutchmasters, but if they are willing to replace the clutch then ill just run that. I called them today and they told me to ship it out to them so the warranty department can have a looksie

mike-2ptzero
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
any idea if a clutchmaster will work is a SB singlemass steel flywhee? t1demont1 just reuse your flywheel and go to a fx500, i think thats my next move

Yes it will.

BTW no more FX500, CM is changing the line up and the FX500 will now just be a FX400 with a ridged disk(unsprung). It will have a R at the end of the part number while the sprung version will have a S at the end. If you are running a LWFW you will want a FX400 with the sprung disk and if your running a stock dual mass flywheel you will need a offset disk if you plan on going with a 6 puck disk, this is an option that CM can offer.

t1demont1
08-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Would cm sell just the clutch disk? Would be nice since my pressure plate is practically new.

mike-2ptzero
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Would cm sell just the clutch disk? Would be nice since my pressure plate is practically new.

Yes, but when you change disks you want to make sure the flywheel and pressure plate are resurfaced or cleaned because any micro grooves will cause the new disk to wear quickly.

lowandslow4now
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow I remember about a year ago Southbend was on top of its game and was the most recommended on this board. But now they have fallen off bad. I am glad I havent changed mine yet but soon I will make that choice and it definetely won't be Southbend. Good luck on your next clutch.