PDA

View Full Version : TIP mode

Redg2
08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
So other than being able to manually shift gears and the redline being higher, what else happens in tip mode?

oneohone
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't believe the redline raises. And I don't think nothing else happens lol.

euroguru
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
i know with mine when i redline the car automatically shifts up to the next gear at a certain point. it allow lets it get so close to the redline. and same goes for down shifting. if you have it in tip mode and start slowing down for a light or something the car will automatically shift down gears.

so really the tip mode is just for shits and giggles. i like kicking it in on the highway to pass people and using it entering and exiting corners. i know its no where near a manual. but i still find it fun :)

walky_talky20
08-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I notice that the torque converter locks up sooner and stays locked pretty much all the time in Tip mode (for gears 2-5).

That has to be the thing I hate most about driving in "D". When accelerating normally it feels like it shifts twice for every single gear (shift, lock-up, shift, lock-up, etc). With Tiptronic keeping the converter locked up it gets rid of all the "rubber band", slushy feel of the automatic. The power delivery is much more direct because the ratio is locked, which I like.

Also, you get to use the *whole* gas pedal. My car is chipped and I am always wary of just mashing the pedal because it would ask the tranny to downshift hard under full chipped torque. In Tip mode, I choose a gear, then mash the pedal without the tranny freaking out and slamming me into 2nd. I don't think my APR chip would be worth it without Tip mode.

Just what I've noticed.

euroguru
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
yeah ive noticed that too. good point.

and another thing if you the brake while in 1 or 2. and maybe even 3 gear. it will automatically kick you up 2 gears. not saying this is a smart thing to do. but i would have to say try at least once. haha.

walky_talky20
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Wow, I never noticed that, but I guess I never tried it. You're saying hit the brake with your left foot while still on the gas? I know it does crazy stuff when you hit the "kick down" switch at the bottom. Like woah...don't hit that button unless you're ready for it.

oneohone
08-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I like using tip mode when I am speeding up in a high gear so the car doesn't downshift. I can stay in the current gear and just build boost to speed up.

euroguru
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow, I never noticed that, but I guess I never tried it. You're saying hit the brake with your left foot while still on the gas? I know it does crazy stuff when you hit the "kick down" switch at the bottom. Like woah...don't hit that button unless you're ready for it.

just mash the gas pedal and it automatically shifts down 2 gears. no brake involved. and what kick down switch are you talking about?

walky_talky20
08-04-2009, 09:38 PM
and another thing if you the brake while in 1 or 2. and maybe even 3 gear. it will automatically kick you up 2 gears.

Sorry, I was confused by your previous comment, and thought you meant to hit the brake pedal

The kick down switch is the momentary electrical switch at the bottom of the gas pedal. You depress the pedal all the way to the bottom, then push a bit further it operates the switch. You can feel it too. It is spring loaded so you can try it out with the car off.

On the B5, it operates the "emergency downshift" for when you mash the pedal and forgot you're in TIP. I believe it also switches off the A/C compressor clutch no matter what mode you are in to give you more power. The HVAC diagnostics reads this switch as an input anyhow. Whether it uses it, I am unsure. This will require some testing to determine.

euroguru
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
i know what you are talking about now. and thats what i mean by mashing the pedal. it actives that emergency thing and downshifts twice. pretty cool. but like i said. wouldn't do it all the time. im sure it has the same effect if the car is in tip mode or not. but in tip mode you can physically see the car downshift. in the cluster where it shows the gears. and feel it. hahah.